RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
bicklebok
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Montgomery
Posts: 6
2003 Cougar 29 exterior lights

Hello everyone. I bought a 2003 Cougar 29 footer a couple of months ago and have been trying to repair a couple of things.

Do any of you know if the light switch inside the door operates both exterior 12V lights, or if there is a separate switch for each? One light fixture is on the back of the camper and the other is on the side up toward the front of the camper (see photos).

I looked in an owners manual I downloaded but couldnt find anything.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4749.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	14162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4750.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	14163  
__________________

bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
KCSA75
Senior Member
 
KCSA75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 159
I have the same setup on my 2008 Cougar, along with a porch light. Inside there are three switches on the wall. One for the interior lights, one for the porch light and one operates the big lights.

Willie & Mary
2008 Cougar 29FKS
Nights camped 2017: 25

It's horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment.
- Ansel Adams
__________________

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
bicklebok
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Montgomery
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
I have the same setup on my 2008 Cougar, along with a porch light. Inside there are three switches on the wall. One for the interior lights, one for the porch light and one operates the big lights.

Willie & Mary
2008 Cougar 29FKS
Nights camped 2017: 25

It's horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment.
- Ansel Adams
Sounds like your electrical system may be a little different than mine. I have one switch just inside the main door, on the left, on the cabinet, up high. It turns on the rear light but I'm not sure if its supposed to turn on the other side light at the front of the camper as well.

Does the switch that turns on your rear light also turn on the front light too?
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
KCSA75
Senior Member
 
KCSA75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicklebok View Post
Sounds like your electrical system may be a little different than mine. I have one switch just inside the main door, on the left, on the cabinet, up high. It turns on the rear light but I'm not sure if its supposed to turn on the other side light at the front of the camper as well.

Does the switch that turns on your rear light also turn on the front light too?
Yes. Have you checked for a burned out bulb?
__________________
Willie & Mary
2008 Cougar 29FKS
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCab, Max Tow Package

The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask...Nancy Newhall
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
bicklebok
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Montgomery
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
Yes. Have you checked for a burned out bulb?
Yes, I replaced it with a known good bulb and got nothing. I guess I will put a multimeter to it and check to see if the wire is hot and maybe the fixture is bad. Im hoping it's just the fixture, but I think that's unlikely.

If it were to have a bad wire though, I have no idea how I would chase that down since it's in the wall.
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
KCSA75
Senior Member
 
KCSA75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicklebok View Post
Yes, I replaced it with a known good bulb and got nothing. I guess I will put a multimeter to it and check to see if the wire is hot and maybe the fixture is bad. Im hoping it's just the fixture, but I think that's unlikely.

If it were to have a bad wire though, I have no idea how I would chase that down since it's in the wall.
Good luck! Once we get past burned out bulb, I've pretty much exhausted my electrical knowledge.
__________________
Willie & Mary
2008 Cougar 29FKS
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCab, Max Tow Package

The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask...Nancy Newhall
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:45 PM   #7
bicklebok
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Montgomery
Posts: 6
Haha! I found the switches you were talking about. So the big light on the side of the camper works now.
The big light on the back of the camper is operated by a switch on the left when you go inside the door.

And I bet the other switch(of the 2 switches on the right) operates the porch light you mentioned. Need some more bulbs to test though.

Thank you for the help!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cougar, light, lights

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×