PDA

View Full Version : Totally new to RVing

tbird
04-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Hi: I am the new proud owner of a Keystone RV trailer. A 2011 Bullet 278RLS.
Pull it with a 2010 GMC Sierra. I have never towed anything in my 45 years of driving. Is there anywhere I can get tips on hauling this thing? Getting pretty desperate actually. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Festus2
04-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum. If you have never towed anything before, I can understand your apprehension and the desire to "get some help". It would assist the members in helping you if you were to ask some specific questions or narrow down the areas in which you are unsure about.
Hitching up your trailer? Using your brake controller? Driving in town? On the highway? Backing up? Unhitching? Or all of the above??? lol.
If you can find a large and mostly vacant parking lot ---- take it there and practice. Slow and easy does it! Of all of the tasks in moving a trailer around, perhaps the most difficult is backing up. Again, this skill takes time, patience and lots of practice.
If you have a friend or neighbor with an RV --- get him to go along with you.
Have you tried doing a Google search?

rgwilliams69
04-18-2011, 02:51 AM
Welcome aboard Tbird!

jq1031
04-18-2011, 05:27 AM
Welcome TBIRD>>>>>>To follow up on previous remarks, if you have a sway control or friction bar on your hitch, either loosen or disconnect it before backing up. Parking lot training is the easiest way to learn. Also, camper mirrors are an absolute necessity. GOOD LUCK!!

Me.Bikes.Dogs
04-18-2011, 06:52 AM
Hey tbird,

Having never towed before it can seem scary. You'll get to be a pro in no time at all.

Use this search in Google "towing a trailer for the first time (http://www.google.com/search?q=towing+a+trailer+for+the+first+time)" you'll find lots of great advice.

Have fun and don't worry about it!

SpiderCO
04-18-2011, 07:22 AM
Hey tbird, congrats on the new Bullet... I'm no towing pro, but the piece of advice that has helped me immensely is when you're backing up and obviously looking in your mirrors, whichever way your trailer starts to go, turn that way to correct it/get it going back the other way. Hope it helps

DTJ9610
04-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Welcome TBIRD>>>>>>To follow up on previous remarks, if you have a sway control or friction bar on your hitch, either loosen or disconnect it before backing up. Parking lot training is the easiest way to learn. Also, camper mirrors are an absolute necessity. GOOD LUCK!!

Why is it suggested to loosen or disconnect prior to backing up?

Wing-in-it
04-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Why is it suggested to loosen or disconnect prior to backing up?

Because if you don't & cut to hard backing....it will bend & it will cost you $$$ to replace it.

What I do is when I get into the campground to register I remove it & leave it off till I get back on the road to go home.

Mark

DTJ9610
04-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Just started towing last year so alot of this is still new to me too. Thank you.

Wing-in-it
04-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Hi: I am the new proud owner of a Keystone RV trailer. A 2011 Bullet 278RLS.
Pull it with a 2010 GMC Sierra. I have never towed anything in my 45 years of driving. Is there anywhere I can get tips on hauling this thing? Getting pretty desperate actually. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome & Congrats!
Take your time it will come to you!

Mark

Just started towing last year so alot of this is still new to me too. Thank you.

You're welcome.....Have fun! We love it!

Mark

Handysam
04-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Welcome and congratulations on the new unit. With regards to towing, you have already gotten good advice here. I might add that you have someone stand behind you while backing up, flailing their arms about and yelling in shear panic as to cause undue stress for the entire weekend. That worked ONCE for us. Happy Camping, Sam

tbird
04-18-2011, 04:29 PM
I want to thank everyone for all the replies to my question. Thanks for all the good tips. At first I was thinking I have gotten in way over my head, but with your positive replies, I think everything will work out just fine. Thanks again buds.

jq1031
04-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Because if you don't & cut to hard backing....it will bend & it will cost you $$$ to replace it.

What I do is when I get into the campground to register I remove it & leave it off till I get back on the road to go home.

Mark

Agree, when you pull in to the CG, do that first & you won't forget!

wgb1
04-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Agree, when you pull in to the CG, do that first & you won't forget!

I have never towed anything before that required a sway control bar. When the dealer told me to be sure and disconnect it before backing, I thought, "OH crap, I know I will forget to do that at some point". Sure enough, when I arrived home with the trailer, I backed with the bar still connected. Fortunately I did not make any drastic maneuvers while backing. so no damage done.

Tbird, I have to agree that if you have never towed before, a large, empty parking lot would be a good place to start. It would also be a good idea to set up cones and drive around them to see what kind of clearance you need to leave while going around objects. Setting cones to simulate campsites that you can practice backing into would be good, as well simulating a narrow curvy lane, a post, sign etc. You can't hurt a cone and it can't hurt your rig. Its too late to learn about clearance and turning radius after you have caved in the side of your truck or trailer. Good luck and you are going to have a blast. Just take it slow and easy.

Also, invest in set of FMRS radios. Your spouse can be a spotter when backing into campsites and easily communicate any dangers or problems to you without all the arm flailing and yelling. LOL!!

Sparrow5181
04-19-2011, 03:29 AM
Also, invest in set of FMRS radios. Your spouse can be a spotter when backing into campsites and easily communicate any dangers or problems to you without all the arm flailing and yelling. LOL!!

Ditto, it's way less embarrassing than screaming "STOP!!!" when letting the driver know that he/she has nearly taken out the electric service/tree/whatever obstacle is in the blind spot.:eek: