I apologize in advance as this may be a long post.
I researched how to winterize my water system on our 2013 new-to-us 238ML Passport Ultra Lite. I found a YouTube video and followed it to the letter, taking the following steps:
1. Took off my fresh water low point drain cap....also, my hot and my cold low point drains.
2. I emptied the hot water heater and as instructed in the video, left the plug off for winter for any residual water to expand.
3. I shut off the water supply to water heater.
4. Turned on the water pump and let it run long enough until no more water came out of the drains (about five minutes). Turned the water pump off.
5. I installed the fresh water drain, hot and cold drain caps back on.
6. I poured 7 gallons of RV antifreeze into the 30 gallon freshwater tank and turned on the water pump.
7. I ran water through hot and cold faucets in kitchen, bathroom, shower, toilet, and external shower until I saw pink antifreeze.
I noticed that when I ran the cold side in the kitchen, the water volume was great, as was the cold water in the bathroom sink and shower. What stood out to me was that the amount of hot water coming out of each faucet was much less. I was able to get pink to come out the hot side but it in some cases it wasn’t much more than a trickle.
After doing the kitchen, I moved to the shower and tub. As I was there, I heard what sounded like water pouring out the back of the trailer. I turned the pump off and ran outside to see pink antifreeze pouring out of the drain plug to the hot water heater. I left the plug off as instructed in the video in case any residual water expanded over the winter. Since fluid pouring out the plug wasn’t supposed to happen, I reinstalled the plug.
1. What did I miss? Any ideas on what went wrong? I shut the valve (ball valve?) off so no water, in this case antifreeze would flow into the hot water tank, but it did.
2. Could there be something wrong with the shutoff valve to the hot water tank? The hot water tank is brand new and installed by the previous owner shortly before we bought the trailer. The tank has worked for us well, without any problems on our camping trips over the Summer. I don’t know if the valve or lines to the new tank are new....I’m thinking probably not.
3. Given the situation, do you think the water system is adequately protected for the winter? I saw pink through every line...hot and cold. However, the hot side was a trickle at times, but it was a pink trickle.
Below is a link to the video. Hopefully it will work and I’m going to attempt to attach a picture of the back of the tank and the shutoff valve.