PDA

View Full Version : Screen Latch Issue/Question

TickTock
12-19-2016, 11:43 AM
The screen latch is not meeting up with the screen door frame like it should. Upon delivery the tech's answer was to yank on the frame to help the tongue of the latch meet it. Luckily it bounced back to where it normally lives. Does anyone know who makes this latch and if it comes with a longer tongue? I contacted Keystone but they told me to take it to the dealer for service. Seems like a lot of effort for a 5 dollar part I could install if I knew where to get it.

Here is a photo:

CrazyCain
12-19-2016, 01:42 PM
I had the same problem with my Hideout 177LHS screen door not latching good enough to stay closed. I took a tongue depresser, cut it to size and wedged it behind the "plastic" latch screwed on the door frame. Works perfectly and cost like 3 cents.. :)

The added picure is what i did to keep my door latched. Not sure if this is what you need, but hope it helps..

poppin_fresh
12-19-2016, 09:06 PM
Mine has the same issue and cant believe they consider that acceptable. I emailed Challenger about adjusting it and (not surprisingly) they never responded.

I haven't tried it yet, but I heard you can help it out by placing something between the door and frame (on the hinge side) and then closing the door to "tweak" it towards the latch. You basically bend the hinges very slightly to push the door away from the hinge side and closer to the opening side so that the latch catches better.

chuckster57
12-20-2016, 05:51 AM
Mine has the same issue and cant believe they consider that acceptable. I emailed Challenger about adjusting it and (not surprisingly) they never responded.

I haven't tried it yet, but I heard you can help it out by placing something between the door and frame (on the hinge side) and then closing the door to "tweak" it towards the latch. You basically bend the hinges very slightly to push the door away from the hinge side and closer to the opening side so that the latch catches better.

I have done that several times. It doesn't take very much to move the screen door frame over.

TickTock
12-29-2016, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. I came to a similar conclusion about trying to bend the frame over a bit. I will try it this weekend.

I never did find the manufacturer of that latch. I even did the google image search and came up blank. That logo you would think would be familiar to something/someone.

Midnightsremedy
05-31-2017, 04:23 AM
Our 2017 Passport has exactly the same issue, except the latch didn't catch at all. The dealer installed a new door and the latch catches about exactly as much as your picture.

dkd04231
05-31-2017, 07:35 AM
I had the exact same issue with my Cougar. I installed a screen door cross bar from Camping World and it worked great after that. Not sure why, I'm guessing that it trued up the door.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/screen-door-cross-bar-black-handle/35872

BuxCamper
05-31-2017, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the replies. I came to a similar conclusion about trying to bend the frame over a bit. I will try it this weekend.

I never did find the manufacturer of that latch. I even did the google image search and came up blank. That logo you would think would be familiar to something/someone.
Challenger Door.

I used a carpenter's pencil and a small piece of wood to bend the screen door hinges. Got it to latch tightly. If you bend the hinges too much the screen door scrapes the frame so it is a balancing act.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

BullyJiggz
06-08-2017, 03:26 PM
this is priceless.... My brand new 2017 Cougar 21RBSWE has the same issue. I am hoping the dealership will correct the issue. Otherwise, I am going to look at moving the latch and the receiver so it will make the proper connection.

BullyJiggz
06-08-2017, 03:45 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170608/f9c1415c69d63b1cdc0cc6da35da5f3d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptnJohn
06-09-2017, 05:27 PM
Had the same on my Cougar. Stopped at the CW dealer I bought it from for propane and mentioned it. Tech went inside, came out with a new latch and invoice to Keystone as still under warranty. Latch $5.99 and labor $38.50. Another month and out of warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk