PDA

View Full Version : Exterior wall thickness?

Maineiacs
07-09-2021, 07:26 AM
A couple of my shades keep falling down as the sheetrock screws pull out of the wall due to vibration. I plan to reset the screws and use those little plastic expandable wall anchors (similar to molly bolts). The anchors vary in length from 3/4 inch to 1 inch. I should be safe in using that length - right?

I'm guessing at this point between the wall covering and the foam insulation there's probably an inch and a half before I reach the Filon exterior. Right?

jasin1
07-09-2021, 07:35 AM
A couple of my shades keep falling down as the sheetrock screws pull out of the wall due to vibration. I plan to reset the screws and use those little plastic expandable wall anchors (similar to molly bolts). The anchors vary in length from 3/4 inch to 1 inch. I should be safe in using that length - right?

I'm guessing at this point between the wall covering and the foam insulation there's probably an inch and a half before I reach the Filon exterior. Right?

I’ve been using these anchors for all my Sheetrock needs lately..don’t know if they would work on your wall or not but they are really strong and secure.

JRTJH
07-09-2021, 07:43 AM
If you're repairing the shade fixtures "IN THE TRAILER EXTERIOR WALLS" then yes, they are typically 2" thick (from interior luan wallboard to exterior FILON sheeting/aluminum skin)...

ON THE OTHER HAND: Many slides are constructed with 1" frames, so they are actually significantly less than 2" thick..... Many are only 1.25" thick when you measure from the interior luan to the exterior FILON sheeting.

SO USE CAUTION ON JUST HOW LONG THE SCREWS ON THE ANCHORS REALLY ARE. YOU COULD EASILY BE "WELL WITHIN WALL THICKNESS" IN THE MAIN WALL STRUCTURE AND 3/4" IN THE "PORCUPINE REALM" ON THE SLIDE WALLS.......

Sarge2
07-09-2021, 07:48 AM
I was not sure on thickness of our walls but decided to use those type of anchors... I actually found some of the type you see that are heavier but they are much shorter... about 3/4"... I've also trimmed the point off and pre-drilled a hole to use the shortened anchor.. I love the screw in ones and think they work and hold much better than some of the others....

Maineiacs
07-09-2021, 07:50 AM
SO USE CAUTION ON JUST HOW LONG THE SCREWS ON THE ANCHORS REALLY ARE. YOU COULD EASILY BE "WELL WITHIN WALL THICKNESS" IN THE MAIN WALL STRUCTURE AND 3/4" IN THE "PORCUPINE REALM" ON THE SLIDE WALLS.......

So my plan to use 4 inch deck screws is out the window then? :)

Appreciate the confirmation of thickness and yes, I would never use screws longer than the overall depth of the anchor.

sourdough
07-09-2021, 08:00 AM

Appreciate the confirmation of thickness and yes, I would never use screws longer than the overall depth of the anchor.

You might reconsider before throwing that 4" deck screw out the window. I've found overkill comes in handy sometimes; that 2" sticking through the exterior wall can be covered with little rubber covers and used to hand hats, raingear, puppy leashes etc. Pretty handy....maybe. Sort of like the guy that decided he would do his own bathroom remodel on the mountain house we bought (unbeknownst to us). Although he owned the local Ace Hardware store apparently the only thing he had, or knew how to use, was a 22 oz. framing hammer and 16 penny nails, no matter how small the job. And, that hammer, he thought, was much better at smashing out holes in the sheetrock for access than trying to make measured cuts...:facepalm: All tongue in cheek of course. :D

JRTJH
07-09-2021, 08:01 AM

Present company excepted, there are some "all thumbs handymen" (and handywomen) who are extremely careful with making sure they use anchors the correct length, screws that match the anchor length (or are shorter than the anchors) and then use a 3" drill in a 1" hole.... So, "no" to the 4" deck screws and also be careful how deep you drill the hole for the anchors that were "carefully selected to prevent bottoming out in the shallow wall"......

Sarge2
07-09-2021, 08:48 AM
3" deck screws... you guys crack me up... I'm in my office at the dept and I'm sure people think I'm crazy since I'm laughing my butt off... :lol::lol::lol:

Maineiacs
07-09-2021, 09:05 AM
Sarge2, those ceramic coated deck screws are amazing.! Never rust, never snap off, easy to reset if necessary. And the one use Sourdough forgot to mention - if you locate them strategically, they're great for back scratchers!

Sarge2
07-09-2021, 09:07 AM
You're killing me... now I can't get that image out of my head of someone with their back to the wall moving up and down... :eek::lol:

flybouy
07-09-2021, 09:25 AM

Well now before you go "heaving the idea out the window" ....... consider this, if you have the DW hold a 2X4 piece of pressure treated on the outside when you screw in those deck screws I'm betting they'll never back out again.:hide:

Sarge2
07-09-2021, 11:30 AM
Wow.... juat Wow.... :facepalm:

Camping family
07-09-2021, 01:32 PM
Well now before you go "heaving the idea out the window" ....... consider this, if you have the DW hold a 2X4 piece of pressure treated on the outside when you screw in those deck screws I'm betting they'll never back out again.:hide:

Hey then you have a board on the outside to attach other things to. Hanger for trash can, dog leash holder or a towel rack for wet towels. Just a few to think about.

flybouy
07-09-2021, 01:52 PM
Hey then you have a board on the outside to attach other things to. Hanger for trash can, dog leash holder or a towel rack for wet towels. Just a few to think about.

So many possabilities! If it's on the curb side you could get one of those wood engraving kits and burn your last name in it with an apostrophe S then stain it, or paint to match the trailer and use peel and stick letters. On the road side a couple of large hooks to support the electric cord and fresh water hose. So many handy uses!:lol:

sourdough
07-09-2021, 02:40 PM
Man oh man! This has got me worked up - SUPER ideas; just super! I think I've got a container of 4" deck screws in the shop and I'll have to round up a nice piece of wood...thinking red oak maybe. I'm getting on this and gonna git er done.....errrr, I'd better run that by the "one in command" before I jump the gun.:bow: If it's a go I'll get back.....:rolleyes:

flybouy
07-09-2021, 02:46 PM
Man oh man! This has got me worked up - SUPER ideas; just super! I think I've got a container of 4" deck screws in the shop and I'll have to round up a nice piece of wood...thinking red oak maybe. I'm getting on this and gonna git er done.....errrr, I'd better run that by the "one in command" before I jump the gun.:bow: If it's a go I'll get back.....:rolleyes:

Red Oak? Man you just outclassed me.:bow: Glad my DW doesn't read this or I'd be on my way to the lumberyard. :facepalm:

skids
07-09-2021, 04:46 PM
Use plastic pop anchors. Not ones for drywall.