PDA

View Full Version : RV Stabilizer Positioning

far733
02-19-2014, 10:40 AM
I own a 30 foot travel trailer with quad bunks in the back and the master bedroom in the front. I snug up each of the scissor jacks and I use two Bal X-Chocks between each set of tires. However, there is still quite a bit of movement within the trailer.

I am interested in getting a set of RV stabilizers (either Bal Lock-Arm or Steadyfast). I was considering installing one stabilizer on each scissor jack going from side to side. This should stop most side to side motion. I figure that the X-Chocks are stopping most of the the fore/aft movement so there shouldn't be a need to mount any of the stabilzers front to back.

What are your thoughts/opinions on this?

MIKEPATC
02-19-2014, 12:20 PM
I own a 30 foot travel trailer with quad bunks in the back and the master bedroom in the front. I snug up each of the scissor jacks and I use two Bal X-Chocks between each set of tires. However, there is still quite a bit of movement within the trailer.

I am interested in getting a set of RV stabilizers (either Bal Lock-Arm or Steadyfast). I was considering installing one stabilizer on each scissor jack going from side to side. This should stop most side to side motion. I figure that the X-Chocks are stopping most of the the fore/aft movement so there shouldn't be a need to mount any of the stabilzers front to back.

What are your thoughts/opinions on this?

Love my Steadyfast. Takes out 90-95% of the movement. Great customer service as well. :rolleyes:

far733
02-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the response! I have not decided which set I am going to go with yet.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to install the stabilizers to minimize the movement (i.e. one pair in the front for side to side and then another pair on the back for side to side; one pair for side to side and the other pair for front to rear; one pair for side to side and the other pair for front to rear with both placed in either the front or back; or one pair installed on one corner for both side to side and front to rear and then another set on the opposite corner, same relation). Even with my scissor jacks fully extended and with two X-chocks, my TT has a considerable amount of movement.

Kristi
02-19-2014, 12:37 PM
We have 2 sets of Bal. One bar mounted front to back on each jack. Cut down the wiggle tremendously.

far733
02-19-2014, 12:54 PM
We have 2 sets of Bal. One bar mounted front to back on each jack. Cut down the wiggle tremendously.

Do you use any between the wheel chocks with your set up (or did you prior to the install of your Bals)?

therink
02-19-2014, 01:07 PM
Side to side will probably be all you need if your wheels are positively chocked. I would start with side to side lock arms on front and rear stabilizers and see how that works.
Keep in mind that with a longer trailer, you will almost always experience frame flex and suspension bounce from movement in the trailer. If I am staying at a site for more than a couple of days, I sometimes place bottle jacks under the frame at the leaf spring equalizer, which reduces the flexing and suspension movement.

GaryWT
02-19-2014, 07:28 PM
We use the Valterra stabilizers. We know we will always have movement but we also go out of level when we open the slides so we are trying to limit that as well.

Courtland
02-19-2014, 09:43 PM
I'll second the Steadyfast system, worked great on my 5th wheel and it got rid of at least 90% of the motion and 100% of the wife's complaints. I had a question about the install and Paul the owner of the company called me directly, found out I ordered the wrong version and he overnighted me the correct pieces at no charge. The customer service he provides is exceptional, its a great product and I highly recommend the Steadyfast system.

far733
02-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Side to side will probably be all you need if your wheels are positively chocked. I would start with side to side lock arms on front and rear stabilizers and see how that works.
Keep in mind that with a longer trailer, you will almost always experience frame flex and suspension bounce from movement in the trailer. If I am staying at a site for more than a couple of days, I sometimes place bottle jacks under the frame at the leaf spring equalizer, which reduces the flexing and suspension movement.

They are positively chocked (I used X-Chocks btwn both sets of wheels and I re-tighten them after the tires cool).

I'm still torn on the best way to install them. I'm pretty sure that I will purchase two sets (4 stabilizers). I have considered installing all 4 going side to side. However, I'm wondering how it would work if I installed them on opposite corners with one pair installed on one rear corner for both side to side and front to rear and then another set on the front opposite corner, same relation. It seems that this way would support the triangulation theories.

Thoughts?

JRTJH
02-20-2014, 10:25 AM
BAL stabilizers are sold in a set of 2 rods for each jack position. In their literature, tBAL recommends installing all 4 rods on the front landing gear (for fifth wheels) and state that should eliminate most of the movement. They go on to say that if additional stability is desired, to install one set on a single jack position on the rear of the RV.

We installed on our front landing gear (I'd say that's similar to the two front jacks on a travel trailer) in both the lateral and longitudinal planes and with the x-chocks, we haven't noticed enough movement to warrant doing anything further. Of course we don't have kids jumping from beds and we don't square dance in the trailer either.... So, with that kind of movement, I can't comment, but with regular walking, sitting, standing activity, we're satisfied with all 4 rods on the front landing gear.

far733
02-20-2014, 10:55 AM
BAL stabilizers are sold in a set of 2 rods for each jack position. In their literature, tBAL recommends installing all 4 rods on the front landing gear (for fifth wheels) and state that should eliminate most of the movement. They go on to say that if additional stability is desired, to install one set on a single jack position on the rear of the RV.

We installed on our front landing gear (I'd say that's similar to the two front jacks on a travel trailer) in both the lateral and longitudinal planes and with the x-chocks, we haven't noticed enough movement to warrant doing anything further. Of course we don't have kids jumping from beds and we don't square dance in the trailer either.... So, with that kind of movement, I can't comment, but with regular walking, sitting, standing activity, we're satisfied with all 4 rods on the front landing gear.

LOL! We definately have kids running around!

That is interesting that you mentioned installing them on the front jacks of the TT as opposed to the rear. I can see why one would do this with a FW b/c there is not a lot of support up front and it sits higher. However, TT's have the A-Frame on the front with the tongue jack which you think would provide extra support up front.