Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2021, 03:07 PM   #1
Shinkle_d

Water pump

I have a new travel trailer. The first time I was camping with it. The water pump kept cycling on and off when water was not in use. Called the dealer they don't have any opening until August. I have checked all the connections I can get to. I don't see any leaks! Please help.
Shinkle_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:04 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Did you purge both hot and cold water lines? You have to open all faucets to get the air from the lines including all sinks, showers, the outside shower, and hold down the toilet flush until a steady streamof water flows.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:10 PM   #3
Shinkle_d

I'll give it a shot. When the pump is not on I hear water flowing through the line. Is there a check valve somewhere in the system? Is there a piping diagram of where all the connections are?
Old 06-25-2021, 04:15 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Outdoor shower on? Are you hooked to city water and using the water pump (water flowing when the pump is off)? All drains closed?
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:36 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

Just to clarify, you only use the water pump when drawing water from the onboard tank. If connected to city water, the pump should be off and not used.

There is a check valve in the city water line that is supposed to prevent city water from back-feeding through the pump and into the fresh water tank.

If you are connected to city water, and pump is off and you sense water flowing in the pipes and you can’t find a leak, try turning off all water supply, drain the fresh water tank and when empty, turn water supply back on and see if tank fills by itself.

Other ideas:

If there was manufacturing debris in the tank, it easily could get sucked into the pump and cause the diaphragm not to seal right and allow water to leak back into the tank. Mine did that and i installed an inline screen filter on the inlet side of the pump and flushed the system and no more issues.

Have you looked under the trailer for water leaking out anywhere? You can also remove the heat registers in the floor, pull up the duct boot and look down into the belly area below for signs of water.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #6
Shinkle_d

I have hooked my city water up and I have water back feeding into my fresh water tank.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:54 PM   #7
LHaven

You don't post anywhere what model trailer you own. Some trailers have a manual valve that allows filling from city water, and yours may be incompletely turned or faulty. Others just have a valve that is supposed to prevent that completely, again possibly faulty.

If you go to User CP and fill out the signature area with your truck and trailer information, people won't have to ask you this in the future.

Not sure why this would cause your pump to run, you may have more than one problem.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:33 PM   #8
Shinkle_d

Springdale SG271RL
Old 06-26-2021, 03:44 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

There aren't schematics for Keystone products. There is a check valve inbetween the water pump and the water lines. Construction debris can get caught in it and hold it open. Do you fill /he fresh water tank thru an open gravity feed hose or via the city water connection and a manual valve located in a "convenience center"? If it's the latter than you need to double check that the valve is turned in the correct orientation fully.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:42 AM   #10
NH_Bulldog

That model has a gravity water tank fill.

So what you need to do is access the water pump location, and with water off and a towel in hand, disconnect and remove the pump, take it apart and clean out the debris. Then I would install a screen filter on the inlet to prevent new debris from entering the pump and the problem should be solved. Alternatively, you could let the dealer handle it but that could mean a loooooong wait
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:46 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ducan View Post
There are several steps to bleed air from RV water lines. The first step to dealing with running water lines is to inspect the various components of the RV plumbing system. Fill the RV's fresh water tank, turn on the motorhome's water pump, and open the faucet farthest from the pump. Close faucets and other water fixtures and let the water run for a few minutes to a few hours or until the water is even. Repeat this process for each of your faucets and water-using appliances, including showers, bathroom sink faucets, and sprinklers. What you want is to remove all possible air in the lines.
Motor home? Run the water for a few hours? Sprinklers?
Old 07-10-2021, 08:14 AM   #12
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Motor home? Run the water for a few hours? Sprinklers?
Sounds like text was cribbed from an article in Camper Report, RV Life, Camper Smarts, or some other one of those clickbait/affiliate-link newsletters that have been multiplying in my mailbox since the beginning of the year.

Speaking of which, this poster is the same guy who recently made two other strange postings that looked exactly like affiliate links without the links.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:31 AM   #13
crk112

With regards to keeping debris out of your pump.. if you have a Flojet pump with the "quick connect and release" fittings, this strainer should be your ticket;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the one I bought for mine. Takes about 3 minutes to install; take the inlet pipe off the Flojet, put this strainer on the intake, and connect the inlet pipe to the strainer.

Screen is easily removed for cleaning without having to remove the entire assembly (just remember to turn the pump off and relieve the pressure before doing this.... )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flojet screen.png
Views:	144
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	34615  
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:47 PM   #14
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by crk112 View Post
Takes about 3 minutes to install
...unless Amos didn't position your pump correctly in the tiny cavity...
Old 07-12-2021, 07:05 AM   #15
crk112

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
...unless Amos didn't position your pump correctly in the tiny cavity...
Thank you, that is a very valid point

I probably should have stated once you locate the pump and remove all the "stuff" in front of it so you can actually access it... then it should take a minimal amount of time Luckily mine is under the kitchen sink behind the cabinet doors, and I've left the "fake cabinet walls" unscrewed from the floor for quick access to the pump and water heater bypass... I tend to forget some campers have the pumps under the bed, behind a mess of wires or plumbing, or on the roof hehe
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump