Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
skifreak76

champion generator??

Anybody out there use 1 of these? the wife and I are looking into getting the 3500/4000 watt version. I can pick it up for $319. I like that it has a rv 30 amp plug. I just cant afford 1 of those nice fancy Honda generators.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
MarkS

I have one. We only go boondocking once or twice a year. I couldn't justify the Hondas. The champion works well.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
f6bits

I see that Home Depot has it for $249. The downside that I see is that it's not an inverter generator, so it doesn't have the nice sine wave output that solid state electronic devices like.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-...0#.UbT0PhZU6mA

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
raytronx

I have a pair of the 2000w inverter type from Champion, they have been well used and beat on and still perform well, quiet too, they sell for around $500, the one your looking at will be a lot louder.

Champion has one now for around $899 or so 3100 watts inverter style with 30 amp plug. Saw it at Quartzsite RV show, looked and sounded good.

Ray

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
tmpaes

Just purchased a 2000w Champion Generator/Inverter. It's a refurbished unit with 90 day warranty for $399. I added oil and gas and it started on the 1st pull. I was very impressed with how quiet it was. I haven't had it long enough to recommend anyone else to buy refurbished, but so far very happy with my choice and the price was right.
tmpaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
Essness

I own a 4000 model and it's been rock solid for three years. Very happy with both the generator and Champion in general.
Had a broken air cleaner assembly from shipping, Champion asked a couple questions and had a replacement assembly 2 days later.
Great customer service and great product.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I bought a Champion 4000/3500 from Tractor Supply about 3 years ago. We use it camping (we seldom camp in an actual campground, so noise is not a factor) and also use it to power the house during outages. We live pretty much so far out in the woods that we're the last house to get power restored during any significant outage. So far, I'd guess we have 350 to 400 hours on it and it still starts on the first pull, we can't hear it over the TV in the house during outages and we use a 1 inch foam board box on all 4 sides camping. Although it's not quite as quiet as a Honda 3000, from 30' away, I'd bet most people couldn't tell if it was a Champion or a Honda when it's inside that foam box. It is about the same weight as a Honda 3000, which is about 100 lbs give or take. Not real portable, but then that does help keep it in place when you turn your back on it LOL

Don't try to run it in the back of a pickup, the metal bed will echo sound and act as a megaphone making it much louder than it would be if it were sitting on the ground away from any metal objects.

As for the sine-wave technology, I've never had any issues with all the electronics we have. Granted, we're not into the latest and greatest electronic gadets, but the ones we do have and the rechargers for cell phones, our LED TV and the converter in the RV are just as happy with the Champion as they are at home plugged into the house outlets.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Clanton24v

For the limited use I have a generator for the champion has been very good. And I've had mine for 4 yrs
Clanton24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
bg71361

I have the 3500/4000 too, had it for several years it has about 350 hours on it no issues what so ever, FYI Champion has awesome customer service and parts are readily available for these.
Good Luck
Bill
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
stlucia

I currently have a Champion 7500 that Ive had almost a year now. We probably have around 85-100 hours on it. No problems!

Why did I go Champion? Two reasons 1) cause I, like many of you, could not justify the outrageous expense of a Honda and 2) i had a smaller Champion generator when we were stomping the campgrounds with a much smaller trailer, and it lasted 8 years of steady use. When we upgraded to our 5er, I upgraded to a bigger generator. I passed the little Champion on to my dad and he is still using it.
stlucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
mobile42

I own the Champion 4000 Watt for 2 years now and works great. No issues at all! Picked mine up at CW back when it was $299 along with the wheel kit.
4000 Watt Champion Generator

2007 Keystone Sprinter 264BHS TT
2005 Flagstaff Forest River TT
mobile42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:14 AM   #12
MarkS

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
I see that Home Depot has it for $249. The downside that I see is that it's not an inverter generator, so it doesn't have the nice sine wave output that solid state electronic devices like.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-...0#.UbT0PhZU6mA
Every so often, I see the assertion that somehow an inverter generator has a better sine wave than a simple generator. Where does this belief come from? When you plug your TV into the wall, at home, you are connecting to the power companies generators. With the exception of wind turbines, they do not use inverters

I have seen some inverters that have absolutely horrible sine waves.

Has someone posted a comparison of the sine wave from a Champion vs Honda? With oscilloscope traces?

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
18K Pullright Hitch
Old 06-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #13
f6bits

Here's a nice long article with o-scope graphs:
http://www.screenlightandgrip.com/ht...enerators.html

Here's some random article with an output graph of residential power:
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...-Plant-Premier

From what I've seen, a "proper" inverter generator has a very clean sine wave.

And here are some more traces:
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ml#post1632416

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 06-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #14
MarkS

Thanks f6bits, lots to read and digest.

It's interesting that the ScreenLight article talks mostly about a non inverter style generator from Honda. Didn't know they made one.

Looks like there is a lot of variation between manufacturer and models. I guess I need to drag an Oscilloscope home with me to see what the Champion actually puts out.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
18K Pullright Hitch
Old 06-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

I have a Honda "non-inverter" generator, model EN2500. We bought it in Louisiana during Hurricane Rita. We also have, as most already know, a Champion 4000. Both are "louder" than the Honda 3000, but not by much. Both have "conventional generator heads (not sine-wave output) and either of my generators will power all our "delicate electronic equipment" just fine.

From my understanding of electronics, (I worked in the electronics maintenance and repair field for 20 years and taught solid state electronics for about 10 years) is that there is an "acceptability" of RMS power fluctuations. designed in all electronic equipment. Almost all electronic equipment will do just fine with conventional generator AC output. I say "almost all" because so far, I have not had any equipment damaged by or unable to operate on either of my generators, although I'm sure someone has. I understand that "sine-wave technology" is "cleaner" than conventional generator output, but my questions ares: Does electronic equipment "REQUIRE" sine-wave technology" to operate properly? and "What happens to equipment operated on conventional generator output?"

Undoubtedly, sine-wave generators produce cleaner output, but is it necessary?

Although there "might" be a sensitive piece of equipment out there, so far, everything I've owned has been just as happy on my generators as it has been on my home power outlets. I'm speaking from over 10 years of using portable generators to power my equipment.

I'm wondering if there's a possibility that the "new, greater and better" marketing has led us to believe that "sine-wave output" is somehow more "politically correct" in powering equipment??? Maybe it's akin to "clean diesel" ??

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #16
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I have a Honda "non-inverter" generator, model EN2500. We bought it in Louisiana during Hurricane Rita. We also have, as most already know, a Champion 4000. Both are "louder" than the Honda 3000, but not by much. Both have "conventional generator heads (not sine-wave output) and either of my generators will power all our "delicate electronic equipment" just fine.

From my understanding of electronics, (I worked in the electronics maintenance and repair field for 20 years and taught solid state electronics for about 10 years) is that there is an "acceptability" of RMS power fluctuations. designed in all electronic equipment. Almost all electronic equipment will do just fine with conventional generator AC output. I say "almost all" because so far, I have not had any equipment damaged by or unable to operate on either of my generators, although I'm sure someone has. I understand that "sine-wave technology" is "cleaner" than conventional generator output, but my questions ares: Does electronic equipment "REQUIRE" sine-wave technology" to operate properly? and "What happens to equipment operated on conventional generator output?"

Although there "might" be a sensitive piece of equipment out there, so far, everything I've owned has been just as happy on my generators as it has been on my home power outlets. I'm speaking from over 10 years of using portable generators to power my equipment.

I'm wondering if there's a possibility that the "new, greater and better" marketing has led us to believe that "sine-wave output" is somehow more "politically correct" in powering equipment??? Maybe it's akin to "clean diesel" ??
I personally believe the latter to be the truth
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #17
f6bits

One last tidbit from my mind:
Does the Champion 3500/4000 (and other worksite generators) have an Econo mode? I sure like it when my Yamaha purrs along at idle with a light load. I believe they need to run at full speed to maintain their proper output.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 06-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
One last tidbit from my mind:
Does the Champion 3500/4000 (and other worksite generators) have an Econo mode? I sure like it when my Yamaha purrs along at idle with a light load. I believe they need to run at full speed to maintain their proper output.
The new 3100w Champion inverter style purrs along nice, saw it demo at Quartzsite, has built in 30amp RV style plug also. Costs around $850 bucks.

LoveYourRV.com
Old 06-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #19
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

From http://www.samlexamerica.com/support...spx#question_4

Which devices wont operated properly on modified sine wave inverter

Any device that uses a control circuitry that senses the phase (for voltage / speed control) or instantaneous zero voltage crossing (for timing control) will not work properly from a voltage that has a modified sine wave-form. Also, as the modified sine wave is a form of square wave, it is comprised of multiple sine waves of odd harmonics (multiples) of the fundamental frequency of the modified sine wave. For example, a 60 Hz. modified sine wave will consist of sine waves with odd harmonic frequencies of 3rd (180 Hz), 5th (300 Hz.), 7th (420 Hz.) and so on. The high frequency harmonic content in a modified sine wave produces enhanced radio interference, higher heating effect in motors / microwaves and produces overloading due to lowering of the impedance of low frequency filter capacitors / power factor improvement capacitors.

Some examples of devices that may not work properly with modified sine wave and may also get damaged are given below:

Laser printers, photocopiers, magneto-optical hard drives
The built-in clocks in devices such as clock radios, alarm clocks, coffee makers, bread-makers, VCR, microwave ovens etc may not keep time correctly
Output voltage control devices like dimmers, ceiling fan / motor speed control may not work properly (dimming / speed control may not function)
Sewing machines with speed / microprocessor control
Transformer-less capacitive input powered devices like (i) Razors, flashlights, night-lights, smoke detectors etc (ii) Re-chargers for battery packs used in hand power tools. These may get damaged. Please check with the manufacturer of these types of devices for suitability
Devices that use radio frequency signals carried by the AC distribution wiring
Some new furnaces with microprocessor control / Oil burner primary controls
High intensity discharge (HID) lamps like Metal Halide lamps. These may get damaged. Please check with the manufacturer of these types of devices for suitability
Some fluorescent lamps / light fixtures that have power factor correction capacitors. The inverter may shut down indicating overload

LoveYourRV.com
Old 06-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #20
jlb27537

A constant speed gen set will/should produce 60 cycle A/C and everything should run off it.

A constant speed gen set has no Eco speed as such.

If you are at a campsite that allows gen sets, and you fire up a "construction gen set" you will not make friends.

While you may not consider it noisy, your neighbor who bought a Honda or Yamaha may have a different opinion.

I just hope I don't camp next to you.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote