Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
far733
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 27
RV Stabilizer Positioning

I own a 30 foot travel trailer with quad bunks in the back and the master bedroom in the front. I snug up each of the scissor jacks and I use two Bal X-Chocks between each set of tires. However, there is still quite a bit of movement within the trailer.

I am interested in getting a set of RV stabilizers (either Bal Lock-Arm or Steadyfast). I was considering installing one stabilizer on each scissor jack going from side to side. This should stop most side to side motion. I figure that the X-Chocks are stopping most of the the fore/aft movement so there shouldn't be a need to mount any of the stabilzers front to back.

What are your thoughts/opinions on this?
far733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
MIKEPATC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 105
Steadyfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by far733 View Post
I own a 30 foot travel trailer with quad bunks in the back and the master bedroom in the front. I snug up each of the scissor jacks and I use two Bal X-Chocks between each set of tires. However, there is still quite a bit of movement within the trailer.

I am interested in getting a set of RV stabilizers (either Bal Lock-Arm or Steadyfast). I was considering installing one stabilizer on each scissor jack going from side to side. This should stop most side to side motion. I figure that the X-Chocks are stopping most of the the fore/aft movement so there shouldn't be a need to mount any of the stabilzers front to back.

What are your thoughts/opinions on this?
Love my Steadyfast. Takes out 90-95% of the movement. Great customer service as well.
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
far733
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 27
Thanks for the response! I have not decided which set I am going to go with yet.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to install the stabilizers to minimize the movement (i.e. one pair in the front for side to side and then another pair on the back for side to side; one pair for side to side and the other pair for front to rear; one pair for side to side and the other pair for front to rear with both placed in either the front or back; or one pair installed on one corner for both side to side and front to rear and then another set on the opposite corner, same relation). Even with my scissor jacks fully extended and with two X-chocks, my TT has a considerable amount of movement.
far733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
Kristi
Senior Member
 
Kristi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,077
We have 2 sets of Bal. One bar mounted front to back on each jack. Cut down the wiggle tremendously.
__________________

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
far733
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
We have 2 sets of Bal. One bar mounted front to back on each jack. Cut down the wiggle tremendously.
Do you use any between the wheel chocks with your set up (or did you prior to the install of your Bals)?
far733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
therink
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,605
Side to side will probably be all you need if your wheels are positively chocked. I would start with side to side lock arms on front and rear stabilizers and see how that works.
Keep in mind that with a longer trailer, you will almost always experience frame flex and suspension bounce from movement in the trailer. If I am staying at a site for more than a couple of days, I sometimes place bottle jacks under the frame at the leaf spring equalizer, which reduces the flexing and suspension movement.
__________________
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Outback Sydney 340FBH (12,280 lbs loaded-scale)

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
GaryWT
Senior Member
 
GaryWT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 3,153
We use the Valterra stabilizers. We know we will always have movement but we also go out of level when we open the slides so we are trying to limit that as well.
__________________
2013 Premier 31BHPR
2014 F350 6.2L
Soon to be just DW and I
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #8
Courtland
Site Team | Emeritus
 
Courtland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 488
I'll second the Steadyfast system, worked great on my 5th wheel and it got rid of at least 90% of the motion and 100% of the wife's complaints. I had a question about the install and Paul the owner of the company called me directly, found out I ordered the wrong version and he overnighted me the correct pieces at no charge. The customer service he provides is exceptional, its a great product and I highly recommend the Steadyfast system.
__________________
2013 Ford F350
2013 Dutchmen Voltage 3950
83 CJ7; XR 650R, XR 50, TRX 450, TRX 400
My buddies 08 Keystone Fuzion 362 when its just the guys.
https://www.keystonerv.org
https://www.desertriders.org/forums
Courtland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
far733
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Side to side will probably be all you need if your wheels are positively chocked. I would start with side to side lock arms on front and rear stabilizers and see how that works.
Keep in mind that with a longer trailer, you will almost always experience frame flex and suspension bounce from movement in the trailer. If I am staying at a site for more than a couple of days, I sometimes place bottle jacks under the frame at the leaf spring equalizer, which reduces the flexing and suspension movement.
They are positively chocked (I used X-Chocks btwn both sets of wheels and I re-tighten them after the tires cool).

I'm still torn on the best way to install them. I'm pretty sure that I will purchase two sets (4 stabilizers). I have considered installing all 4 going side to side. However, I'm wondering how it would work if I installed them on opposite corners with one pair installed on one rear corner for both side to side and front to rear and then another set on the front opposite corner, same relation. It seems that this way would support the triangulation theories.

Thoughts?
far733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 21,636
BAL stabilizers are sold in a set of 2 rods for each jack position. In their literature, tBAL recommends installing all 4 rods on the front landing gear (for fifth wheels) and state that should eliminate most of the movement. They go on to say that if additional stability is desired, to install one set on a single jack position on the rear of the RV.

We installed on our front landing gear (I'd say that's similar to the two front jacks on a travel trailer) in both the lateral and longitudinal planes and with the x-chocks, we haven't noticed enough movement to warrant doing anything further. Of course we don't have kids jumping from beds and we don't square dance in the trailer either.... So, with that kind of movement, I can't comment, but with regular walking, sitting, standing activity, we're satisfied with all 4 rods on the front landing gear.
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
far733
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
BAL stabilizers are sold in a set of 2 rods for each jack position. In their literature, tBAL recommends installing all 4 rods on the front landing gear (for fifth wheels) and state that should eliminate most of the movement. They go on to say that if additional stability is desired, to install one set on a single jack position on the rear of the RV.

We installed on our front landing gear (I'd say that's similar to the two front jacks on a travel trailer) in both the lateral and longitudinal planes and with the x-chocks, we haven't noticed enough movement to warrant doing anything further. Of course we don't have kids jumping from beds and we don't square dance in the trailer either.... So, with that kind of movement, I can't comment, but with regular walking, sitting, standing activity, we're satisfied with all 4 rods on the front landing gear.
LOL! We definately have kids running around!

That is interesting that you mentioned installing them on the front jacks of the TT as opposed to the rear. I can see why one would do this with a FW b/c there is not a lot of support up front and it sits higher. However, TT's have the A-Frame on the front with the tongue jack which you think would provide extra support up front.
far733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.