PDA

View Full Version : 2057 LED replacement

schwalbach
07-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Converted all my lights on exterior to LED, but need a replacement 2057 LED bulb, any recommendations? Bulb is in sideways so needs good side light not with LEDS on end only!

f6bits
07-21-2012, 06:20 PM
If that’s the brake/tail light, you’ll do far better by replacing the whole assembly with something like a Bargman #7. Even on cars, an 1157 type LED replacement is pretty weak.

I can’t think of a good replacement LED bulb that’s weatherproof.

schwalbach
07-21-2012, 07:01 PM
because of the shape and holes drilled I need to stay with the Kestone original module, but would like to put in a led replacement bulb, but so many are not a flood, and just on the end, need a good flood, replacing the housing is not a real option.

SteveC7010
07-21-2012, 07:13 PM
because of the shape and holes drilled I need to stay with the Kestone original module, but would like to put in a led replacement bulb, but so many are not a flood, and just on the end, need a good flood, replacing the housing is not a real option.

The Bargman #84 LED duals are slightly larger than your #92's and will completely cover any holes.

I've spent several years watching the LED market, and the plug in replacements for the 2057's (1157's) are just not adequate for the sideways mounting in these RV S/T/T fixtures.

The #84's are a much better choice. Butyl putty tape behind the fixtures will completely seal up any holes that are left from the original fixtures.

JRTJH
07-22-2012, 10:10 AM
As Steve said, the Bargman 84's are slightly larger than the Bargman incandescent tail lights that come from Keystone. They will cover the holes from the original lights. Be sure to use butyl putty tape to seal behind the new lights !!! Here's a picture of my Bargman 84's that I installed last year. They are much MUCH brighter than the conventional tail lights and far brighter than the replacement LED bulbs designed to install in place of the incandescent bulbs

f6bits
07-22-2012, 03:03 PM
The 92 on the left includes a license plate light. I see on JRTJH’s post that he has a separate license plate light. Was that an add-on, or did it come on the trailer?

I suppose there should be enough room under the skin of the trailer to run a license plate wire down to a new hole. The 84 doesn’t have a license plate light option.

webslave
07-22-2012, 04:11 PM
I replaced the stock Bargman incandescent lights that came on my Cougar with the Bargman #07 LED tail light assemblies. I also moved the license plate from the curb side to the street side...

The lights, by the time they were installed and caulked, covered all the existing holes from the old lights. This is what the new "brighter" LEDs look like (brakes on). They are actually brighter than this, the "auto" setting on the camera dims them slightly. Much better than any LED bulb replacement for the stock units.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_44882_0_a0da92f433e8c427756f7303f8853a64.jpg

JRTJH
07-22-2012, 05:41 PM
The 92 on the left includes a license plate light. I see on JRTJH’s post that he has a separate license plate light. Was that an add-on, or did it come on the trailer?

I suppose there should be enough room under the skin of the trailer to run a license plate wire down to a new hole. The 84 doesn’t have a license plate light option.

You're right, I installed a separate Bargman license plate light under the 84. I looked at trying to modify the 92's to use LED's, but found the 84's on sale for $27 each so for me, it was a "no brainer" to go with the separate LP light for $4 The LP light is not LED, but works well for what I need. My concern was that on a sunny day with the original lights, it was very difficult to see the brake lights. In fact, my wife followed me to take the trailer in for service when the refrigerator died and she said that on the way down, she didn't see the turn signals at any of the stops/turns we made. That was enough to convince me that I needed some way to make my brakes/turn signals more noticeable. These do exactly that and the entire 3 light package (2 #84's and the LP light) were less than $60 on sale at Amazon dot com.

lenny G
11-14-2012, 09:09 AM
As Steve said, the Bargman 84's are slightly larger than the Bargman incandescent tail lights that come from Keystone. They will cover the holes from the original lights. Be sure to use butyl putty tape to seal behind the new lights !!! Here's a picture of my Bargman 84's that I installed last year. They are much MUCH brighter than the conventional tail lights and far brighter than the replacement LED bulbs designed to install in place of the incandescent bulbs

That is the set up I have been looking at. How did you get the wire run for the license plate light?

byrdr1
11-14-2012, 12:00 PM
That is the set up I have been looking at. How did you get the wire run for the license plate light?
X2
randy in NC

SteveC7010
11-14-2012, 12:43 PM

There is no need for a separate license plate light.

There are a couple of different versions of this light fixture. Some have the mounting tabs for your license plate. They have the license plate light built into them.

Your existing tail lights are the same way. If they have the license plate tabs, the lens should have a clear panel in the bottom which illuminates the plate. If there is no tab, then the plastic lens should not have a clear bottom as there is no need for it.

Any of the Bargman STT light series will have these different versions available.

Bluewater
11-14-2012, 01:12 PM
I thought I read somewhere that very few of the LED replacement bulbs were not DOT approved anyway so the complete light must be the way to go.
I'm ordering the Bargman asap...thanks.

SteveC7010
11-14-2012, 01:55 PM
For the Bargman 07 series LED STT fixtures:

#47-07-001 is the Right S/T/T fixture
#47-07-002 is the Left S/T/T fixture with license plate tabs and light
#47-07-003 is the Left S/T/T fixture
#47-07-100 is the Right S/T/T fixture with license plate tabs and light

http://www.bargman.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=2&parentid=8200&catid=8220&part=0 for Bargman catalog section on LED STT lights.

lenny G
11-14-2012, 02:22 PM
There is no need for a separate license plate light.

There are a couple of different versions of this light fixture. Some have the mounting tabs for your license plate. They have the license plate light built into them.

Your existing tail lights are the same way. If they have the license plate tabs, the lens should have a clear panel in the bottom which illuminates the plate. If there is no tab, then the plastic lens should not have a clear bottom as there is no need for it.

Any of the Bargman STT light series will have these different versions available.

I was looking at the Bargman LED 84, 85 Series with no bracket. I did look at the 07 series but think that these would really be brighter.

SteveC7010
11-14-2012, 02:51 PM
I was looking at the Bargman LED 84, 85 Series with no bracket. I did look at the 07 series but think that these would really be brighter.

The 07 series which were the last few pics and posts have the light built in.
On the 85 or 84 series, you would have to add a license plate mount and light. You might want to look over Bargman's catalog closely to see if they offer a combination fixture.

Failing that, there are a number of license plate lights on the market that will do. The back end of most Keystones is a floating skin so it would be no problem to snake the wiring from the tail light to where ever you want the license plate to be.

lenny G
11-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Thanks, for the info on the floating wall!

rayjoanlough
04-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Did you have to modify your tow rig for turn signal compatibility? RV guys here in Vancouver WA are telling me I need to change solenoids or install a booster transformer?

SteveC7010
04-18-2013, 05:37 AM
Did you have to modify your tow rig for turn signal compatibility? RV guys here in Vancouver WA are telling me I need to change solenoids or install a booster transformer?

No clear answer on that. Generally no mod required because the trailer lights are additional to the truck lights in some way. If there's a single thermal flasher, they are already flashing properly because of the incandescent bulbs in the truck. The LED's draw less current than incandescents so they'll work fine.

My Ford is computer driven with no flasher. The tow circuit is separate but draws it's flash rate from the truck's turn signals. The tow circuit can handle as little or as much current draw required up to the fused rating without triggering the bulb out condition.

It's unlikely that you'd need a booster anything because LED's draw LESS current than the comparable incandescent.

Changing incandescents to LED's in the tow vehicle is a different issue and should not be confused with doing so in the trailer.

Jables
04-18-2013, 06:31 AM

Gotta love old fords. No torque converter clutch when you swap bulbs.

Jables
04-18-2013, 06:33 AM
On a side note. Why would you bother changing running lights? The tv takes care of them anyways. I don't get it.

SteveC7010
04-18-2013, 06:52 AM
On a side note. Why would you bother changing running lights? The tv takes care of them anyways. I don't get it.

I can only speak for myself.

I like the appearance of the LED's in the running lights.
They run a lot cooler.
I prefer the crisp ON/OFF of LED's.
I can use the running lights without the TV so I use LED's to conserve the battery. (Dry camp mostly.)
I like to experiment with things to improve the trailer and my knowledge of it which I then freely share with others.
And because I can, and that makes me happy.

JRTJH
04-18-2013, 08:11 AM
When I installed my LED tail lights/license plate light I didn't have to modify anything. The 84 series LED's simply connect to the existing wiring that was used for the original tail lights. I did solder on longer wires for the LP light. The pigtails were only about 8" long, so I soldered a couple of feet to each. Then I drilled a 1/2" hole behind where I wanted the LP light, ran the wire through and up to the existing hole for the tail light. Connected all the wiring, checked for proper operation and then mounted the LED tail light on that side. Really, after the Butyl tape sets up, there's no need for any screws, the Butyl pretty much adheres to the lights and the trailer skin and nothing is going anywhere. You do need to install all the screws, however, as they are what compresses the Butyl tape and holds everything in place while it does its thing.

To answer Jables' question about why install LED lights. Way back when this thread first started, I related how my wife followed me to the dealer for service and told me how she couldn't see the stop/turn signals at any of the many lane changes and stops made along the way. It was a bright, sunny day, but the lights were not visible in the sunlight. That was enough to cause me to start looking for a different lighting system that was visible (and safer) to use on sunny days. It's frightening to think of running 65MPH down an interstate and not be able to signal lane changes or stops to the vehicles behind us because they couldn't see the ineffective lights that were on the trailer. So, for me, the reason to go to LED's was safety and increased visibility. The additonal benefits that Steve noted were, for me, the "icing on the cake"

Jables
04-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Valid points guys. I see. Not trying to bust anyone's chops.

JRTJH
04-18-2013, 08:59 AM
No problems Jables. We all get a chance to see another point of view on here, that's part of why the forum is so successful, we learn from each other....

Speaking of learning, Steve, Earlier you mentioned putting new backup lights on your truck. I don't recall (can't find) any mention of the actual light you used. Do you have a link to where you got them?

Thanks

SteveC7010
04-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Speaking of learning, Steve, Earlier you mentioned putting new backup lights on your truck. I don't recall (can't find) any mention of the actual light you used. Do you have a link to where you got them?

Yup, they are partially installed. I say partially because I have only done the physical install and hooked up the white half of the lights. Light output from half of the fixture is way over 1,000 Lumens each. That's just a tad brighter than the two 921 incandescents that Ford uses!

The lights are LED hideaways or LAW's.. They're commonly installed in emergency vehicles in the headlights, turn signals, fog lights, tail lights, and back up lights. They are pretty much invisible until they are turned on and then they flash extremely bright. The forerunner of these was strobe lights installed in the same locations. Those are known as HAW's.

Up until very recently, you could only get them in single colors: red, blue, amber, green, purple , and clear. Now an outfit called Feniex has introduced the Cannon to the marketplace. It's the first dual color LAW. There are 12 LED's divided into two banks of six each. Each bank can be any color desired. Each bank can be set to steady burn or flash in any number of patterns.

If you looked at the tail lights of any Ford pickup these days, the back up light housing is tiny and there's no room for anything but the 921 bulb. I'm an EMT and I want some flashing lights on the back of the truck for scene safety. The Cannons solved my problem. I modified the housing to accept the Cannons and installed them in place of the 921's. The white side of the Cannon is set to steady burn and connect to the back up circuit. When I put the truck in reverse, they light normally but a lot brighter.

When I get the wiring finished, the amber side of the Cannons will flash a wig-wag pattern when ever I am operating in emergency mode. The lights are configured so that if I put the truck in reverse, the flashing ambers are shut off and the normal white comes on.

Here's how bright the lights are:
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_73262_0_c9abf190b6b3ac20177604d9794f5812.jpg
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_73262_1_34a0fcb8fa8d62fbe5d9c86c89a36278.jpg

The bad news is that they cost $160 for a pair. Most of the folks here won't have any need for the dual color ones. There are less expensive LAW's available in single colors that would work well for enhancing the back up lights without adding fixtures on or under the bumper. But they'd still be over $100 new. I bought my Cannons from http://www.advancedwarninglights.com/ he does carry other models of the LAW's

JRTJH
04-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the info, Steve. I, somehow, was thinking it was a bulb swap that you did. You're right, that much innovation and modification is a bit more than most people want to do for back up lights. I'm going to mount a couple of square LED floodlights (the same as I have put on my tractor) to the back of the fifth wheel, but I'm looking for something "plug and play" for the truck to improve the current "lack of light" situation. Your mod would definitely do that, but it's a bit more than I wanted to do.....

Possibly, one of the Fenix 12 LED surface mount cannons in the center of the rear bumper, right above the license plate? That might be a player if I can't find brighter bulbs.... And that's looking to be an impossible thing to find.

SteveC7010
04-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Possibly, one of the Fenix 12 LED surface mount cannons in the center of the rear bumper, right above the license plate? That might be a player if I can't find brighter bulbs.... And that's looking to be an impossible thing to find.
You might do better ($$$) with another LAW of a single color. Quality is just as good. Let me know if you want to go that route. I have some sources for them, both new and used.

Comptech
04-19-2013, 06:43 AM
Steve,
Whats all that white stuff on the ground?:D

Yup, they are partially installed. I say partially because I have only done the physical install and hooked up the white half of the lights. Light output from half of the fixture is way over 1,000 Lumens each. That's just a tad brighter than the two 921 incandescents that Ford uses!

The lights are LED hideaways or LAW's.. They're commonly installed in emergency vehicles in the headlights, turn signals, fog lights, tail lights, and back up lights. They are pretty much invisible until they are turned on and then they flash extremely bright. The forerunner of these was strobe lights installed in the same locations. Those are known as HAW's.

Up until very recently, you could only get them in single colors: red, blue, amber, green, purple , and clear. Now an outfit called Feniex has introduced the Cannon to the marketplace. It's the first dual color LAW. There are 12 LED's divided into two banks of six each. Each bank can be any color desired. Each bank can be set to steady burn or flash in any number of patterns.

If you looked at the tail lights of any Ford pickup these days, the back up light housing is tiny and there's no room for anything but the 921 bulb. I'm an EMT and I want some flashing lights on the back of the truck for scene safety. The Cannons solved my problem. I modified the housing to accept the Cannons and installed them in place of the 921's. The white side of the Cannon is set to steady burn and connect to the back up circuit. When I put the truck in reverse, they light normally but a lot brighter.

When I get the wiring finished, the amber side of the Cannons will flash a wig-wag pattern when ever I am operating in emergency mode. The lights are configured so that if I put the truck in reverse, the flashing ambers are shut off and the normal white comes on.

Here's how bright the lights are:
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_73385_0_c9abf190b6b3ac20177604d9794f5812.jpg
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_73385_1_34a0fcb8fa8d62fbe5d9c86c89a36278.jpg

The bad news is that they cost $160 for a pair. Most of the folks here won't have any need for the dual color ones. There are less expensive LAW's available in single colors that would work well for enhancing the back up lights without adding fixtures on or under the bumper. But they'd still be over $100 new. I bought my Cannons from http://www.advancedwarninglights.com/ he does carry other models of the LAW's

trucker LOU
04-21-2013, 09:14 PM
John, If you are thinking about back up lites on your Springdale consider mounting them on the front side to lite both sides & rear.On my old trailer I at first installed them on the rear , but could not see sides when parking at night. If I do it right will post pics.---Lou---

homer3
06-19-2014, 09:08 PM
has anyone had any dealings with Tweetys.com?

http://tweetys.com/search.aspx?find=bargman+84,,, They claim to be an On-Line RV supply store. In conjunction with this posting the Bargman #84 Series appear to be quite inexpensive. Is this to good to be true???

Fixjet
06-19-2014, 10:59 PM
Bargman #7 work great. 3 of the 4 mount holes line up and the 4th is cover by your sealant. Plate light and mount are included. Way more light output than the crappy stock lights.

jjboyz1
06-20-2014, 07:53 AM
Hello homer3 and yes I have purchased items from tweets.com. I found them threw amazon and ordered a replace shower faucet, great price fast shipping

2013 Raptor 395 Lev
2013 Ram 2500 Cumins Diesel
2011 Harley Davidson Road Glide Custom