Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
TickTock

Screen Latch Issue/Question

The screen latch is not meeting up with the screen door frame like it should. Upon delivery the tech's answer was to yank on the frame to help the tongue of the latch meet it. Luckily it bounced back to where it normally lives. Does anyone know who makes this latch and if it comes with a longer tongue? I contacted Keystone but they told me to take it to the dealer for service. Seems like a lot of effort for a 5 dollar part I could install if I knew where to get it.

Here is a photo:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenLatch.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	11645  
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
CrazyCain

Screen door latch

I had the same problem with my Hideout 177LHS screen door not latching good enough to stay closed. I took a tongue depresser, cut it to size and wedged it behind the "plastic" latch screwed on the door frame. Works perfectly and cost like 3 cents..

The added picure is what i did to keep my door latched. Not sure if this is what you need, but hope it helps..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161220_112906.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	11651  

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #3
poppin_fresh

Mine has the same issue and cant believe they consider that acceptable. I emailed Challenger about adjusting it and (not surprisingly) they never responded.

I haven't tried it yet, but I heard you can help it out by placing something between the door and frame (on the hinge side) and then closing the door to "tweak" it towards the latch. You basically bend the hinges very slightly to push the door away from the hinge side and closer to the opening side so that the latch catches better.
poppin_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:51 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppin_fresh View Post
Mine has the same issue and cant believe they consider that acceptable. I emailed Challenger about adjusting it and (not surprisingly) they never responded.

I haven't tried it yet, but I heard you can help it out by placing something between the door and frame (on the hinge side) and then closing the door to "tweak" it towards the latch. You basically bend the hinges very slightly to push the door away from the hinge side and closer to the opening side so that the latch catches better.

I have done that several times. It doesn't take very much to move the screen door frame over.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #5
TickTock

Thanks for the replies. I came to a similar conclusion about trying to bend the frame over a bit. I will try it this weekend.

I never did find the manufacturer of that latch. I even did the google image search and came up blank. That logo you would think would be familiar to something/someone.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:23 AM   #6
Midnightsremedy

Our 2017 Passport has exactly the same issue, except the latch didn't catch at all. The dealer installed a new door and the latch catches about exactly as much as your picture.
Midnightsremedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:35 AM   #7
dkd04231

I had the exact same issue with my Cougar. I installed a screen door cross bar from Camping World and it worked great after that. Not sure why, I'm guessing that it trued up the door.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...k-handle/35872
dkd04231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:19 PM   #8
BuxCamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
Thanks for the replies. I came to a similar conclusion about trying to bend the frame over a bit. I will try it this weekend.

I never did find the manufacturer of that latch. I even did the google image search and came up blank. That logo you would think would be familiar to something/someone.
Challenger Door.

I used a carpenter's pencil and a small piece of wood to bend the screen door hinges. Got it to latch tightly. If you bend the hinges too much the screen door scrapes the frame so it is a balancing act.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #9
BullyJiggz

this is priceless.... My brand new 2017 Cougar 21RBSWE has the same issue. I am hoping the dealership will correct the issue. Otherwise, I am going to look at moving the latch and the receiver so it will make the proper connection.
BullyJiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:45 PM   #10
BullyJiggz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BullyJiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #11
CaptnJohn

Had the same on my Cougar. Stopped at the CW dealer I bought it from for propane and mentioned it. Tech went inside, came out with a new latch and invoice to Keystone as still under warranty. Latch $5.99 and labor $38.50. Another month and out of warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote