PDA

View Full Version : Roof cleaning

NHcamper
08-31-2021, 09:35 AM
Hi all,

I own a 2015 Keystone Laredo 322RL. I love this TT. Only issue I have had since it was new was a Chinese bomb shredding and blowing thru the bottom of the TT into the inside. 13K later it was like new :-).

My question is what do I do to clean the roof? It is nowhere white anymore. It is sort of like very dirty. It is in great shape with no leaks or separating anywhere. I only go on the roof twice a year to cover it for winter and take the cover off in spring.

I have no problem with heights. Should I clean it (with what and how) or should I just leave it to weather.

Thanks for your input.

Alan

Canonman
08-31-2021, 10:35 AM
I use a mild solution of soap (dawn dish soap) and water. Some use a solution of Simple Green. There are specific rubber roof cleaners made by Camco and Dicor that are a bit pricey when compared to a simple soap and water solution.
I apply with a long handled brush and rinse with the hose. Be sure to rinse the sides of your Laredo to minimize any streaking.

Scttw
08-31-2021, 10:44 AM
I use the proper products from Dicor .... cleaner followed by a protector.

rhagfo
08-31-2021, 12:38 PM
When I washed my roof to put on Heng’s roof coating I used Tide powered laundry detergent, and a mildly stiff scrub brush, with a liberal amount of elbow grease!

travelin texans
08-31-2021, 12:50 PM
The manufacturer recommends mild detergent, Spic & Span was mentioned, & soft/medium bristle brush.
I used Simple Green concentrate mixed as directed, a bit stronger if very dirty, sprayed on with a 1 gallon sprayer, let sit for 15-20 minutes then use the brush & SG mixture to scrub, rinse thoroughly the roof & RV sides.
Used the same solution on the awning, sprayed as it rolled up then sit rolled for 15-20 minutes then scrub & rinse.

notanlines
08-31-2021, 01:33 PM
I recommend everything said above and have one addition: Have your significant other, friend, neighbor, whoever, stay down below and constantly wash the walls on the side down that you're working on. No marks or streaks that way.

Scttw
09-01-2021, 04:01 AM
I recommend everything said above and have one addition: Have your significant other, friend, neighbor, whoever, stay down below and constantly wash the walls on the side down that you're working on. No marks or streaks that way.

Your wife taught you that didn't she? I figure after 49 years, she's taught you a thing or two :D

Congrats on your upcoming milestone!

linux3
09-01-2021, 01:01 PM
OK, I wimp out.
I had a local RV dealer clean and recoat the roof. Part of the deal is that every year when I bring my RV in for inspection they clean and recoat as needed.
I like to RV, I don't like to repair.

precab
09-30-2021, 10:18 AM
Found a few videos on RV roofs as they age; used these leak sealing options around key areas.

I try to brush the roof 2x a year since the dust build up won't simply spray off

dutchmensport
09-30-2021, 11:53 AM
In the past, on all my previous campers, I've always washed with Dicor RV roof cleaner and conditioner. My current 5er has an Alpha roof system, and "the books" say it can be washed with any mild soap solution or Spick-n-Span. I washed it only once now in 3 years and I used a mild Dawn Dishwashing liquid solution and a soft long handled brush. Rinsed with a lot of water. I then followed up with Rubber Roof Conditioner per recommendation of my RV dealership service department. I was amazed how much and how quick the Rubber Roof Conditioner got sucked up into the rubber, and then how smooth it felt when it dried. I did this about 4 weeks ago.

Balvar24
09-30-2021, 04:31 PM
Roof manufacturer on my 2021 recommends mild soap and no conditioner.

jb44588
10-07-2021, 09:01 AM
I had some black lines develop on the roof seems, so I called Keystone (supper easy) and they directed me to the roof manufacture, which I have the Alpha System. https://alphallc.us/products/roofing/. The recommended using Dawn, Simple Green and for the black lines, bleach. After cleaning the roof, I sprayed the roof and awning with Wet and Forget. I told them I was using the cleaner and condition the dealer recommended and they said, with my roof I do not need to do that, just clean it.

travelin texans
10-07-2021, 09:15 AM
I had some black lines develop on the roof seems, so I called Keystone (supper easy) and they directed me to the roof manufacture, which I have the Alpha System. https://alphallc.us/products/roofing/. The recommended using Dawn, Simple Green and for the black lines, bleach. After cleaning the roof, I sprayed the roof and awning with Wet and Forget. I told them I was using the cleaner and condition the dealer recommended and they said, with my roof I do not need to do that, just clean it.

Definitely wouldn't use bleach on the roof or anywhere near the decals. Personally bleach goes in the laundry not anywhere on the rv!
Had several RVs with both types of roofs & never did more than wash them regularly & maintain the seams/joints.

JRTJH
10-07-2021, 09:24 AM
Definitely wouldn't use bleach on the roof or anywhere near the decals. Personally bleach goes in the laundry not anywhere on the rv!
Had several RVs with both types of roofs & never did more than wash them regularly & maintain the seams/joints.

Yep, and when you consider that nobody can even see the RV roof membrane..... Maintaining a "clean, white appearance" is not only an exercise in futility, it's likely to be more damaging to the roof than just rinsing it off and keeping the "bird poo" under control.