PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Cougar 22RBS winterizing valves

Cimriver
07-29-2021, 02:29 PM
Can't find the winterizing valves. Any hints?

flybouy
07-29-2021, 03:16 PM

Where have you looked?

mikec557
07-29-2021, 08:59 PM

Usually on the back of the water heater. I'm guessing, but don't you have a cabinet just to the left of the doorway as you enter? If so, remove the two wood panels at the very bottom, two screws in each one. I believe your water heater is under there.

Cimriver
07-30-2021, 06:23 AM
Usually on the back of the water heater. I'm guessing, but don't you have a cabinet just to the left of the doorway as you enter? If so, remove the two wood panels at the very bottom, two screws in each one. I believe your water heater is under there.

I did remove the panel to the left of the door. I could see the water heater, but saw no bypass valves. I'll take a closer look today.

mikec557
07-30-2021, 06:58 AM
I did remove the panel to the left of the door. I could see the water heater, but saw no bypass valves. I'll take a closer look today.

I think there's two wooden panels below the closet. If I'm right, you'd have to remove the one on the right to see the valves and to reach your arm in to turn the valves.

Todd Burton
07-30-2021, 07:07 AM
Its the right panel

Cimriver
07-30-2021, 07:13 AM
I think there's two wooden panels below the closet. If I'm right, you'd have to remove the one on the right to see the valves and to reach your arm in to turn the valves.

Below the closet, left of the door there is one panel and the power center to the right of that. I removed the panel again and this time I spotted one of the bypass valves. Couldn't see the second valve and no hose to suck the antifreeze into the plumbing. I guess my next move is to pull the power center out a bit to see what else is behind it.
Thanks for your response.

JRTJH
07-30-2021, 07:32 AM
There may only be one valve on your water heater, located on the lower "cold water input PEX line". On that type, there is no "manual valve" on the hot water outlet, rather a "one way valve" located behind the brass fitting that connects to the trailer plumbing.

As for a "antifreeze input hose", few (if any) trailers come with that equipment. If you have a flojet water pump, you'll need to buy a "quick connect fitting" (just like the one installed in the "INLET" to your pump head. Then buy a "appropriately sized" length of clear vinyl tubing from Lowe's, HD or any hardware store. Pull the blue tab on your water pump inlet, disconnect the fitting, insert your "new fitting with the tubing on it" and lock the tab in place. Put the end of the hose in a gallon jug of antifreeze and turn the water pump on. It will draw antifreeze into the plumbing system.

On a ShurFlo water pump, you'll need a "screw-on type fitting" to do the same, or you can buy a "winterizing kit" that attaches permanently to the water pump.

Either way, CLOSE THE WATER HEATER VALVE(s) before drawing antifreeze into the plumbing system. RV antifreeze is corrosive to the water heater tank lining. So, do not put RV antifreeze into your water heater.

Cimriver
07-30-2021, 07:49 AM
As for a "antifreeze input hose", few (if any) trailers come with that equipment.

First thanks for the detailed response. Very helpful!

Your comment that few if any trailers come with the antifreeze input hose is surprising to me. This rv is our seventh. Every rv prior to this came with the input hose and reasonably accessible valves. This rv has neither.

mikec557
07-30-2021, 07:59 AM
First thanks for the detailed response. Very helpful!

Your comment that few if any trailers come with the antifreeze input hose is surprising to me. This rv is our seventh. Every rv prior to this came with the input hose and reasonably accessible valves. This rv has neither.

I'm on my 3rd "big RV" and have never had an input hose, nor easy access. Only thing easy that I can think of are the two low point drains. LOL.

dutchmensport
07-30-2021, 08:03 AM
Don't you just love it when RV manufacturers hide things from the consumer! They want you to bring it back for a service call. It guarantees more repeat revenue for them!

flybouy
07-30-2021, 08:48 AM
Have you looked at the FW pump? If it has a winterizing kit it will be "teed" into the suction side of the pump.