PDA

View Full Version : RV parks/Camgrounds full at Christmas??????

chris199
12-02-2012, 02:26 PM
We have always been a spring thru fall camping couple/family. Never camped over Thanksgiving or Christmas. Would have bet a lot that RV parks and CGs would be ghost towns over those holidays. Maybe when we are retired and/or move to the south we'll discover this other universe where people camp over the Thanksgiving or Christmas holidays. Would have bet most, even RVers, would be at someones home for the holidays.

-----------------

Note: This post moved from Travel Trailer section to here.

hankpage
12-02-2012, 03:43 PM
You would be surprised at how many folks take their vacations over the holidays to stretch it out with the extra days. The further South you go ,you had better have reservations or you will be spending the holiday in a rest area if you are lucky to find space there. The Florida Keys are a good example ... they really squeeze them in and it is a long ride back to someplace that you even park legally. Have no fear ... Santa always finds us no matter where we are, you just take your home with you. Travel safely, Hank (providing you're not on the naughty list http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1116 )

Bob Landry
12-02-2012, 04:26 PM
We spent last year's Thanksgiving in an Arkansas State Park and loved it, turkey dinner and all of the trimmings. We would have done it again this year except one of our Yorkies has to have leg surgery and that's going to be a pretty good hit.We enjoy camping during both Spring and Fall holidays because neither of us care to listen to screaming kids.

f6bits
12-02-2012, 04:28 PM
They're busy, and usually a fun time to camp. We camped Dec. 26 - Dec 31 in San Diego and the place was full. By now, you'll be lucky to get a reservation at any place comfy.

Festus2
12-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Chris -

Many of our RVing friends (all 2 of them) are heading south for the winter along with probably thousands of other Canuck "snowbirds". I've never done this but have been told that, in some parts of Arizona and Florida, there are hordes of pale, white-skinned Canadians who have no intention of spending Christmas at home and are there to escape the cold and snow. :eek:

Their journey south is similar to the trek of the lemmings and the march of the penguins. Christmas at home? Snow falling outside? Sitting by the fireplace with loved ones? Bah! Humbug! Give me pickleball, shuffleboard, golf and bingo.

Haven't got the urge yet to join the throng and not be at home for Christmas but I am hearing voices calling to me....."Y'all come down to see us." But if we go, will Santa really be able to find us? :confused: Hank says not to worry, he'll know where you are.

hankaye
12-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Festus2, Howdy;

pickleball ????? Really?

What the devil is that?????
Mystified during 40* nights and days in the upper 60's :D

hankaye

Festus2
12-02-2012, 11:12 PM
hankaye -
Pickleball ---- sort of a combination of badminton, tennis and table tennis (ping pong). Players use a paddle and a white whiffle ball. Apparently it is popular with seniors - played on a smaller court and the players break for drinks every time a point is scored - hence its name ----"pickleball". Really. Never played it but sounds like fun!

dandjh1958
12-03-2012, 08:52 AM
We normally camp for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. This year we went to Hawaii for Thanksgiving (no camping involved) but for Christmas I'm heading back to the Oregon coast for crabbing and snuggling down in our new TT.
In years past, we have stayed at Beverly Beach, tucked away in a protected corner because we were in a pop-up and the winter storms on the Oregon Coast are pretty intense. Now we are going to camp right on the Alsea with a beautiful view of the Walport bridge.
We drove over to check out some of the campgrounds I was thinking of reserving and although not completely full, there were a dozen or so rigs in each park. Can't wait!! I'll leave around 21st and head back in a couple of weeks as the weather allows. I don't feel comfortable pulling the TT if there is snow on the road -even though the biggest pass between Salem and Walport is only 900 feet :)

fla-gypsy
12-03-2012, 09:51 AM
I know Thanksgiving and New Years are very popular in Florida for camping, can't imagine Christmas being any different. We stay home on TG and Christmas with family but hit every New Years without fail.

michol02
12-03-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm up for Pickleball!!! LOL:D

2011 keystone
12-03-2012, 04:55 PM
I'm up for Pickleball!!! LOL:D

x2 sounds fun to me:D

hankpage
12-03-2012, 08:15 PM
hankaye -
Pickleball ---- sort of a combination of badminton, tennis and table tennis (ping pong). Players use a paddle and a white whiffle ball. Apparently it is popular with seniors - played on a smaller court and the players break for drinks every time a point is scored - hence its name ----"pickleball". Really. Never played it but sounds like fun!

Did someone say break for drinks???? Count me in. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1156 Maybe now Festus2 would like to explain why they call it a whiffle ball????? Cheers!

Festus2
12-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Hankpage -
Certainly. Let's see... um.... er.... well, it's sorta like...... you know..... same as.... umm :bfart: That's it! Just like that!

Festus2 :o

hankaye
12-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Festus2, Howdy;

Thanks for the low-down on 'Pickleball'.
Whoda thunk it :rolleyes:
I'm still having a hard time wrapping my brain
around a game called 'Cornhole' ... when I was growing
up it had quite a different connotation …

hankaye

KJcachers
12-03-2012, 09:27 PM
And here I just got my cornhole set this past summer and its already passé

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris199
12-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Hard to believe...just a few weeks ago I was astounded CG's were full at Christmas. Wasn't really in the Christmas mood this year.

Floated the idea of a camping trip to Keys next year for 2 weeks. To my surprise, the DW, our daughter in Charlotte, daughter and husband in Chattanooga, and maybe son near Nashville all seem up for it.

How's that for jumping on the bandwagon?!? Im still not all that much in the Christmas mood this year...came sooo fast.....bit I'm psyched for next Christmas already!!
:xmas10::xmas10:

Javi
12-21-2012, 10:14 AM
We camped this Thanksgiving weekend after having dinner with the family, and we'll be spending New Years in a state park.... nothing like spending the day sitting around the fire pit....

michael
12-29-2012, 04:47 PM
The only resone i park mine in fall is road salt sure eats at everything.

mikell
12-30-2012, 07:25 AM
Our campground had about 7 for Christmas but starting to ramp up for the new year. local plant has work starting and lots of temp workers will be coming in. Should be full by then end of Janurary till May