PDA

View Full Version : toilet issues

Frisbeekev
10-18-2020, 04:09 PM
We went out this weekend and at times when I flushed the toilet it bubbled like I had air in it then it flushed. This happened once or twice last tine I was out also. This time I was hooked to sewer last time it happened I was not.

Then it gor clogged more easily than it has in the past. We used the toilet with the tank closed then when the tanks were full I dumped the toilet as we were hooked to sewer. I also did a black tank flush to try to help the clogging and it didnt seem to help. Any thoughts?

What would cause the bubble when I flush. Also Can I snake the toilet in the RV like I would a house toilet, to help with it clogging up?

NH_Bulldog
10-18-2020, 04:27 PM
We went out this weekend and at times when I flushed the toilet it bubbled like I had air in it then it flushed. This happened once or twice last tine I was out also. This time I was hooked to sewer last time it happened I was not.

Then it gor clogged more easily than it has in the past. We used the toilet with the tank closed then when the tanks were full I dumped the toilet as we were hooked to sewer. I also did a black tank flush to try to help the clogging and it didnt seem to help. Any thoughts?

What would cause the bubble when I flush. Also Can I snake the toilet in the RV like I would a house toilet, to help with it clogging up?

Generally the toilet sits directly over the black tank and your “business” drops straight down into the tank like a glorified outhouse. Turn off the water, press the foot valve and look straight down into the tank. Not a pleasant sight, but a look will tell you it’s not likely clogged in the common sense. It could be the dreaded poo-pyramid from not using enough water when flushing. Another real possibility is that the tank vent is blocked and the only make-up air is coming from the toilet instead of the vent, thus the “burp”. You can try pulling the circular vent cap on the roof and check for a wasp nest, or flush some water down the vent from above and see if that helps.

bsmith0404
10-18-2020, 05:34 PM
You can snake from the top like a residential toilet, but you basically have to get the snake to the outlet port of the tank. Another option is a connection on the sewer hose with a hose connection that you can spray water back into tank. Normally have better success blowing a clog back into the tank than trying to push it down the pipe. I’ll attach a link for the type I use.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Camco/CAM39080.html?feed=npn&gclid=CjwKCAjwz6_8BRBkEiwA3p02VX4qQoam6fa1pUpjQU4_ HVZStxsaxFT0zmWXhx-cst2nuD94b_xRsBoC_KoQAvD_BwE

JRTJH
10-18-2020, 06:25 PM
There are only 3 reasons for a black tank to "bubble/gurgle" when flushing":

1. The black tank is full and needs to be emptied
2. The rooftop vent is plugged and can't allow air to escape the tank so it "bubbles up into the toilet"
3. There is a "poo pyramid" under the toilet and the "flush can't get into the black tank"...

Solutions:

1. Empty the black tank
2. troubleshoot and determine the fix
3. eliminate the "poo pyramid" and prevent it from reforming by using lots of water with every flush.....

travelin texans
10-18-2020, 09:59 PM
Personally would not use any type of snake in a rv system, it's a plastic tank that could be damaged.
I have ran a running water hose into the toilet & down the vent pipe from the roof (FYI always use a hose that you can discard afterwards), but never a snake or other sharp pointy things.

Customer1
10-19-2020, 11:51 AM
I listen for the burp when flushing to indicate it's dump time. It happens when the tank level reaches the bottom of the vent pipe.