PDA

View Full Version : Keystone cougar 29bhs - bathroom and bunk lights not working

Jkellner29
04-21-2021, 02:45 AM
Just bought a 2020 cougar 29bhs. Didn’t realize until we’re home that the bathroom 2 lights and exhaust fan are not working Also the bunk light next to the bathroom.

I looked at the fuse panel and all fuses there look good, I’m missing fuses in a few areas but even swapping fuses over that are good to those didn’t fix the issue.

Anyone have this same issue?

wiredgeorge
04-21-2021, 03:03 AM
No one can read the lettering on the tiny pictures you posted. I suggest you have a lot of empty 12V fuse slots that may be the issue and you need to buy a multimeter and check continuity on all the fuses in there. You can not tell if a fuse is good or bad at times by looking depending on the brand/type.

Jkellner29
04-21-2021, 03:56 AM
Thanks I’m getting some new fuses today and will try to replace the ones there to test first.

Javi
04-21-2021, 04:54 AM
Thanks I’m getting some new fuses today and will try to replace the ones there to test first.

Very possible you have a tripped GFCI plug in the bathroom..

chuckster57
04-21-2021, 05:11 AM

Wouldn’t the lights be 12V?

Javi
04-21-2021, 05:14 AM

Yeah... I typed that while on the phone ordering $79,000 worth of stainless steel sheet.. :D my brain wasn't functioning

Jkellner29
04-21-2021, 05:14 AM
Thanks I reset the gfi in the bathroom and in the kitchen no issues there I can see.

chuckster57
04-21-2021, 05:16 AM
Check your ground connections at the lights and the exhaust fan in the bathroom.

wiredgeorge
04-21-2021, 06:16 AM

The two dome lights above my slide out (dining table and my LazyBoy love seat recliner) are 110V. Why? Probably Keystone got the fixtures cheap back in 2002.

Blackrock
04-21-2021, 07:08 AM
Is there a rocker switch on the wall just outside the bathroom door? On my other trailer there was a switch that had to be on plus the rocker switches on the lights themselves.

Jkellner29
04-21-2021, 08:14 AM
Check your ground connections at the lights and the exhaust fan in the bathroom.
These are the puck style lights on the ceiling, there no switch on the actual light itself

Jkellner29
04-21-2021, 08:15 AM
Is there a rocker switch on the wall just outside the bathroom door? On my other trailer there was a switch that had to be on plus the rocker switches on the lights themselves.
Nope no switch outside the bathroom, only one in the bathroom on the wall and no way to toggle the lights themselves

sourdough
04-21-2021, 08:44 AM
Sounds like you've lost a 12v feed somewhere. Possibly a defective or missing fuse as has been discussed. I assume the fan has a switch on it so it would not have 12v coming to it either. I would lean toward the fuse. If not might be time to break out the VOM or test light and run down where that voltage went.

JRTJH
04-21-2021, 08:50 AM
It could be as "simple a fix" as retightening the wire that connects to the fuse block (check all those wires and screw terminals to make sure they're tight) or it could be as "hard to find" as a wire crimp in the ceiling, halfway between the bathroom and the fuse block.... DON'T MESS WITH THE 120 VOLT AC SIDE OF THE POWER CENTER IF THE RV IS PLUGGED IN !!!!!

Check that all the connections you can find are secure, tighten the screw terminals and pull each of the lights to make sure a wire hasn't slipped out of the screw connectors behind the ceiling lights...

If you can't find it there, and if the warranty is still active, you might want to contact the dealer to set up an appointment to have them check it out.

Could you "fix it yourself" ??? Yes, probably, but how long do you want to spend on troubleshooting and how far do you want to stretch your "electricity skill set" ???? Part of "expert RV repair is knowing when to "stop digging a deeper hole.....

nitrohorse
04-21-2021, 09:21 AM
It's posts like this that make me grateful that the RV industry does not build aircraft.

chuckster57
04-21-2021, 09:22 AM
These are the puck style lights on the ceiling, there no switch on the actual light itself

Yeah, but there is still two wires attaching it to the circuit.

flybouy
04-21-2021, 09:29 AM
It's posts like this that make me grateful that the RV industry does not build aircraft.

If they did then the toilet would cost more than your trailer.:)

Sarge2
04-21-2021, 09:33 AM
Yeah... I typed that while on the phone ordering $79,000 worth of stainless steel sheet.. :D my brain wasn't functioning

Thats a lot of stainless steel...:eek:
If it was wood you'd have enough to make a deck...maybe.. lol

Javi
04-21-2021, 10:42 AM
Thats a lot of stainless steel...:eek:
If it was wood you'd have enough to make a deck...maybe.. lol

40,000 pounds 100.8 lbs per sheet, I buy 4 to 6 truckloads a year.. not to mention the other metals we use..

And wood ain't got nothing on steel... What was $0.48 a pound with 2 day delivery in February is $1.35 today for July & August delivery..

Jkellner29
04-21-2021, 11:48 AM
Sounds like you've lost a 12v feed somewhere. Possibly a defective or missing fuse as has been discussed. I assume the fan has a switch on it so it would not have 12v coming to it either. I would lean toward the fuse. If not might be time to break out the VOM or test light and run down where that voltage went.
Thanks I’ll try the fuse replacements first this evening, crossing my fingers

Jkellner29
04-21-2021, 11:52 AM
It could be as "simple a fix" as retightening the wire that connects to the fuse block (check all those wires and screw terminals to make sure they're tight) or it could be as "hard to find" as a wire crimp in the ceiling, halfway between the bathroom and the fuse block.... DON'T MESS WITH THE 120 VOLT AC SIDE OF THE POWER CENTER IF THE RV IS PLUGGED IN !!!!!

Check that all the connections you can find are secure, tighten the screw terminals and pull each of the lights to make sure a wire hasn't slipped out of the screw connectors behind the ceiling lights...

If you can't find it there, and if the warranty is still active, you might want to contact the dealer to set up an appointment to have them check it out.

Could you "fix it yourself" ??? Yes, probably, but how long do you want to spend on troubleshooting and how far do you want to stretch your "electricity skill set" ???? Part of "expert RV repair is knowing when to "stop digging a deeper hole.....
It sounds like a fuse to me, since it’s that back section all together that’s not working or. Maybe the power feeding that section, I’ll also see if I can check the wires feeding the light switch in the bathroom. It would be great to have a wiring diagram to match the wire count at the switch, I’m hoping nothing was loose and dropped into the bottom of the wall

Javi
04-21-2021, 12:03 PM
It sounds like a fuse to me, since it’s that back section all together that’s not working or. Maybe the power feeding that section, I’ll also see if I can check the wires feeding the light switch in the bathroom. It would be great to have a wiring diagram to match the wire count at the switch, I’m hoping nothing was loose and dropped into the bottom of the wall

https://www.keystonerv.com/innovations/color-coded-wiring

Jkellner29
04-21-2021, 12:12 PM
https://www.keystonerv.com/innovations/color-coded-wiring
Thank you!!!!

nitrohorse
04-22-2021, 12:07 AM
If they did then the toilet would cost more than your trailer.:)

Good point. And the PDI would not catch the fact that the toilet doesn't flush.

Jkellner29
04-22-2021, 03:06 AM
Found the issue, we had asked the service team at the Rv dealer to install a gateway router we’ll actually replace where the previous owners pulled the old one out. after a couple days of troubleshooting this issue, that hit me. Me and a friend pulled down the wiring for the ceiling wireless gateway and found it wired backwards / sideways all of the above and it affected the power to the back section of the Rv. When the switch was on for the router the power was on kinda a very low voltage, it would like the light switch itself but not enough to power lights.....After swapping multiple connections and several hours the lights are back on and they have a wonderful little txt to read from me this morning.

Javi
04-22-2021, 03:12 AM
Glad you found it

chuckster57
04-22-2021, 05:08 AM
Glad it’s fixed, the techs that worked on it shouldn’t be techs IMO.

Jkellner29
04-22-2021, 05:32 AM
Yeah we will posting some great reviews....

Urbish
04-22-2021, 01:01 PM
Wowee. I would suggest to anybody that whenever they have a panel opened up or a light removed from the ceiling, give the wires a tug at the crimp splices. I have had four fall off when doing this on my brand new 2021 Aspen Trail. A fifth one fell off all on its own at the puck light above the sink. These things have the build quality somewhere south of a Yugo.