PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Keys

curtiscapk
08-16-2021, 08:23 AM
OK,

I think i know the answer to this one, but thought I'd ask anyhow.

I had both sets of keys to the camper in my truck console. I know dumb!:(:facepalm::facepalm: I didn't get the extra set put back in wifes purse last time I used them... Someone broke in to the truck and took both sets why I have no clue.

What's the easiest way inside to get lock replaced. There is no code on the door to order another set.
Is there a way keystone can look it up via vin?

How hard is it to get in thru emergency window?

Thanks guys.....

Javi
08-16-2021, 08:31 AM
Any locksmith can pick it in less than 10 seconds.
Or any dealer or authorized repair shops will usually have master keys for most locks.

curtiscapk
08-16-2021, 08:32 AM
yeah I got a pick set I'm probably going to try.

JRTJH
08-16-2021, 08:34 AM
Your trailer has multiple keys, so you've really got more than one lock to get into.

The baggage compartments are probably CH751 keys and I'd almost bet you've got one on another keyring sitting around the house. If not, you can get one from most any hardware store or RV dealer parts store.

For the entry door, which is probably the only other lock, if you drill out the lock cylinder, it'll cost you a new lockset (assuming it's not the "Euro-lock" style)... That'll run you $30 or so for a replacement lockset. Most any "locksmith" can get you into the trailer for that same cost, or maybe less. At any rate, you'll need a locksmith to make you new keys, so might as well not destroy anything trying to get in, just contact a reputable locksmith and "learn from the circumstances"....

curtiscapk
08-16-2021, 08:55 AM
RV dealer down the street wants 195.00 just to get it open.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Javi
08-16-2021, 09:01 AM

I would remember to never frequent THAT dealer.... ever :whistling:

JRTJH
08-16-2021, 09:04 AM

I would remember to never frequent THAT dealer.... ever :whistling:

NEVER...EVER is also my recommendation for that dealer !!!!!

wiredgeorge
08-16-2021, 09:06 AM
OK,

I had both sets of keys to the camper in my truck console. I know dumb!:(:facepalm::facepalm: I didn't get the extra set put back in wifes purse last time I used them... Someone broke in to the truck and took both sets why I have no clue.

What's the easiest way inside to get lock replaced. There is no code on the door to order another set.

Thanks guys.....

You asked how easy to crawl through the emergency window? I looked at your picture and I bet it would be a lot easier for you than me. (ease of window entry is relative to girth).

On my camper which is old, I replaced the front door lock/deadbolt. It took about 5 minutes. I put the new keys on the kitchen table IN the camper and to test the lock, turned it to the locked position and shut the door. OOOPS. I tried to pick the lock for about a 1/2 hour; even watched a youtube video and still failed. My wife complimented me using what I think was either a Spanish or French term and told me not to be an idiot and call a Locksmith. Guy charged me about $60 for a visit. He pulled out his lock pick kit and opened the door as quickly as I could with a key. I now have many spare keys and stash one outside the fifth wheel in a magnetic key box where NO ONE could ever find it (OOOPS again I guess) so my wife would not have to compliment me in some foreign language again. The one I bought (not this one) looks like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/261729410282?hash=item3cf049dcea:g:LREAAOSw23tduEe T

Ken / Claudia
08-16-2021, 10:04 AM
Well, if you get in through a window. Unlock the doors, use a correct screw driver, remove the locks and you see see the lock code to order keys. That is on the paddle style door latches.

curtiscapk
08-16-2021, 10:05 AM
Well, if you get in through a window. Unlock the doors, use a correct screw driver, remove the locks and you see see the lock code to order keys. That is on the paddle style door latches.

This is my hope!

JRTJH
08-16-2021, 10:19 AM
Amazon has a listing for a Fastec (FIC) master key. Less than $16 and you can open nearly 90% of all RV entry doors.

https://www.amazon.com/Products-Red-Master-Key-015-85001-00/dp/B011AF5PPS/ref=sr_1_44?dchild=1&keywords=RV+Keys&qid=1629137552&sr=8-44

wiredgeorge
08-16-2021, 10:56 AM
Amazon has a listing for a Fastec (FIC) master key. Less than $16 and you can open nearly 90% of all RV entry doors.

https://www.amazon.com/Products-Red-Master-Key-015-85001-00/dp/B011AF5PPS/ref=sr_1_44?dchild=1&keywords=RV+Keys&qid=1629137552&sr=8-44

Thank goodness Amazon screens potential master key buyers for criminal records!

curtiscapk
08-16-2021, 10:57 AM
That doesn't work for dead bolts though.

jasin1
08-16-2021, 11:01 AM
Probably a good idea to write down the codes of all your keys and keep in the house? Can you just get keys from the dealer if you have the codes? If I ever lose them

chuckster57
08-16-2021, 11:09 AM
That doesn't work for dead bolts though.

Probably a good idea to write down the codes of all your keys and keep in the house? Can you just get keys from the dealer if you have the codes? If I ever lose them

My Bauer master has gotten lucky a couple of times. But as a rule, no they don’t open deadbolts, or compartments that are keyed to the entry door.

If you have the key code any locksmith can make a key.

jasin1
08-16-2021, 11:12 AM
Thank goodness Amazon screens potential master key buyers for criminal records!

I guess if they didn’t sell the master keys the same thieves would just buy crowbars lol

Texas Steve
08-16-2021, 11:33 AM
If you have a CH751 and can open the storage compartment, maybe send a small kid up through the laundry chute at the end of the bed to open the door

Ken / Claudia
08-16-2021, 11:40 AM
Yea, sometimes thieves cause thousands of dollars prying open passenger vehicles and homes to steal a few bucks. Even breaking out a passenger vehicle window is hundreds and some do that. I once had a new Range Rover that the bad guys broke out every side window on both just to see into it and got a couple fishing rods and tackle. I think the owner told me just under 3,000 to replace all the windows back in early 2000s. Almost makes you want to leave RVs and passenger vehicles unlocked.

curtiscapk
08-16-2021, 11:46 AM
It just hit me I think I'm going to try and pick the storage lock under the dinette bench and go in that way. those locks are easy to pic. If this kid can do it I should be able to.... right! I even have that knife!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiIMrNTJCs4

Javi
08-16-2021, 11:53 AM
You can buy a 751 key for $2
Or just borrow one from nearly anyone with an RV

I probably have a couple thousand of them on the shelf in the warehouse, we used to make a cabinet for HP that had a 751 lock in the door.

jasin1
08-16-2021, 12:02 PM
OK,

Thanks guys.....
Keep in mind if you keep the trailer at your house that the thief probably looked at your registration in the glove box and knows where your trailer is

They may be waiting a week or so and will see if they can get in

notanlines
08-16-2021, 12:29 PM
Curtis, trying not to pile on, but your statement "Someone broke in to the truck and took both sets. Why I have no clue."
The evil twins who broke in aren't going to take time to inventory the stuff they're taking. And why does Momma have a set and you have a set? And why would she trust you with hers when you have your own? (Yes, sorry, I am piling on) Just use one set and put the other in a magnetic box as George suggested and hide it somewhere. On the RV, not in the truck. Or simply have a third made and put it in the magnetic box.

curtiscapk
08-16-2021, 12:39 PM
Her set were closer to me at some point, but someone never returned them. :confused::ermm:

The trailer is 30 minutes away in storage. And they didn't touch registration.

Buddy at work just gave me his pic set and I practiced on a similar camlock to storage lock. Going to try and go tomorrow.

sourdough
08-16-2021, 12:42 PM
Curtis if you get in (that looks like a 751 lock so should be pretty simple) get the codes from the locks and try rvlocksandmore.com. GET SOME SPARES! :) First thing I did was determine what keys I had and ordered like 4 of all of them (yes, we're forgetful):D. Keep a set in the truck, in my pocket, with DW and in the RV, and others...hmmm, I don't really know where they are right now. :nonono:

curtiscapk
08-16-2021, 12:55 PM
I tried to tell DW it happens, but she wasn't agreeing.....

jasin1
08-16-2021, 01:06 PM
I put the rv lock keyless entry on my fifth wheel..it’s really convenient when we are going to the beach or a bike ride…it has a key backup as well and you can use keypad and key to lock deadbolt if you want double security…I really only use the deadbolt for towing though

flybouy
08-16-2021, 02:07 PM
Our previous trailer had the pass thru pillaged while in storage. Someone had a 751 key and emptied them ajll out. That's when I found rvlocksandmore.com. Changed all locks over to one key. When we bought this camper I did the same on day one. Each cam lock comes with 2 keys so I ended up with about 18 keys. One on each key ring, one in center console of each truck, and the remainder in the tool box with the extra cam locks, cams, nuts, gaskets etc

curtiscapk
08-17-2021, 10:14 AM
That was fun!!!!!!!! I jimmied the storage lock and pushed the cushions out of the way eventually. Got in and luckily didn't have to take the latch off the sticker was right there. Granted it's a brand new camper so I haven't messed with it. The hole was a little tight. This pic is with door closed but you get the idea. If I weighed my winter weight I wasn't getting through without popping some bracing!.

now to the lock website!

curtiscapk
08-17-2021, 10:16 AM
Funny thing. I unlatched dead bolt and opened door. Once shut the paddle lock was still locked from the outside.

flybouy
08-17-2021, 10:58 AM
Funny thing. I unlatched dead bolt and opened door. Once shut the paddle lock was still locked from the outside.

That's how that style work. If the top lock is locked with a key then it will open from the inside so you aren't locked in the event of an emergency but the outdoor latch will still be inoperative until unlocked with a key.

jasin1
08-17-2021, 02:21 PM

Funny if you would have had to break in all over again lol

curtiscapk
08-18-2021, 05:04 AM
My watch clasp came of worming my way in. I tried to go back in to get it and found out it was locked. No watch today!:lol::lol::lol::lol: I wasn't going back through that again!:facepalm:

flybouy
08-18-2021, 05:21 AM
My watch clasp came of worming my way in. I tried to go back in to get it and found out it was locked. No watch today!:lol::lol::lol::lol: I wasn't going back through that again!:facepalm:

Sorry to hear that but sounds like you learned something else so "your time wasn't wasted".:)

LHaven
08-18-2021, 07:35 AM
The lock in that photo is almost surely a CH751. Borrow a key from virtually anybody who owns a trailer.

Neither the dealer nor Keystone will have a record of the number on your door locks, because the doors come from Lippert with arbitrary locks already installed, and the line workers just grab doors off the pile, install them, and save the keys inside. That's why when you buy a two-door unit, you very rarely get the doors keyed alike.

If your rig is outfitted with the common Global Link door latches, you can buy replacement keys and locksets here (http://www.gld1.com/Looks#.YR0ncy2ZNTY). (You can also buy spare CH751s there, as well as a million other places on the web.)

If you had a photo of your old keys that showed the number printed on the sides, you could just order a duplicate at that same page that would immediately work in your lock.

This should serve as a handy reminder to all those folks who have not (yet) had their keys lost or stolen to take a photo of their keys with the numbers showing.

Third Degree
08-22-2021, 07:45 AM
The code for my keys was with my manuals. I know those might be inside you trailer but by chance are they inside your house? You can then get the code and go to etrailer.com and get a new one.

Dadmech
08-22-2021, 12:35 PM

Isn't that comforting to know that the ease of getting into 80% of RV's is for sale cheap on Amazon. :facepalm:
Time to change some locks I guess. :dizzy:
Good luck to OP. :)

rlh1957
08-22-2021, 12:50 PM
Check with a few neighbors in the campground.
Baggage doors ate almost always keyed with 1 or 2 different locks. My bro-in-law 2000 trailer has same bag door keys as my 2020.
Keystone used a few different keyed door locks but someone in the camp is bound to have same lock.

KarenK
08-23-2021, 04:35 AM
Had to use the stabilizer jack handle to flip up the escape style window latches behind the couch and shove my 11 yr old through it. The compartment door wasn't locked. Lost my keys at a rest stop while walking the dog and didn't realize it till we got to our destination. Takes an extra person to watch up top and direct you to flip the latches.

JRTJH
08-23-2021, 07:04 AM
Isn't that comforting to know that the ease of getting into 80% of RV's is for sale cheap on Amazon. :facepalm:
Time to change some locks I guess. :dizzy:
Good luck to OP. :)

Truth of the matter is that it doesn't take a "master key from Amazon" to break into most any RV. All it takes is a 12" common screwdriver to pry open the "easily bendable door frame" or if a thief is in a hurry, a swift "boot kick to the center of the door" and he's in.... Don't let Amazon selling a "master key for Global Locks or FIC locks discourage your security protocols".... Any lock you install on an RV door is only "icing on the cake". Truth is, it's the door that is the weakest link, not the lock. Changing locks is only a means to fool yourself, not discourage any "thief with average competence".....

flybouy
08-23-2021, 07:37 AM
When our camper was broken into in a storage lot (along with about 30 others) the guy pried open the window next to the door . Other campers he went thru other windows hut not one lock was breached. Locks are as they say "keep honest people honest".

curtiscapk
08-23-2021, 07:45 AM
When our camper was broken into in a storage lot (along with about 30 others) the guy pried open the window next to the door . Other campers he went thru other windows hut not one lock was breached. Locks are as they say "keep honest people honest".

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ken / Claudia
08-23-2021, 04:59 PM
In the crook world its all about their training and what tools they have at the moment. Kick a door, pry it open, go through a window. When they get caught and go to jail they talk about what works and what does not to learn more from others who think they have a better idea.

jasin1
08-23-2021, 05:05 PM

Now that’s funny!

cw1001!
08-23-2021, 05:34 PM

Can you access your storage areas from inside the camper? If so, you could have just crawled through them to get inside. If they were locked, you could have just picked a CH751 key from amazon to get in that compartment.

curtiscapk
08-24-2021, 05:23 AM
That's exactly what I did. Pic of the seat a crawled through.

curtiscapk
08-24-2021, 05:26 AM
Good news! new keys! 3 days before we need them.

I'm pretty sure the old door key wasn't nearly as precisely cut as this one. I think they were just rounded edges but not sure.

Ken / Claudia
08-24-2021, 11:03 AM
Crooks have two words for rounded or wore keys, "giggle keys" they like them.
Gets them into more locks then a brand new key or lock.

curtiscapk
08-24-2021, 11:11 AM
Right but these were brand new. I could just think they looked like that. It's all good now. We're going to the local spot for 3 days with the pontoon as well.

chuckster57
08-24-2021, 01:24 PM
So did you just replace the keys? If so someone has a set to get into your trailer.

curtiscapk
08-24-2021, 01:28 PM
Yes just replaced, but they have no clue where my camper is 30 miles away. Or most likely they were even camper keys they kept. They're probably in a sewer drain somewhere as it is. We'll end up switching to cam locks soon all the way around.

Thanks though.