PDA

View Full Version : Toilet Paper-I see it !

May
06-30-2020, 06:17 PM
I could really use some suggestions... :facepalm: 2007 Keystone Springdale 299bhds
With COVID, my park isn't letting us use their bathrooms. So we've had to use our toilet for poops (ew... yes I used that word) when we have never done that before.

I can see the wad of toilet paper... How do I get it down into the black holding tank like the liquid waste ? I've tried baking soda and vinegar... hot water with dish soap.

It's way too far down to reach by hand. Is there a miracle liquid that will dissolve it (without wrecking my pipes/plumbing?)...My teenager thought he'd help me, and went and got a big stick from the marsh behind our trailer and pushed it down further ! (UGH!) :angel:

Thanks a bunch !

sourdough
06-30-2020, 06:28 PM
May, toilet paper "you see it"? Where? Stuck in the chute under the commode before it gets to the tank? Pushed it "down further" with a stick? How is that paper stuck there that close?

Some things; water is your friend with the black tank and commode. Put lots of water in the tank before using it (valve should be closed). Use lots of water every time you use it. Use MINIMAL paper in the tank; you are not in a S&B house on a city sewer system. I've never had toilet paper stick to the wall of the chute in all my years; ever. Sounds like you are using way too much paper and way too little water. Hopefully all the "stuff" hasn't built up under the commode and solidified.

May
06-30-2020, 06:31 PM
Yes it's in the chute on the way to the tank...
I think you're right-we're not using enough water... Yes I think it's probably become stuck to the side ! frig... This has only been over the past month...

JRTJH
06-30-2020, 06:53 PM
Since you said that you "normally only use the trailer toilet for #1 and use the campground toilet for #2, I'd ask, do you normally leave the black tank (toilet tank) valve open and let it drain continuously???

If you do, and if, for the past month, you've been using the trailer toilet for #2 with that valve open, I'd guess you have a "dreaded poop pyramid"... That's a "mound of poop and paper" that's dried in a pyramid shape, now, blocking your toilet "chute" preventing more poop and paper from entering the black tank....

If you've ever used a pit toilet in a primitive campground or an outhouse, if you looked down the hole, you saw a solid mass directly under the hole... That's something like what you have under the "chute hole" in your black tank...

Toilet paper, when it gets wet and then dries, becomes "concrete"... very difficult to break up (especially with a stick from the marsh out back)… The best thing to do is to spend some time closing the black tank valve, filling the black tank full, letting it sit (to soften the paper) and empty the tank, fill it again, let it sit overnight, empty in the morning and repeat until you soften and break up the poop pyramid...

You might "cautiously and gently" use that stick to help break up the pyramid, but use extreme caution. Your black tank is made of plastic and over the years from 2007 to now, that plastic has aged and has become brittle, so slamming a stick down the toilet and hitting the bottom of the black tank is a good way to break through the plastic and create even bigger problems...

Soften the paper by soaking it with the black tank full...

And: NEVER, EVER, use the black tank with the valve open. ALWAYS keep a good volume of water in the tank so the solids that get flushed "down that chute" have the water to help "float them away from the hole, making way for the next flush"....

Huntme
06-30-2020, 08:39 PM
Since you said that you "normally only use the trailer toilet for #1 and use the campground toilet for #2, I'd ask, do you normally leave the black tank (toilet tank) valve open and let it drain continuously???

If you do, and if, for the past month, you've been using the trailer toilet for #2 with that valve open, I'd guess you have a "dreaded poop pyramid"... That's a "mound of poop and paper" that's dried in a pyramid shape, now, blocking your toilet "chute" preventing more poop and paper from entering the black tank....

If you've ever used a pit toilet in a primitive campground or an outhouse, if you looked down the hole, you saw a solid mass directly under the hole... That's something like what you have under the "chute hole" in your black tank...

Toilet paper, when it gets wet and then dries, becomes "concrete"... very difficult to break up (especially with a stick from the marsh out back)… The best thing to do is to spend some time closing the black tank valve, filling the black tank full, letting it sit (to soften the paper) and empty the tank, fill it again, let it sit overnight, empty in the morning and repeat until you soften and break up the poop pyramid...

You might "cautiously and gently" use that stick to help break up the pyramid, but use extreme caution. Your black tank is made of plastic and over the years from 2007 to now, that plastic has aged and has become brittle, so slamming a stick down the toilet and hitting the bottom of the black tank is a good way to break through the plastic and create even bigger problems...

Soften the paper by soaking it with the black tank full...

And: NEVER, EVER, use the black tank with the valve open. ALWAYS keep a good volume of water in the tank so the solids that get flushed "down that chute" have the water to help "float them away from the hole, making way for the next flush"....

well said.

ctbruce
07-01-2020, 02:45 AM
The (in)famous poo pyramid.

notanlines
07-01-2020, 03:32 AM
May, I fully agree with the above comments. And one more thing: Keep your teenager AWAY from this situation. If he were to do something stupid, as teens are want to do, you'll pay the price. If even a small piece of that stick broke off in the tank you'll possibly have a thousand dollar repair on your hands. Handle this as recommended above, and DON'T LEAVE THE TANK while it is filling with water.

flybouy
07-01-2020, 05:14 AM
In May's defense, if the trailer was purchased used and they never used it for "solid waste" then it may have been the previous owner's doing.

That said you have been given good advice and irregards to who made the mess it's yours to deal with. The other option if you are connected to full hook ups is to get a toilet wand which is a length of plastic pipe that screws onto a garden hose and has a hole in the other end to direct the water. You could pout that down the commode (USING A DIFFERENT WATER HOSE, DO NOT USE YOUR HOSE FOR SUPPLYING DRINKING WATER) open the dump valve and let it run.Periodically rotate the wand to direct the spray in another area and monitor it.

If you don't have one now get a clear sewer hose connection and connect it inbetween the camper and the sewer hose. They are about 5" long and around $8-$10. That will allow you to monitor how well it's draining and if the solids are breaking up and moving as well.

travelin texans
07-01-2020, 08:30 AM
As for not using the RV toilet as it was designed, not going #2, just remove it & put in a cabinet or something useful.
We've met several that will ONLY use the toilet for #1 at night, never #2, & won't use the shower, what a waste.
Sorry not trying to be a smart a##, but it's a toilet, just like in the public facilities that are closed due to CV19, you use it, you flush it, the difference being is you have to (or should) open a valve occasionally to get rid of it.
Close the black valve, use plenty of water per flush & use the toilet, about every 5-7 days you'll have drain & flush out the black tank.

flybouy
07-01-2020, 08:48 AM
I know someone that won't use, nor allow anyone else to use the toilet or shower in their camper. I told him to rip it all out except the sink and install a kegerator, an ice machine, and wine fridge. Then put a sign on the door "wet bar". May as well get some use out of the space!

May
07-01-2020, 09:48 AM
HI John
I have a big black tank where my grey and dirty tanks release to. Inside I have a dirty tank (toilet), and a grey tank (dishwater). Normally the park comes around on Mondays with the waste truck, and will pull the valves to release the dirty tank, and the grey tank, into the big black tank at the back of the trailer/underneath. Sometimes it's full (will come up into the tub) from the grey tank being full, and I will release it before they come on a Monday, then close it again. They will re-release it on Mondays when they come to empty it all.

sourdough
07-01-2020, 10:21 AM
I am assuming the "big black tank" at the back of the trailer is not part of the trailer but a separate tank ; sort of a holding tank until the waste truck arrives??

If the valve is staying closed and only opened for/by the waste truck it would seem your issue is too much paper and not enough water. How big/bad the situation is will be determined by the "pyramid". Then it's back to getting rid of the pyramid by whatever means (not poking with a stick) and using proper amounts of paper/water going forward.

Johnnyfry
07-01-2020, 10:35 AM
Maybe not for everyone, but we never put TP down the toilet, we use a bag. That said, I recommend Scott single ply TP. It seems to be popular as many prople on the groups use it. Lots less expensive than the Camping World RV TP!
As for the stuck paper, I suggest using a hook made from a wire coathanger and pulling the stuck piece(s) back out. Bringing in a hose with a nozzle and aiming it down the hole might also do the trick and take off whatever is making the paper stick to the pipe.

flybouy
07-01-2020, 10:54 AM
HI John
I have a big black tank where my grey and dirty tanks release to. Inside I have a dirty tank (toilet), and a grey tank (dishwater). Normally the park comes around on Mondays with the waste truck, and will pull the valves to release the dirty tank, and the grey tank, into the big black tank at the back of the trailer/underneath. Sometimes it's full (will come up into the tub) from the grey tank being full, and I will release it before they come on a Monday, then close it again. They will re-release it on Mondays when they come to empty it all.

I would suggest you contact the honey dipper (the waste water evacuation truck) and explain your situation. As them if they can perhaps schedule a few extra stops until you get the situation resolved.

JRTJH
07-01-2020, 11:07 AM
May, Not to be "pointing fingers at someone I have never met" but are you sure the "honey wagon guys" are actually closing the black tank valve? Or is it possible that they just leave it open until they pump the big tank????

If they have been doing that, it would easily explain why you have a poop pyramid. If they have been closing the valve (and doing that part properly) then it would seem that someone "inside the trailer" is simply putting too much TP down the chute....

At this point, you don't want to add more TP to the problem, at least not until you get the pyramid resolved and broken up. So, I'd suggest a trash can beside the toilet with a self closing lid and a plastic bag as a liner. Just do your business, then put all the TP in the trash can. That will prevent the additional paper from compounding the problem and will also allow you to keep the black tank at least half full of water to help soak and soften the hardened pile.

As said, use something rigid to help break up the pile (from the top) but don't get too aggressive as you don't want to poke holes in the tank itself...

It may take a week or more of soaking and breaking up the pieces before things flow again. In the mean time, don't add to the problem if you can avoid it.

travelin texans
07-01-2020, 11:13 AM
Maybe not for everyone, but we never put TP down the toilet, we use a bag. That said, I recommend Scott single ply TP. It seems to be popular as many prople on the groups use it. Lots less expensive than the Camping World RV TP!
As for the stuck paper, I suggest using a hook made from a wire coathanger and pulling the stuck piece(s) back out. Bringing in a hose with a nozzle and aiming it down the hole might also do the trick and take off whatever is making the paper stick to the pipe.

Definitely NOT happening in our rv!!!!!
Referring to storing used tp nor hooking the stuck crap & dragging it up through the rv. YUUUUK!!!!!! to both!

sourdough
07-01-2020, 11:42 AM
May, Not to be "pointing fingers at someone I have never met" but are you sure the "honey wagon guys" are actually closing the black tank valve? Or is it possible that they just leave it open until they pump the big tank????

If they have been doing that, it would easily explain why you have a poop pyramid. If they have been closing the valve (and doing that part properly) then it would seem that someone "inside the trailer" is simply putting too much TP down the chute....

At this point, you don't want to add more TP to the problem, at least not until you get the pyramid resolved and broken up. So, I'd suggest a trash can beside the toilet with a self closing lid and a plastic bag as a liner. Just do your business, then put all the TP in the trash can. That will prevent the additional paper from compounding the problem and will also allow you to keep the black tank at least half full of water to help soak and soften the hardened pile.

As said, use something rigid to help break up the pile (from the top) but don't get too aggressive as you don't want to poke holes in the tank itself...

It may take a week or more of soaking and breaking up the pieces before things flow again. In the mean time, don't add to the problem if you can avoid it.

To piggyback on the comment in red, my son purchased a used 5th wheel to move into temporarily. The black tank would not flush. He knew nothing about RVs so contacted me. It was the proverbial "pile". He was leaving the black tank valve open just as the folks did before him and as he was told to do. It took him days and days of filling, flushing, adding chemicals etc. and it still didn't come out. I finally told him I would come see him (about 6 hours away). Got there and a friend had come by with a wand and they were able to get things "moving" again. From start to finish I believe it was about 10 days. So, as noted above be prepared to spend some time trying ti get it to the point it wants to move and for sure don't add to the problem.

flybouy
07-01-2020, 11:57 AM
Years ago I bought a Keystone Cabana used that was used as a hunting camp in the mountains of PA. The seller told me about the poonami and said the gray tank drained slow as well. He thought it may have been from puring the backun grease down the sink every morning. Ya think maybe that did it?

Anyway, I stopped at a self serve car wash in a small town and opened up the drain cal and looked in with a flashlight. It was a straight shot into the black tank and the gray tank was into the main line with a "Y". Couldn't be better.

After about an hour and $10 or so worth of quarters it was draining great. I swear I was hitting that change machine like a hot one armed bandit in Vegas. The amount of white chucks of grease from the gray tank was amazing.

And yes, I followed the clean outs from the car wash to the turn down that was in a sewer line and not a storm drain so the water was treated and did not end up in a stream.

May
07-01-2020, 12:33 PM
I will try soaking it this weekend with lots of water, and then do the coat hanger trick... and then the hose/auger... Thank you

May
07-01-2020, 12:34 PM
Correct-the big blank tank at the back/under the trailer is not connected to the trailer. It's only connected via hose

May
07-01-2020, 12:35 PM
Thanks Danny & Susan

May
07-01-2020, 12:37 PM
Years ago I bought a Keystone Cabana used that was used as a hunting camp in the mountains of PA. The seller told me about the poonami and said the gray tank drained slow as well. He thought it may have been from puring the backun grease down the sink every morning. Ya think maybe that did it?

Anyway, I stopped at a self serve car wash in a small town and opened up the drain cal and looked in with a flashlight. It was a straight shot into the black tank and the gray tank was into the main line with a "Y". Couldn't be better.

After about an hour and $10 or so worth of quarters it was draining great. I swear I was hitting that change machine like a hot one armed bandit in Vegas. The amount of white chucks of grease from the gray tank was amazing.

And yes, I followed the clean outs from the car wash to the turn down that was in a sewer line and not a storm drain so the water was treated and did not end up in a stream.

I don't know when the last time this was ever driven/moved. It's parked, in a park and I'd be afraid to move it so I'll have to make due with a coat hanger and a hose/auger type thing that I'll get next week-end. Good for you ! I'd never drain grease down ! OH MY !

May
07-01-2020, 12:39 PM

So I have to ask... For #1 we have a bag in the bathroom for the toilet paper. I can't imagine doing that for #2 with the TP-the smell would be horrific ! Is there a special container you can buy/use so it doesn't ?

May
07-01-2020, 12:46 PM
THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO HAS COMMENTED SO FAR ! This forum is awesome and I can't tell you how much I appreciate the comments / advice. Hopefully one day I have enough knowledge/experience to help some others who are new to trailers. I love it-it's my happy place... we back onto marsh (I get eaten alive by mosquitos every day/night but it doesn't matter). I get to relax in quiet/peace and have met some fantastic people and wildlife. I now can't imagine never having an RV...

hankpage
07-01-2020, 12:59 PM
My '07 Cougar did not have a tank rise either. After each trip I would flush the tank with a flexible wand that you can get from Wallyworld, amazon or Camping world for around $20. The end swivels around with the water pressure and sprays the tank breaking up the Paper mache statues that you have created. Or would Poopermache be more accurate.. This may be your best bet since you don't want to break off large chunks that will block the valve.

Link to Walmart wand (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-RV-Flexible-Swivel-Stik-Shutoff-Valve-Creates-Powerful-Cleaning-Action-Dislodges-Flushes-Stubborn-Waste-Deposits-Combats-Odors-40071/14504324) JM2˘, Hank

flybouy
07-01-2020, 01:42 PM
Get yourself a Thermacell mosquito repellent. They work great when I've used them. We have 3 of them that we set outside where we set. https://www.thermacell.com/

May
07-01-2020, 01:52 PM
My '07 Cougar did not have a tank rise either. After each trip I would flush the tank with a flexible wand that you can get from Wallyworld, amazon or Camping world for around $20. The end swivels around with the water pressure and sprays the tank breaking up the Paper mache statues that you have created. Or would Poopermache be more accurate.. This may be your best bet since you don't want to break off large chunks that will block the valve.

Link to Walmart wand (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-RV-Flexible-Swivel-Stik-Shutoff-Valve-Creates-Powerful-Cleaning-Action-Dislodges-Flushes-Stubborn-Waste-Deposits-Combats-Odors-40071/14504324) JM2˘, Hank

Hank & Lynn-THANK YOU for the link ! Awesome ! I will see if I can find it now, before I head there on the week-end

May
07-01-2020, 01:53 PM
Get yourself a Thermacell mosquito repellent. They work great when I've used them. We have 3 of them that we set outside where we set. https://www.thermacell.com/

Marshall-I thought so as well ! I bought one and a mosquito landed on it last week-end ! ha ha... Not sure if mine is defective. I changed the batteries and put in a new liquid pack and still tons of mosquitos. The coils work better where I am ! (I think I have to exchange it... I swear mine must be defective because everyone tells me they are fabulous !) :banghead:

flybouy
07-01-2020, 02:21 PM
These are the one's we have... https://www.thermacell.com/products/mr300-reseller

My niece's husband got me hooked innit. They live on the eastern shore in Maryland and he's an avid fisherman and duck hunter in the marsh lands over there. We've had them for about 7 years now and they are going strong. A little pricey for the butane and the sticks but typically I can find them reasonable during the off season and stock up for the year. Maybe yours is defective?

flybouy
07-01-2020, 02:26 PM
May I forgot, we have 2 of the patio light resellers as well. https://www.thermacell.com/products/mosquito-repellent-patio-shield-torch

If the mosquitos start to carry off the little kids and small dogs we'll break them out to.:lol:

May
07-01-2020, 02:37 PM
May I forgot, we have 2 of the patio light resellers as well. https://www.thermacell.com/products/mosquito-repellent-patio-shield-torch

If the mosquitos start to carry off the little kids and small dogs we'll break them out to.:lol:

Thanks flybouy ! Yes I think I have a defective one. I didn't they had others like torches/patio perimeter ones. Thanks for the links ! Right now they are deadly ! I look forward to August when they are almost gone !

wiredgeorge
07-01-2020, 03:28 PM
I don't know when the last time this was ever driven/moved. It's parked, in a park and I'd be afraid to move it so I'll have to make due with a coat hanger and a hose/auger type thing that I'll get next week-end. Good for you ! I'd never drain grease down ! OH MY !

The car wash may not be practical but a magic wand sure is. The bend on my toilet drain is pretty sharp and I can't see much nor into the tank. I guess a person could buy one of those high tech camera things on a flexible stalk but I really don't want to look. A magic wand will fit down into the tank and you just hook it to a hose and open the drain. This one has a shut off on the wand (seems like that makes a lot of sense). I clean my drain and tank every now and again with this wand.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-RV-Flexible-Swivel-Stik-Shutoff-Valve-Creates-Powerful-Cleaning-Action-Dislodges-Flushes-Stubborn-Waste-Deposits-Combats-Odors-40071/14504324?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222009394704&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=10372303238&wl4=pla-1105715279340&wl12=14504324_0&wl14=rv%20toilet%20wand&veh=sem&msclkid=499b5c39e23e1541e5c802c4f9597f74

Sarge2
07-01-2020, 03:36 PM
I guess I'm confused.... so what else is new...lol.. that big black tank that is connected to the black tank on the trailer is an auxiliary holding thank that they pump out with the honey wagon? Or am I not seeing this? Like instead of dumping into an in ground pipe? :confused:

May
07-01-2020, 03:51 PM
The car wash may not be practical but a magic wand sure is. The bend on my toilet drain is pretty sharp and I can't see much nor into the tank. I guess a person could buy one of those high tech camera things on a flexible stalk but I really don't want to look. A magic wand will fit down into the tank and you just hook it to a hose and open the drain. This one has a shut off on the wand (seems like that makes a lot of sense). I clean my drain and tank every now and again with this wand.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-RV-Flexible-Swivel-Stik-Shutoff-Valve-Creates-Powerful-Cleaning-Action-Dislodges-Flushes-Stubborn-Waste-Deposits-Combats-Odors-40071/14504324?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222009394704&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=10372303238&wl4=pla-1105715279340&wl12=14504324_0&wl14=rv%20toilet%20wand&veh=sem&msclkid=499b5c39e23e1541e5c802c4f9597f74

Thanks ! You're the second to recommend this wand. I'm going to order it tomorrow...

May
07-01-2020, 03:54 PM
I guess I'm confused.... so what else is new...lol.. that big black tank that is connected to the black tank on the trailer is an auxiliary holding thank that they pump out with the honey wagon? Or am I not seeing this? Like instead of dumping into an in ground pipe? :confused:

I have a big black tank that sits on the ground at the back of the trailer (most of it is under the trailer). Then I have two pull levers where I can release two holding tanks. One is grey (dishwater) and the other is dirty (toilet) apparently. So you can pull each lever to release each holding tank, and it unloads into the big black tank. Each week, there is a truck that comes around the park to each site, and they unload the big black tanks on the ground.

The blockage though with the toilet paper, I can see down the toilet...So I'm presuming that's on the way to the dirty holding tank and it's not reaching the tank.

What is a honey wagon ?

Stumpy75
07-01-2020, 04:06 PM
I have found that this helps too. There's even an explanation on the bottle of how to get rid of a plug!

https://www.amazon.com/RV-Tissue-Digester-19-Thetford/dp/B000GPO6FO

May
07-01-2020, 04:11 PM
I have found that this helps too. There's even an explanation on the bottle of how to get rid of a plug!

https://www.amazon.com/RV-Tissue-Digester-19-Thetford/dp/B000GPO6FO

Thanks Chris...I had actually seen that when I was scrolling through RV toilet products on amazon and wondered if it would work. This is more for breaking up the TP in the holding tank right ? is that why you normally use it ? I will order this tomorrow as well... but good to know it might help with the plug ! What a mess

flybouy
07-01-2020, 04:15 PM
A "honey wagon" is the truck that pumps out septic tanks, or in your case the "auxiliary holding tank".

May
07-01-2020, 04:18 PM
A "honey wagon" is the truck that pumps out septic tanks, or in your case the "auxiliary holding tank".

Thanks... that's a really weird name for something that smells so bad ! ha ha

notanlines
07-02-2020, 02:27 AM
May, here is a typical 'honey wagon'

May
07-02-2020, 04:28 AM
May, here is a typical 'honey wagon'

Wow... ours does not look so fancy !!

kjohn
07-04-2020, 02:52 PM
I get a laugh out of these posts. If a trailer is parked at a full service campground, with water supply (remember - full service!), and sewage outlet, it would be the day I started running a snowblower in hades that I used the CG toilets for ANYTHING! Putting used toilet paper in a bag would be cause for selling the trailer. One of the reasons for buying a trailer was to avoid public toilets.

wiredgeorge
07-04-2020, 04:53 PM
If I had my camper in a permanent location and was pumped by a honey wagon, I would install a 200 or 300 gallon waste tank. Neighbor did it prior his septic install and he had to wait a few months. I would have a plumber do the install unless you are handy. FWIW, the neighbor dumped gray water out on the ground... he lives on quite a few acres and although probably not going to make the ecologically minded happy, it was gray water from the sinks, shower and washer and he (lives with wife) only got pumped every couple months. If you dump gray water into a single holding tank with black water might be 20 days to a month? (just guessing).
Something like this:

https://www.rumpke.com/for-your-business/portable-restrooms/holding-tanks

Steve's 70-5
07-08-2020, 08:27 AM
Had a TT for little over a year. My rule is my last trip for the season is to a place that has full hook ups. I will spend time flushing my black water tank. Will run lots of water thru it. I am lucky to have a flush on my tank.

Will run some water in the tank when driving to campground hoping the water will loosen things up.

travelin texans
07-08-2020, 08:51 AM
I get a laugh out of these posts. If a trailer is parked at a full service campground, with water supply (remember - full service!), and sewage outlet, it would be the day I started running a snowblower in hades that I used the CG toilets for ANYTHING! Putting used toilet paper in a bag would be cause for selling the trailer. One of the reasons for buying a trailer was to avoid public toilets.

Same here!
No way are we storing used toilet paper!!!!!!
Or paying more for crappy (pun intended) rv specific paper.
As for the "paper digestor" chemical, that's one of enzymes mentioned that would be great when storing the RV for extended periods, but to dump in & drain in a few days won't do much good.

Stumpy75
07-09-2020, 02:44 AM
Same here!
No way are we storing used toilet paper!!!!!!
Or paying more for crappy (pun intended) rv specific paper.
As for the "paper digestor" chemical, that's one of enzymes mentioned that would be great when storing the RV for extended periods, but to dump in & drain in a few days won't do much good.

Since I had nothing else to do in the past 3 months, I decided to try an experiment. I used a small amount of that digester in a one gallon pail with 5 sheets of Angelsoft TP. I used a gallon bucket so I could measure out the exact amount/gallon that they recommended for regular maintenance. In another bucket, I used plain water with the TP. I did not stir or shake either bucket after addition of the TP.

I was kind of amazed at the difference. I did not mix or shake either bucket. In three days, the one with the digester had broken down the TP into fine pieces that laid on the bottom of the bucket in a pile where the sheets had been. . The TP in the plain water was soft, but not in fine pieces.

All I can say is that in my limited experiment, it seemed to work pretty well. It will only break down the paper, not the poo, and maybe with a mixture of both in the tank, you would have to use a lot more digester. I don't know about that.

Good luck, and maybe the OP can let us know how he solved the problem.

clickrs
07-09-2020, 08:06 AM
Hi I can’t find it but there is a YouTube video for getting rid of the poo pyramid, it is basically using the geo method borax Calgon and some dawn dish soap added to a bucket of water and poured into the toilet, followed with water and a soak. I use happy camper treatment. After we empty the black tank and close the value I now add a scoop of borax with the happy camper before using again we are at a seasonal site hooked up to a sewer line so we do this whenever we have to dump the tank. I am happy no more odors and things flush out all the way. We have a clear elbow so can see when it runs clear as we flush it before adding anything. Good luck found the video it is tr bowlin https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wUWGlm2gQfE

clickrs
07-09-2020, 08:13 AM
Agree 100%

sonofcy
07-09-2020, 09:01 AM
Yes it's in the chute on the way to the tank...
I think you're right-we're not using enough water... Yes I think it's probably become stuck to the side ! frig... This has only been over the past month...

We had that problem and had to get roto rooter to fix it. The cause is using the wrong toilet paper. Regular TP will stick and eventually block the pipe, ask me how I know. Use only septic certified TP and flush with lots of water.

McRod
07-09-2020, 09:10 AM
OP. Fill your toilet with water and use this sewer auger to open your drain. It attaches to your hand drill.
Get it at your local hardware store.

clickrs
07-09-2020, 09:17 AM
We had that problem and had to get roto rooter to fix it. The cause is using the wrong toilet paper. Regular TP will stick and eventually block the pipe, ask me how I know. Use only septic certified TP and flush with lots of water.

We use Scott’s regular tp and have never had a problem I buy it in bulk from bjs us3 it at home too.

notanlines
07-09-2020, 09:36 AM
I don't think that poking the spinning auger up into the black tank is a good idea. As a matter of fact I can think of few things worse than that action. You stand a very good chance of damaging the dump valve, the tank sensors, and maybe the tank itself.

McRod
07-09-2020, 10:12 AM
I don't think that poking the spinning auger up into the black tank is a good idea. As a matter of fact I can think of few things worse than that action. You stand a very good chance of damaging the dump valve, the tank sensors, and maybe the tank itself.

You don't swim up the creek. You swim down it.

CaptnJohn
07-09-2020, 11:22 AM
Never will I get the picture out of my mind~~~ those that collect TP instead of flushing it must collect and label it like some do with pictures. I can see relatives visiting and they point out the bag from Yellowstone, or the Missus big dump in New Orleans. Why not simply get an E-tool?

jwessel
07-09-2020, 12:51 PM
If you use the wand, is that only done at a site that has full hook up? I don't think other people waiting in line at the dump station will want to wait while I flush my black tank. If no one else is waiting maybe, but where do I get a water supply for the wand?

WDPatterson
07-09-2020, 02:12 PM
May,
My wife and I have been living in our 5th wheel for 2 years, while building our house. We have a similar condition as you do, using Barker 42-Gallon Tote Tanks, to haul off our refuse. Our black tank catches the shower and the toilet. Our gray tank catches the kitchen sink and the lavatory.

We have been using Thetford's Aqua-Kem Toss-Ins, in the powder fresh scent the entire time.
Nobody has mentioned it, but you need to make sure that when the people come and empty your black and grey tanks, that they properly shut the valves on them.
** You also need to add about four or five gallons of water into your Black Tank, to prep your black tank for further use.**
If you don't put that layer of water in the bottom of it, stuff will stick. After adding a little bit of water like that, throw a Thetford packet down in there. It will dissolve, and it will use an enzyme to dissolve and liquefy everything that gets in the tank.
I use a clear 90-degree elbow to see what I am emptying from my black and grey tanks, and I can assure you that everything is liquefied to the point that you can no longer recognize the contents. It's just a thin, muddy slurry.

ALWAYS ADD WATER & AQUA-KEM PACKETS AFTER EVERY TANK EMPTYING.

The packets not only smell good, but they do a very good job of dissolving any organic matter which will be in your gray tank or black tank.

If you feel that you need to clean your tank manually, you can use a "Johnny Chock" to hold the flapper door open.
https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Products-1213-1113-17-0115-Johnny/dp/B000BGOJ32/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=johnny+chock&qid=1594332687&sprefix=Johnny+Chock&sr=8-3

That will leave your hands-free to do the work of manipulating the tank cleaning wand.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006IX7YC?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Speaking of that clear sewer elbow, here is the one you can put between your dump outlet and the dump hose.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-RhinoFLEX-Protection-Connection-39847/dp/B006OQ35GU/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=rv+clear+sewer+hose+adapter&qid=1594333502&sr=8-8

FlyingAroundRV
07-09-2020, 03:24 PM
I saw the title of this thread and thought "OMG someone's found a store that still has stock of TOILET PAPER!"
I'd love to know the real reason there was a run on TP when the pandemic started...
Did someone put out the word that COVID gives you the runs?

flybouy
07-09-2020, 03:36 PM
I saw the title of this thread and thought "OMG someone's found a store that still has stock of TOILET PAPER!"
I'd love to know the real reason there was a run on TP when the pandemic started...
Did someone put out the word that COVID gives you the runs?

Two reasons the way I see it.
1 panic
2 fear

ctbruce
07-09-2020, 04:05 PM
Two reasons the way I see it.

1 panic

2 fearYou forgot

3. Sheepishness

Outbacker47
07-09-2020, 06:15 PM
I could really use some suggestions... :facepalm: 2007 Keystone Springdale 299bhds
With COVID, my park isn't letting us use their bathrooms. So we've had to use our toilet for poops (ew... yes I used that word) when we have never done that before.

I can see the wad of toilet paper... How do I get it down into the black holding tank like the liquid waste ? I've tried baking soda and vinegar... hot water with dish soap.

It's way too far down to reach by hand. Is there a miracle liquid that will dissolve it (without wrecking my pipes/plumbing?)...My teenager thought he'd help me, and went and got a big stick from the marsh behind our trailer and pushed it down further ! (UGH!) :angel:

Thanks a bunch !
Get yourself some and follow the directions for a clogged tank.
https://www.amazon.com/TankTechsRx-Treatment-treatments-Probiotics-portable/dp/B00JFUJBTW#

skids
07-11-2020, 06:34 AM
That will leave your hands-free to do the work of manipulating the tank cleaning wand.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006IX7YC?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

My camco wand does not have a self rotating nozzle. There is the advantage in that you can aim it at the sensors and keep spraying there. The one shown looks to have a splash-back skirt which is a DAMN GOOD IDEA! (Wear goggles and keep your mouth shut!)

travelin texans
07-11-2020, 07:39 AM
OP. Fill your toilet with water and use this sewer auger to open your drain. It attaches to your hand drill.
Get it at your local hardware store.

You don't swim up the creek. You swim down it.

Up or down over or under that auger used on a shallow plastic tank is a very good way to create an unwanted drain or two.
WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS METHOD!!!!!!