RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
marski13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: grand prairie
Posts: 15
Smoke from a/c unit/ heater

When I turn my back unit on to heat I get a lot of smoke from it....i get it, it's like Turning your heat on at home during the 1st cold snap at home. This heater is still smoking after letting it run for 30min...not sure if this is normal. Any suggestions??

2017 keystone Laredo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
2017 Keystone Laredo
2014 F150 Ecoboost
marski13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
Dave W
Senior Member
 
Dave W's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Near Saratoga Springs,
Posts: 1,125
If it's a Dometic a/c, there are a couple of covers. one of which is a bug screen about 3x4 inches forr the heat element, the other for wiring. I would suggest that you pull the ceiling panel off** and make sure that something didn't shake down and lodge between that bug screen and the heat coil. The other should be not have any real access for crud. Aby other brand, probably similar. As a note, there is very little on that coil that will burn off and cause more the a light momentary odor as I found when installing our heat coil

**The paperwork supplied with the RV should have a set of the installation instructions for tha a/c. If not, they can be found on the net. Not a tough job for someone with at least 3 or 4 hands though with only two ...
__________________

__________________
Dave W, traveling with my DW, Susan and poodlepups, Callie and Molly with a 2011 F250 CCLB 6.7, B&W hitch and hauling a 2014 Montana HC 343RL
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team
 
chuckster57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Modesto
Posts: 12,441
New furnaces will produce smoke for a while the first time. Your dealer may not have done a proper PDI. I have ran furnaces for 1/2 hr or more to clear up the smoke.

I would shut it off. Let it set for 1/2 hr and then try again. If it creates another heavy smoke cloud, it needs to go back for warranty service. It can take a few cycles to clear all the oils.
__________________

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
marski13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: grand prairie
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
New furnaces will produce smoke for a while the first time. Your dealer may not have done a proper PDI. I have ran furnaces for 1/2 hr or more to clear up the smoke.

I would shut it off. Let it set for 1/2 hr and then try again. If it creates another heavy smoke cloud, it needs to go back for warranty service. It can take a few cycles to clear all the oils.
Thanks, I will check it. I just don't want to burn the trailer down....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
__________________
2017 Keystone Laredo
2014 F150 Ecoboost
marski13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #5
marski13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: grand prairie
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
If it's a Dometic a/c, there are a couple of covers. one of which is a bug screen about 3x4 inches forr the heat element, the other for wiring. I would suggest that you pull the ceiling panel off** and make sure that something didn't shake down and lodge between that bug screen and the heat coil. The other should be not have any real access for crud. Aby other brand, probably similar. As a note, there is very little on that coil that will burn off and cause more the a light momentary odor as I found when installing our heat coil

**The paperwork supplied with the RV should have a set of the installation instructions for tha a/c. If not, they can be found on the net. Not a tough job for someone with at least 3 or 4 hands though with only two ...
May need some help on this one....i will look into this. Thanks for the response.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
__________________
2017 Keystone Laredo
2014 F150 Ecoboost
marski13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team
 
chuckster57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Modesto
Posts: 12,441
Just now noticed you said from the rear AC unit, NOT the furnace....I need a day off LOL!!!
__________________

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
marski13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: grand prairie
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Just now noticed you said from the rear AC unit, NOT the furnace....I need a day off LOL!!!
This is all new to me...i have 2 units in the trailer, (sitting area) one provides heat and a/c that's the one smoking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
2017 Keystone Laredo
2014 F150 Ecoboost
marski13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heat, heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×