PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Mountains

smokey25
02-22-2013, 02:17 PM
I wanna plan a trip to the Smokey Mountains does anyone have advice or good places to camp in Tennessee or Kentucky. I am setting sail from Missouri so any help would be appreciated

antiqfreq
02-22-2013, 04:26 PM
We loved when we went to Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky and we stayed in Cave City at a campground called Singing Hills. Just your basic park with full hookups but it didn't cost much and it was what we needed.

The cave tours are awesome - give it a consideration.

Jo

chris199
02-22-2013, 04:46 PM
We stayed near Gatlinburg last summer. Had 2 sites at Smokey Bear CG. Excellent....excellent...excellent! ! CG is immaculate.....flower beds maintained throughout. Sites with good gravel. Lawn manicured. Owner is a cpl with hospitality experience. Extremely helpful. Has a pool and playground for the kids. Bathroom and laundry spotless. Can't recommend the owners and Smokey Bear high enough.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Cougar 28
02-22-2013, 05:26 PM
I live in knoxville. If I was going to travel east on 40 I would stop at Cumberland mtn state park in crossville for a night or 2 then travel on to the smokeys that would break up the trip a little and it is one of our regulars we love to camp there.

antiqfreq
02-23-2013, 11:53 AM
We stayed in Crossland at the state park for just an overnighter one year on our way to visit friends in Asheville, NC.

Unfortunately it was only one night. It looks like an awesome park. Would love to get back some day.

Jo

:o

vallboss2
02-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Pine Mountain RV Resort or River Planation Resort - Both are right off the main drag in Pigeon Forge Tenn. - Easy access from I40. Check them out on the web.

rnkburg
02-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Only issue with pigeon forge is the traffic going in and out. It can take forever to get to town after you get off 40. Campsites are tight but nice places

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

fredetteb
02-24-2013, 09:30 PM
I wanna plan a trip to the Smokey Mountains does anyone have advice or good places to camp in Tennessee or Kentucky. I am setting sail from Missouri so any help would be appreciated

When we want a quick week-end trip Adventure Bound Campground outside of Gatlinburg is our favorite choice. Lots of activities for kids, yet relaxing enough for those without children. Been going there since i was 10 or so and it's still an enjoyable place. Twin Pines is in Gatlinburg itself and is a close 2nd. Less to do but closer to town.

Having given my $.02 it all depends on the type of camping you like to do. Cosby Campground is rustic and sits inside the GSM Nat'l Park. The KOA and River Edge RV Park are in Sevierville. Both are nice, and very convenient to all the shopping and Dollywood, but getting around in the city can be difficult during the peak tourist season (especially if you have a larger truck). I've heard good things about Claybo's Campground but have never stayed there (plan to this summer sometime thought).

The Smoky's (yes it is spelled without the "e") are a wonderful destination and I hope you enjoy you time in my backyard.

JeffS
02-25-2013, 05:27 PM
We stayed at Tremont Outdoor Resort in Townsend, TN (the quiet side of the mountain). Campground is about 100 yards from the entrance to the National Park. Some people do not like the road that splits the park but we did not find it to be a problem.

http://www.tremontcamp.com/

camper 2010
02-26-2013, 02:34 PM
Take a look at the Land Between the Lakes. Several campgrounds to choose from in the area.

enyapp
02-27-2013, 12:23 PM
I ran across this website when I was looking up some of the parks mentioned in this thread. It lists over 30 privately owned parks around the Gatlinburg side of the Smoky Mountains.
http://www.smokymountains-rv-campgrounds.com/

bpurvis
06-05-2013, 01:32 AM
im taking the family in july, we have booked the KOA in Townsend, TN.
Hopefully it will be convenient enough to Dollywood?

joeyb
06-05-2013, 05:56 AM
Stayed at River Plantation Resort in Sevierville . No problems, beware of tourist season traffic was heavy and sometimes and difficult in a large vehicle for us. The other one was Twin Creek in Gatlinburg clean and a little small. Definitely the tourist side of mountain a few times felt like I was in Orlando. But the mountains will always bring us back!