PDA

View Full Version : champion generator??

skifreak76
06-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Anybody out there use 1 of these? the wife and I are looking into getting the 3500/4000 watt version. I can pick it up for $319. I like that it has a rv 30 amp plug. I just cant afford 1 of those nice fancy Honda generators.

MarkS
06-09-2013, 01:22 PM
I have one. We only go boondocking once or twice a year. I couldn't justify the Hondas. The champion works well.

f6bits
06-09-2013, 01:33 PM
I see that Home Depot has it for $249. The downside that I see is that it's not an inverter generator, so it doesn't have the nice sine wave output that solid state electronic devices like.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-Power-Equipment-3-500-4-000-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Generator-with-RV-Ready-46515/203070740#.UbT0PhZU6mA

raytronx
06-09-2013, 01:42 PM
I have a pair of the 2000w inverter type from Champion, they have been well used and beat on and still perform well, quiet too, they sell for around $500, the one your looking at will be a lot louder.

Champion has one now for around $899 or so 3100 watts inverter style with 30 amp plug. Saw it at Quartzsite RV show, looked and sounded good.

Ray

tmpaes
06-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Just purchased a 2000w Champion Generator/Inverter. It's a refurbished unit with 90 day warranty for $399. I added oil and gas and it started on the 1st pull. I was very impressed with how quiet it was. I haven't had it long enough to recommend anyone else to buy refurbished, but so far very happy with my choice and the price was right.

Essness
06-09-2013, 06:28 PM
I own a 4000 model and it's been rock solid for three years. Very happy with both the generator and Champion in general.
Had a broken air cleaner assembly from shipping, Champion asked a couple questions and had a replacement assembly 2 days later.
Great customer service and great product.

JRTJH
06-09-2013, 08:24 PM
I bought a Champion 4000/3500 from Tractor Supply about 3 years ago. We use it camping (we seldom camp in an actual campground, so noise is not a factor) and also use it to power the house during outages. We live pretty much so far out in the woods that we're the last house to get power restored during any significant outage. So far, I'd guess we have 350 to 400 hours on it and it still starts on the first pull, we can't hear it over the TV in the house during outages and we use a 1 inch foam board box on all 4 sides camping. Although it's not quite as quiet as a Honda 3000, from 30' away, I'd bet most people couldn't tell if it was a Champion or a Honda when it's inside that foam box. It is about the same weight as a Honda 3000, which is about 100 lbs give or take. Not real portable, but then that does help keep it in place when you turn your back on it LOL

Don't try to run it in the back of a pickup, the metal bed will echo sound and act as a megaphone making it much louder than it would be if it were sitting on the ground away from any metal objects.

As for the sine-wave technology, I've never had any issues with all the electronics we have. Granted, we're not into the latest and greatest electronic gadets, but the ones we do have and the rechargers for cell phones, our LED TV and the converter in the RV are just as happy with the Champion as they are at home plugged into the house outlets.

Clanton24v
06-09-2013, 09:22 PM
For the limited use I have a generator for the champion has been very good. And I've had mine for 4 yrs

bg71361
06-10-2013, 04:55 PM
I have the 3500/4000 too, had it for several years it has about 350 hours on it no issues what so ever, FYI Champion has awesome customer service and parts are readily available for these.
Good Luck
Bill

stlucia
06-11-2013, 04:56 PM
I currently have a Champion 7500 that Ive had almost a year now. We probably have around 85-100 hours on it. No problems!

Why did I go Champion? Two reasons 1) cause I, like many of you, could not justify the outrageous expense of a Honda and 2) i had a smaller Champion generator when we were stomping the campgrounds with a much smaller trailer, and it lasted 8 years of steady use. When we upgraded to our 5er, I upgraded to a bigger generator. I passed the little Champion on to my dad and he is still using it.

mobile42
06-11-2013, 07:55 PM
I own the Champion 4000 Watt for 2 years now and works great. No issues at all! Picked mine up at CW back when it was $299 along with the wheel kit.

MarkS
06-12-2013, 04:14 AM
I see that Home Depot has it for $249. The downside that I see is that it's not an inverter generator, so it doesn't have the nice sine wave output that solid state electronic devices like.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-Power-Equipment-3-500-4-000-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Generator-with-RV-Ready-46515/203070740#.UbT0PhZU6mA

Every so often, I see the assertion that somehow an inverter generator has a better sine wave than a simple generator. Where does this belief come from? When you plug your TV into the wall, at home, you are connecting to the power companies generators. With the exception of wind turbines, they do not use inverters

I have seen some inverters that have absolutely horrible sine waves.

Has someone posted a comparison of the sine wave from a Champion vs Honda? With oscilloscope traces?

f6bits
06-12-2013, 06:21 AM
Here's a nice long article with o-scope graphs:
http://www.screenlightandgrip.com/html/emailnewsletter_generators.html

Here's some random article with an output graph of residential power:
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?71545-Studies-On-Residential-Power-Line-Noise-Part-3-PS-Audio-Power-Plant-Premier

From what I've seen, a "proper" inverter generator has a very clean sine wave.

And here are some more traces:
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/electrical-c-d-c/330348-recommend-electronics-safe-portable-generator.html#post1632416

MarkS
06-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Thanks f6bits, lots to read and digest.

It's interesting that the ScreenLight article talks mostly about a non inverter style generator from Honda. Didn't know they made one.

Looks like there is a lot of variation between manufacturer and models. I guess I need to drag an Oscilloscope home with me to see what the Champion actually puts out.

JRTJH
06-12-2013, 08:52 AM
I have a Honda "non-inverter" generator, model EN2500. We bought it in Louisiana during Hurricane Rita. We also have, as most already know, a Champion 4000. Both are "louder" than the Honda 3000, but not by much. Both have "conventional generator heads (not sine-wave output) and either of my generators will power all our "delicate electronic equipment" just fine.

From my understanding of electronics, (I worked in the electronics maintenance and repair field for 20 years and taught solid state electronics for about 10 years) is that there is an "acceptability" of RMS power fluctuations. designed in all electronic equipment. Almost all electronic equipment will do just fine with conventional generator AC output. I say "almost all" because so far, I have not had any equipment damaged by or unable to operate on either of my generators, although I'm sure someone has. I understand that "sine-wave technology" is "cleaner" than conventional generator output, but my questions ares: Does electronic equipment "REQUIRE" sine-wave technology" to operate properly? and "What happens to equipment operated on conventional generator output?"

Undoubtedly, sine-wave generators produce cleaner output, but is it necessary?

Although there "might" be a sensitive piece of equipment out there, so far, everything I've owned has been just as happy on my generators as it has been on my home power outlets. I'm speaking from over 10 years of using portable generators to power my equipment.

I'm wondering if there's a possibility that the "new, greater and better" marketing has led us to believe that "sine-wave output" is somehow more "politically correct" in powering equipment??? Maybe it's akin to "clean diesel" ??

Essness
06-12-2013, 11:12 AM
I have a Honda "non-inverter" generator, model EN2500. We bought it in Louisiana during Hurricane Rita. We also have, as most already know, a Champion 4000. Both are "louder" than the Honda 3000, but not by much. Both have "conventional generator heads (not sine-wave output) and either of my generators will power all our "delicate electronic equipment" just fine.

From my understanding of electronics, (I worked in the electronics maintenance and repair field for 20 years and taught solid state electronics for about 10 years) is that there is an "acceptability" of RMS power fluctuations. designed in all electronic equipment. Almost all electronic equipment will do just fine with conventional generator AC output. I say "almost all" because so far, I have not had any equipment damaged by or unable to operate on either of my generators, although I'm sure someone has. I understand that "sine-wave technology" is "cleaner" than conventional generator output, but my questions ares: Does electronic equipment "REQUIRE" sine-wave technology" to operate properly? and "What happens to equipment operated on conventional generator output?"

Although there "might" be a sensitive piece of equipment out there, so far, everything I've owned has been just as happy on my generators as it has been on my home power outlets. I'm speaking from over 10 years of using portable generators to power my equipment.

I'm wondering if there's a possibility that the "new, greater and better" marketing has led us to believe that "sine-wave output" is somehow more "politically correct" in powering equipment??? Maybe it's akin to "clean diesel" ??

I personally believe the latter to be the truth:cool:

f6bits
06-12-2013, 01:20 PM
One last tidbit from my mind:
Does the Champion 3500/4000 (and other worksite generators) have an Econo mode? I sure like it when my Yamaha purrs along at idle with a light load. I believe they need to run at full speed to maintain their proper output.

raytronx
06-12-2013, 01:33 PM
One last tidbit from my mind:
Does the Champion 3500/4000 (and other worksite generators) have an Econo mode? I sure like it when my Yamaha purrs along at idle with a light load. I believe they need to run at full speed to maintain their proper output.

The new 3100w Champion inverter style purrs along nice, saw it demo at Quartzsite, has built in 30amp RV style plug also. Costs around $850 bucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr333qdkgmo

raytronx
06-12-2013, 01:48 PM

From http://www.samlexamerica.com/support/faqs/faq02.aspx#question_4

Which devices wont operated properly on modified sine wave inverter

Any device that uses a control circuitry that senses the phase (for voltage / speed control) or instantaneous zero voltage crossing (for timing control) will not work properly from a voltage that has a modified sine wave-form. Also, as the modified sine wave is a form of square wave, it is comprised of multiple sine waves of odd harmonics (multiples) of the fundamental frequency of the modified sine wave. For example, a 60 Hz. modified sine wave will consist of sine waves with odd harmonic frequencies of 3rd (180 Hz), 5th (300 Hz.), 7th (420 Hz.) and so on. The high frequency harmonic content in a modified sine wave produces enhanced radio interference, higher heating effect in motors / microwaves and produces overloading due to lowering of the impedance of low frequency filter capacitors / power factor improvement capacitors.

Some examples of devices that may not work properly with modified sine wave and may also get damaged are given below:

Laser printers, photocopiers, magneto-optical hard drives
The built-in clocks in devices such as clock radios, alarm clocks, coffee makers, bread-makers, VCR, microwave ovens etc may not keep time correctly
Output voltage control devices like dimmers, ceiling fan / motor speed control may not work properly (dimming / speed control may not function)
Sewing machines with speed / microprocessor control
Transformer-less capacitive input powered devices like (i) Razors, flashlights, night-lights, smoke detectors etc (ii) Re-chargers for battery packs used in hand power tools. These may get damaged. Please check with the manufacturer of these types of devices for suitability
Devices that use radio frequency signals carried by the AC distribution wiring
Some new furnaces with microprocessor control / Oil burner primary controls
High intensity discharge (HID) lamps like Metal Halide lamps. These may get damaged. Please check with the manufacturer of these types of devices for suitability
Some fluorescent lamps / light fixtures that have power factor correction capacitors. The inverter may shut down indicating overload

jlb27537
06-12-2013, 04:37 PM
A constant speed gen set will/should produce 60 cycle A/C and everything should run off it.

A constant speed gen set has no Eco speed as such.

If you are at a campsite that allows gen sets, and you fire up a "construction gen set" you will not make friends.

While you may not consider it noisy, your neighbor who bought a Honda or Yamaha may have a different opinion.

I just hope I don't camp next to you.

Essness
06-12-2013, 05:07 PM
The only place I ever need a generator is at the various race tracks. With the Champion, I'm the quiet one.

JRTJH
06-12-2013, 09:42 PM
A constant speed gen set will/should produce 60 cycle A/C and everything should run off it.

A constant speed gen set has no Eco speed as such.

If you are at a campsite that allows gen sets, and you fire up a "construction gen set" you will not make friends.

While you may not consider it noisy, your neighbor who bought a Honda or Yamaha may have a different opinion.

I just hope I don't camp next to you.

If you camp next to me and my generator (I might use it a couple of hours every other day) you'll be camped at least 500 feet away. That's the closest "next campsite" to where we normally camp. So, if you want to bring your Honda or Yamaha, I won't hear it just as I don't hear the Champions or even the Generac's that people use in our "unsettled" neck of the woods.....

I think the point is that not everyone needs to buy a Honda, Yamaha or other "big bucks" generator to keep the "environment quiet". Sometimes, common sense has to be used. Surely, barking dogs, kids on bicycles, "old men belching" and other noises are a part of being "close to other people". If you do that kind of camping, maybe you need a Honda generator, or possibly, you need solar and hope the neighbor doesn't say "SHHHHH" while you collect sunlight....... There's a certain realization that a Champion generator running for an hour in the afternoon doesn't "upset the campground" any more than a diesel F350 idling at 6 AM on the way to take the boat to the landing "upsets the campground"

Essness
06-13-2013, 03:55 AM
If you camp next to me and my generator (I might use it a couple of hours every other day) you'll be camped at least 500 feet away. That's the closest "next campsite" to where we normally camp. So, if you want to bring your Honda or Yamaha, I won't hear it just as I don't hear the Champions or even the Generac's that people use in our "unsettled" neck of the woods.....

I think the point is that not everyone needs to buy a Honda, Yamaha or other "big bucks" generator to keep the "environment quiet". Sometimes, common sense has to be used. Surely, barking dogs, kids on bicycles, "old men belching" and other noises are a part of being "close to other people". If you do that kind of camping, maybe you need a Honda generator, or possibly, you need solar and hope the neighbor doesn't say "SHHHHH" while you collect sunlight....... There's a certain realization that a Champion generator running for an hour in the afternoon doesn't "upset the campground" any more than a diesel F350 idling at 6 AM on the way to take the boat to the landing "upsets the campground"

It's always interesting to me what triggers annoyance in people. And of course the noise they make never occurs to them or is somehow perfectly justified:confused:

Bob Landry
06-13-2013, 05:58 AM
I talked a bit with a gentleman that had a champion generator that he was quite happy with and was told he also knew a couple of guys who also had them and were happy with them. They do seem to be a good value for the money, however, their website makes no reference as to where to get service if needed. That would be a big question before I purchased anything that I was not personally qualified to work on.

raytronx
06-13-2013, 07:07 AM
http://supergenproducts.com/

Met these guys at Quartzsite RV Show, they do service. Really nice guys, you can actually call them on the phone and they answer! hehe. Found out there is an upgrade to the control board available for mine and even though they are out of warranty if I send in the board, its no charge to have the firmware upgraded.

If anyone wants to read till there eyes get crossed about Champion Gennys, there is a 271 page thread at RV.net forum that has been running for years.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24022161/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

Essness
06-13-2013, 09:36 AM
I talked a bit with a gentleman that had a champion generator that he was quite happy with and was told he also knew a couple of guys who also had them and were happy with them. They do seem to be a good value for the money, however, their website makes no reference as to where to get service if needed. That would be a big question before I purchased anything that I was not personally qualified to work on.

When mine arrived with the broken air box, I called them and they gave me 3 different service centers within 15 miles of my house. I live in a somewhat rural community so I was kinda impressed.

JRTJH
06-13-2013, 04:28 PM

Bob, When I bought my Champion from Tractor Supply, the owner's packet came with the manual and a list of service centers. On the Champion website, in the FAQ's is this answer to the question, "How do I contact the Champion 24 hour help line?"

"During regular business hours (Pacific Time Zone), call our toll-free line at (877) 338-0999. Outside of regular business hours, we are pleased to offer two options: 1. Contact our technical staff via email at [email protected]; we will respond promptly. Please be sure to include your model number and a brief description of how we can help. 2. For power/generator emergencies, please contact our on-call technical staff at (562) 204-1188, weekends and holidays included. If we aren't able to answer your call immediately, please leave a voicemail. Be sure to include your contact information, model number of your generator and a brief description of how we can help. A response will usually be made within minutes."

I've never had to call their "after hours" service, but the two times I called their regular CS line, I didn't get put on hold and was talking to a human, not a computer voice within a minute.

There are 4 Champion authorized service centers within 30 minutes of my house. BTW, it's 35 minutes to WalMart and KMart.

I wouldn't think you'd have any issues finding service in your area.

Bluewater
06-13-2013, 05:29 PM
You may be the least popular camper in the park though.

JRTJH
06-13-2013, 07:51 PM
You may be the least popular camper in the park though.

Read my previous posts, methinks you just don't get where I camp !!!!!

I haven't had a skunk, bear, deer or moose complain about my Champion yet.

crash
06-14-2013, 11:22 AM
We have one the 3500/4000 ,used it on our last TT before upgrading to the Raptor with the 5500 onan,The little champion did great and is still going ,matter of fact I have it over at one of our rental properties because they still are without power :D

kancop
06-23-2013, 01:58 PM
So, this may seem like a basic question, but what wattage is necessary to run a 13K btu AC and everything else on board? I don't want to purchase to small of a generator

Festus2
06-23-2013, 02:51 PM
If you make a list of all those items that you might have operating at the same time and beside each the wattage that each requires that will give you an idea of what size generator you should consider.

There are some items, like the A/C, that require more "startup" amps to get it going and consequently more watts are required during the initial startup.

In addition, you didn't mention whether or not your unit is wired for 30A or 50A so that will place limits on how many things you can have going at once.

It isn't likely that you will have everything on board going at the same time, but there are some items - like the converter - that is running in the background and draws about 7-9 amps. Don't forget to include items like these in your calculations.

My guess would be that you would need a minimum of 3500-4000 watt generator to run your A/C plus some other items - but not everything.

kancop
06-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Festus, great help in your answer. That gives me some work to start with and gauge my size of generator. I figured around 4,000 would be pretty standard, but now I know why. Thanks! BTW, mine is a 30A service.

Festus2
06-23-2013, 03:43 PM
kancop -
Having a 30A service will no doubt put some limits on how many items you can have running at the same time - regardless of the size of the generator.
The A/C will probably take 15A for starters and if you start adding things like a microwave, coffee maker, HW tank on electric, the converter, etc. you will soon find out that you will have to pick and choose which things you can have going at the same time. The items I mentioned, all take a fair chunk out of that 30A.

Good luck in your generator purchase.

JRTJH
06-23-2013, 04:09 PM
A 3500 watt continuous output generator produces 30.4 Amps at 115 VAC. So, essentially, if you have a 30 Amp trailer input, any generator capable of producing 3500 watts will power everything in your RV just as it would if you were connected to shore power. Granted, you will have to pick and choose among high wattage appliances, but you have to do that whether you're connected to a 3500 watt generator or shore power. So, any generator bigger than 3500 watts (continuous output) will be "overkill" for a 30 Amp RV.

Now, if you start plugging other things into the generator outlets addition to the RV, that's another situation entirely.

kancop
06-23-2013, 04:11 PM
I am going to go with the Champion 73534i paralleled. I couldn't beat the price at 849.00 refurbished. I will keep you posted.

skifreak76
06-23-2013, 04:34 PM
thanks everyone I just ordered it form farmandfleet.com they have it on sale for $249.99 with $30 shipping for a total of $280 way cheaper than everywhere else I looked!!

crash
06-24-2013, 05:02 AM
I use the generator now going around the property in the back of the truck to do repair :Dgreat little genny .

JRTJH
06-24-2013, 08:49 AM
I am going to go with the Champion 73534i paralleled. I couldn't beat the price at 849.00 refurbished. I will keep you posted.

No intention of "bursting your bubble" but that generator is available new from Northern Tool for $699 and is currently on sale for $649.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200458014_200458014

kancop
06-24-2013, 06:34 PM
John, that is the price for two generators and the parallel cord. I was a bit vague in my post as I read it. Mind you they are refurbished generators by the factory, so it is buyer beware.

JRTJH
06-24-2013, 06:52 PM
AHHHHH Then that's a darned good price. From what I can tell, if Champion did the refurbishing and you get some kind of warranty, you should be fine. Sam's Club had them on clearance a couple of years ago, I saw them in Detroit, thought I'd wait and pick them up in Traverse City. Went to Bass Pro, decided to go back and get them. All were gone :( Anyway, they were about $300 each on clearance, then add the parallel cable and tax, it would have been about the same as you're paying.

I think you'll be satisfied. At least let's hope so :)

kancop
06-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks John. Yeah, I am optimistic, but they are machines. My brother in law has already been hanging trash on me since I didn't buy Honda's. But the truth is I just couldn't afford it. Specs on both are similar but the prices are anything but!

mobile42
11-25-2015, 04:12 PM
Anyone interested in the Champion Generator. Tractor Supply Co has the 3,650W/4,500W model on sale right now for $249.99 for Black Friday Specials only!

dcg9381
11-26-2015, 09:58 AM
Anyone interested in the Champion Generator. Tractor Supply Co has the 3,650W/4,500W model on sale right now for $249.99 for Black Friday Specials only!

Thats a good deal - give you the standard 30A 120V outlet (28A if I remember right) and the flexibility of a 240v.

The 3500 version of that is my favorite low-budget generator..

sw342
11-27-2015, 10:08 AM
I took a flyer on a Champion 4500 about 5 years ago for $29 brand new and its been very reliable. I didn't have a built in generator at the time. It was pretty loud for any extended period of running time, but never failed to run when needed. It now sits in the garage as a backup and gets started a couple times a years. I am sure the newer inverter style ones down at Costco are quieter than the contractor model I have.

I actually prefer to pack along an older Honda 650 for running some lights, TV, Blu-ray, Xbox etc than firing up the on board Onan.

banjo1948
11-28-2015, 02:20 PM
I have been running a Sportsman 4000W..propane gen...for the past 7 years, without any problems...I do run it at least once a month just for maintenance for 15-20 minutes, when I'm not dry camping...it starts every time with one to two pulls....ran it last year at Christmas time to light up tree lights and outside light when the neighborhood was having a power outage.....it's about 67db...very fuel wise....no carb problems.....
I see Home Depot online has them with a 30amp RV plug on sale for $279....
Well that's my 2 cents....

pga33
12-05-2015, 07:20 PM
I have a Champion 3000, had it for five years and it only started twice. I used a substance called "starter fluid" and it cranked right up. Since then, I've used it on dry camping trips for 50 straight hours without a problem.
One item of note, the 30 amp "RV" plug was just marketing. It's actually a 23 amp outlet. It can be tough if you have to run your a/c a lot. I wonder if this is still an issue on later Champion models.

dcg9381
12-07-2015, 09:16 AM
One item of note, the 30 amp "RV" plug was just marketing. It's actually a 23 amp outlet. It can be tough if you have to run your a/c a lot. I wonder if this is still an issue on later Champion models.

23 Amps * 120V = 2760 watts

The 3500/4000 watt generator has a 25A breaker on the 30A outlet..

I know that the 3500/4000 has worked great for me (30A use). It's easy to buy a 5000+ watt generator only to be disappointed when you connect it to a 30A trailer because the legs of the 240v plug are often rated for < 20 amps.

ReadyToRoll
12-16-2015, 01:48 PM
first gen-set we purchased was from the dealer. it was a 35/4000 k unit. Living in the higher elevations and sometimes wanting to run the ac plus the microwave, it just didn't have enough engine. Even with the "high elevation" jetting it just couldn't supply enough power to run the generator even with just trying to initially start the ac compressor. The dealer had it replaced and claimed that it had a shorted field??? The replacement generator did the same thing. We then purchased a 75/8000k generator from Harbor Freight. Have only used it twice but it has easily enough engine power and wattage to run just like home. As for size and weight, weighs only about 60# more and only about 3" higher and 4" longer. Also has a 12 hour run time at 50% load which is easy to do with 7500 watt. Has electric start and starts easily. Built a "dog house" in the front of the truck bed and fabricated an exhaust extension to get the noise out of the bed confines. I feel it's reasonably quiet now. Also gets the exh. heat out of the bed as well. So far, very satisfied and as cost went, only about $100 more. Only added expense was a battery had to be purchased but Walmart had a battery in stock that met the amp hour requirements. So far, very satisfied. PS doesn't have a problem with charging and or powering our computers, tv, or anything else.

JRTJH
12-31-2015, 01:01 PM
23 Amps * 120V = 2760 watts

The 3500/4000 watt generator has a 25A breaker on the 30A outlet..

I know that the 3500/4000 has worked great for me (30A use). It's easy to buy a 5000+ watt generator only to be disappointed when you connect it to a 30A trailer because the legs of the 240v plug are often rated for < 20 amps.

I know your post is "almost ancient history" by now (almost 3 weeks old) but something didn't sound right with your example from the way I 'remembered" my generator. So, when I had a few minutes to look at the schematics on Champion generators, I did a little research. It seems Champion uses two (possibly more) generator heads on their 4000/3500 watt generators. Some are equipped with 120/240 VAC capability and some aren't. On those with a "double secondary winding" and the 240 VAC capability, each leg of the 120 is coupled with a 15 amp circuit breaker. So, the power supplied to the 30 amp "RV plug" is actually 30 amps. The combined rating is then routed through a 20 amp breaker to supply power to the 20 amp "conventional plug". The 240 VAC plug "splits" the secondary winding output into two legs, each protected by the 15 Amp breakers. So, in 240 VAC operation, the generator output is limited to 15 amps on each leg (total of 1800 watts per leg) for an maximum "protected output" of 3600 watts.

When operating in 120 VAC mode, using the "RV plug" the maximum amperage would be double the "15 amp per leg" and available power at the "RV plug" is 30 amps at 120 VAC, or 3600 watts".

As there are a number of different "Champion 4000/3500 watt" generators, the above applies to generator models # 46514 and 46598. They are both 120/240 volt models. The model # 46533 (a 120VAC only model) does, as you indicate, have a 25 amp breaker on the "single secondary winding" and maximum output is limited to 25 amps at 120 VAC for a maximum wattage output of 3000 watts.

I believe the "late model" Champion generators in the 4000 watt range are "mostly" single voltage units, capable of producing 120 VAC only and are, for the most part restricted as you indicated. However the "older units" that were capable of 120/240 VAC operation are wired differently and do produce a greater available wattage in continuous use.

The various models are listed on the Champion website. To get to the "actual breaker capacities" you'll need to download the schematics (located on the website) for the individual model and look at the owner's manual download link. http://www.championpowerequipment.com/products/generators/?starter=Pull%20Start&fueltype=Gas&availability=USA

You're right in stating that "some" Champion generators can't produce the "rated output" because of the circuit breaker wiring, but that's not the case with all of the Champion generators.

Yosemitebob
01-01-2016, 04:12 PM
I also have a Champion, still using it after two years, going strong. I use computers, but have them on their own surge protection, just because the boss wants it that way, I have had no problems.