RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
Wadeo68
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Berlin
Posts: 5
120 disconnected propane refrigerator wonít work

Interesting and confusing scenario. When I disconnect 120 power supply almost nothing works in 2014 Keystone Bullet. Battery is 100%. Propane fridge wonít stay on which is whatís odd. Also, when disconnected I turned the ceiling lights on the module the refrigerator turned on! Could it be a blown breaker? Faulty? All fuses and breaker appear to look fine. Thanks in advance in this mystery.
__________________

Wadeo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 19,589
I'm guessing you have a Dometic RM2652 refrigerator? If so, what happens if you leave the trailer connected to shore power and press the eyebrow "GAS/ELEC" switch? Does the refrigerator switch to gas operation? If so, the only difference is that the 12VDC is being supplied by the converter while with the shore power disconnected, the 12VDC is being supplied by the battery.
__________________

__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
Wadeo68
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Berlin
Posts: 5
I have an Atwood refrigerator. Gas and electric. We were hoping to go camping “ off” grid either the assistance of the battery but that may change. I’m wondering if there is a short somewhere which will be a needle in haystack.
Wadeo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 10,507
You need to do a little sleuthing. There are 2 different power systems in the RV, 3 if you count LP. You have 12vdc and 120vac - they power different things. What works, what doesn't? Microwave, AC, wall outlets - all AC, do they work? 120vac. Ceiling lights, water pump - do they work? 12vdc. Then you get into control modules, the converter etc. Determine exactly what works and doesn't a let us know. And, how do you know the battery is "100%"?
__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 53 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #5
Wadeo68
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Berlin
Posts: 5
Battery meter said she was 100%. Just would like to figure out why when i disconnect 120 nothing works off battery.
Wadeo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 19,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeo68 View Post
Battery meter said she was 100%. Just would like to figure out why when i disconnect 120 nothing works off battery.
The "battery meter" will always read 100% if you're plugged into shore power and will only read 4/4, 3/4, 2/4 or 1/4 if unplugged. That is, at best, a guess on what the battery condition "might be". A battery at 13.4VDC may be good with no load and may go to 10 VDC with the application of a load, so pressing that button and seeing 4 LED's doesn't mean much.

That's why I asked if the refrigerator gas function operates when you press the gas button. If it does, it's getting the 12VDC from the converter. If you unplug the trailer from shore power, then the refrigerator is getting its 12VDC from the battery. If it doesn't work without shore power, the only thing that's changed is where the 12 volts is coming from (converter or battery)... That would, to me, indicate a battery issue not a refrigerator issue.

So, does it work on gas when you switch it to gas while connected to shore power? On your model, you'd press the MODE button until the GAS indicator is lit.
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:03 PM   #7
travelin texans
Senior Member
 
travelin texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Picacho Peak Rv Resort
Posts: 3,908
My last couple RVs had 3 settings on the fridge, AC=120 volt, LP=propane, AU=automatically switched from gas to elec once plugged to shore power or vice versa.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Former '13 Redwood FB owner
Currently rvless!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #8
Roscommon48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: grand rapids
Posts: 581
wadeo....do you know what is 120 and 12volt? it is odd that when you turn something on the refrig goes on. Put the refrig on LP or AU and turn the lights off and see what happens.
good luck
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:36 PM   #9
Wadeo68
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Berlin
Posts: 5
Battery propane fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The "battery meter" will always read 100% if you're plugged into shore power and will only read 4/4, 3/4, 2/4 or 1/4 if unplugged. That is, at best, a guess on what the battery condition "might be". A battery at 13.4VDC may be good with no load and may go to 10 VDC with the application of a load, so pressing that button and seeing 4 LED's doesn't mean much.

That's why I asked if the refrigerator gas function operates when you press the gas button. If it does, it's getting the 12VDC from the converter. If you unplug the trailer from shore power, then the refrigerator is getting its 12VDC from the battery. If it doesn't work without shore power, the only thing that's changed is where the 12 volts is coming from (converter or battery)... That would, to me, indicate a battery issue not a refrigerator issue.

So, does it work on gas when you switch it to gas while connected to shore power? On your model, you'd press the MODE button until the GAS indicator is lit.

Unplugged camper from shore. Fridge works on gas.
Wadeo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
Wadeo68
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Berlin
Posts: 5
Also , battery is at one red dot per module.
Wadeo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #11
travelin texans
Senior Member
 
travelin texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Picacho Peak Rv Resort
Posts: 3,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeo68 View Post
Also , battery is at one red dot per module.
Need to purchase or find someone with a volt meter, that one red dot really tells you nothing as far as battery voltage. But sounds like you need batteries.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Former '13 Redwood FB owner
Currently rvless!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:48 AM   #12
Stumpy75
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Need to purchase or find someone with a volt meter, that one red dot really tells you nothing as far as battery voltage. But sounds like you need batteries.
A digital volt/Ohm Meter (a VOM) at Home Depot is about $15. Cheaper other places. The OP needs to buy one and have it in the tool box.

As mentioned, a battery at rest may show ok, but at load, will be bad.

Showing only one light on the panel points to a battery problem, as those light are a basic measure of battery voltage. It's unknown what voltage each light corresponds to, but only one light means the battery probably has low voltage.
__________________
Chris

2014 Keystone Outback 210TRS
2020 F150, 3.5l, 4x4, 3.55:1, Supercrew
Stumpy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:45 AM   #13
foldbak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shingle Springs
Posts: 144
A must have. Start here!


https://www.harborfreight.com/100-am...ter-61747.html
__________________

foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
propane

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×