PDA

View Full Version : Fireplace/AC switch

BriBoy01
08-25-2021, 03:37 PM
I just picked my 2021 29DFS up last weekend and so far love the camper. By the electric fireplace there is a switch to choose to either power the fireplace or the air conditioner. I realize this is a safety feature as the camper is only 30amps and could not handle the AC plus the heater on the fireplace but I would like to be able to use the light of the fireplace even when running the AC. Has anyone bypassed this outlet to provide power to both?

BriBoy01
08-25-2021, 03:41 PM
I pulled the plug and have 3 feeds running to it. The 3 grounds and 3 neutral wires are tied together. If I disconnect the 3 hot wires from the switch and join them together wouldn’t that give both constant power?

chuckster57
08-25-2021, 04:08 PM
Yes it would, BUT you could also be setting yourself up for a dangerous situation. The first time someone that doesn’t know what you did turns both on, you could overload the circuit and hope that the breaker trips before things get hot and melt.

Sometimes the manufacturers do things to save us from ourselves. I’m not going to tell you not to do it, just that I wouldn’t.

BriBoy01
08-25-2021, 04:21 PM
Yes it would, BUT you could also be setting yourself up for a dangerous situation. The first time someone that doesn’t know what you did turns both on, you could overload the circuit and hope that the breaker trips before things get hot and melt.

Sometimes the manufacturers do things to save us from ourselves. I’m not going to tell you not to do it, just that I wouldn’t.

Thank you for the response. I fully understand what you mean regarding the overload. I will likely open the fireplace up and see if I can’t also disconnect the heater inside of it to eliminate that concern