PDA

View Full Version : Bal lock arm vs jt strong arm

Bbouch84
02-28-2021, 11:57 AM
Are they even worth it to stop the rocking and swaying? My travel trailer has the electric stabilizers will they even work and how many do you actually need??

jsb5717
02-28-2021, 12:52 PM
In my opinion...yes. They do an amazing job of minimizing movement. Typically they come with 6 arms...4 in the front and 2 in the back.

JRTJH
02-28-2021, 01:47 PM
A stabilizing bar system (brand excluded) is a way to significantly reduce movement inside the RV. Whether BAL or Steadyfast or Strong Arm or Valterra... That's where you get into the "Ford vs GM vs Fiat/Chrysler"... You could find (or start) arguments that never end when you start the "brand wars"...

Suffice to say, if you have issues with trailer movement, you might want to consider one of the "locking arm stabilizer systems"... Which one is as much "which one is on sale" as it is "which one costs the least to ship"...

Keep in mind, if you're looking for a "totally movement free RV" then you're going to be disappointed with anything you put under your RV other than a permanent foundation that totally eliminates all tire/wheel/suspension/frame rail movement... A RV is not going to be "motion free"....

Brantel
02-28-2021, 02:26 PM
Yep they work great!

Bbouch84
02-28-2021, 02:47 PM
With that being said. I think i will get some but yet i have also heard that you dont want your stabilizer jacks fully extended. Our current unit is our first nice camper we had a hand me down before this one.. i have heard also that having your fresh water tank full as well even when hooked to "city" water is a good idea as well.. this will be our second season in our bullet and cant wait to use it as much as we can. We do know there is goong to be some movement but we want to try and minimize it as much as possible.

Big1
02-28-2021, 10:51 PM
I think so, I install the JT StrongArm on my 5th wheel.

Traindude
03-01-2021, 09:42 AM
If you want to go cheaper I used the Valterra https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-020106-RV-Stabilizer/dp/B001UGJPXQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=238KZMZE50B5M&dchild=1&keywords=valterra+stabilizer&qid=1614620016&sprefix=valtera+st%2Caps%2C259&sr=8-1, On the rear bumper then I made my own for the front https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmYKGXFA6R4, This kept my trailer solid and eliminated all of my rocking. Both set up in less then 5 min. For the price I would do a couple home made and see if that works before investing into the strong arm set up

Bbouch84
03-02-2021, 08:24 PM
Cool idea but that seems.like it would only work if you are on totally level ground.

Traindude
03-03-2021, 09:11 PM
I have used that set up on not so level ground and worked fine . In my opinion it works anywhere you would want to park your trailer.

sourdough
03-04-2021, 07:31 AM
I put the BAL lockarms on my previous trailer and they help quite a bit. I also had the electric stabilizers and they just attach to the foot. Had to drill out the hole just a bit for the attachment bolt. They stay attached all the time and extend/retract with the stabilzer leg - just make sure you loosen the bolt that tightens the arm prior to moving it up or down. All you do is tighten once the stabilizers are down and loosen prior to raising them. My trailer came with a long handled tool that was for ??? that fit the bolt heads and was perfect for reaching them to tighten/loosen.

Maximum stabilization requires several of them. I used 4; some folks use 6 or more. 4 worked and I still used my Xchocks between the tires to help.