Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
Htfiremedic

Power awning and rope lights

I was wondering if anyone has used rope lights on their power awning, and left them attached. DW bought some rope lights and wants them added to the awning. Due to the awning height on our Fuzion TH, she asked if we could just roll them up inside the awning for storage, or if we needed to just take the down each time.
Any ideas?
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
poochy

awning lights

we have a 20ft power awning i installed a double track and 1 roll of rope lighting which we got from cw the awning will roll up with no problems with just track installed wont roll up with lite in track but thats ok takes only 5 minute 2 put lights in track hope this helps happy camping butch
poochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

You can buy an LED ribbon that's self adhesive, tapes to the awning roller tube, leaves the awning track open to use for other things, has 300 LED's on it and is about 5/8" wide and 1/8" thick. It can be bought on EBay for about $25 comes in red, blue, green, soft white, cool white, yellow or multicolor. Each LED gives off about 7 lumens of light, so the 16' ribbon would give off about 2100 lumens. That's bright enough to read a newspaper after dark. The ribbons are waterproof, self adhesive, can be cut to most any length (the rest will be waste, so don't buy a 5 meter ribbon if you only want 1 or 2 feet of leds, buy the shorter strips).

They will light the area under the awning well, can be rolled up in the awning without damage, use very little electricity and once installed are pretty much there for the "duration" One problem is that they need to be unplugged before rolling the awning up because as the tube rolls, it would damage the plug which needs to be run from the camper to the awning roller tube.

You won't have the cute cactus, or monkeys and bananas, or the trailers and trucks hanging from your awning, but you do get effective light that can stay in place without using the awning slot.

Just one solution, I'm sure there are others.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
chartrand

I like these strips, they are becoming popular for Christmas enthusiasts. Hey are 12 volt strips, how are you powering them,110 to a 12 volt converter, or to some 12 volt outlet on your trailer?

Pat

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Htfiremedic

Mine appear to be 110. The others, if I do that, I'll pull 12 v from the outside step light.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I have bought the lights but not yet installed them. My plan is to run 12VDC from under the steps at that light over to the bottom of the awning rail support, run it to the outside of the trailer, put a small switch there and then route the wire up the awning support. Put a plug on the end of the support and then wire the light strip so I can plug them in and then lift the awning. I'll have to unplug the lights before rolling up the awning, but at least I won't be threading lights through the awning tube and then pulling them back out.

I'd think 12VDC lights would be much more versatile than 110 lights. And with the low power use of LED's even boondocking they could be used.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
Htfiremedic

I'd think 12VDC lights would be much more versatile than 110 lights. And with the low power use of LED's even boondocking they could be used.[/QUOTE]
I see your point and I agree. I may have to drop back ad order the 12volt!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

If you do, make sure you get the waterproof ones. both kinds are available, but the non waterproof will not last outside.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-13-2013, 02:59 AM   #9
richf28

Does anyone have a web site for the 12 volt ribbon type?

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #10
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf28 View Post
Does anyone have a web site for the 12 volt ribbon type?
They are all over Ebay. Here is one of thousands: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150859850287...84.m1423.l2649 (I searched on led strip waterproof and got over 24,000 hits.

I think the 5050 SMD chips are still the best choice at the moment as they are are double the output of 1210 chip and triple the output of a 3528 chip. Plenty of discussion on that in the LED replacement sticky thread.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
enyapp

Camping world sells a kit ($70+). They also have a video by Dometic showing how easy it is to intall. I like the price on Ebay a lot better. No one has mentioned installing them underneath the awning where it ataches to the RV like what is shown in the video. That way you wouldn't have to worry about unplugging the strip if you wanted to roll in the awning. Is it better to have the lights on the end of the awning to cast the light further? Or is it just what everyone is use to since the accessory track is at the end and that's typically where the lights are hung?

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ip-white/59972
enyapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

I suppose it's a matter of personal preference whether you install them at the roller end or the trailer side of the awning. My thought is that if they are next to the trailer, they will attract bugs closer to the door. Out by the awning roller, at least there's a chance of opening the screen door to get in without that biting and buzzing part of the outdoors coming in with you.

From a functional standpoint, I'd guess you'll get the same light under the awning either way, it would just cast shadows to the other side of things.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
f6bits

I'm planning on attaching my LED sticky strip to the trailer side of the awning (the underside of the gutter). Much easier to manage power, plus I don't have to worry about it getting wrapped up in the awning.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #14
Roller4Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
I'm planning on attaching my LED sticky strip to the trailer side of the awning (the underside of the gutter). Much easier to manage power, plus I don't have to worry about it getting wrapped up in the awning.
That's what I did.Cleaned the area with alcohol and stuck the LED strip to the side of the trailer just under the awning. Couple days later it rained and ... the strip fell off. So now I have to figure out a better way of sticking the strip to the side of the trailer... maybe 3M strips.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
dhdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I have bought the lights but not yet installed them. My plan is to run 12VDC from under the steps at that light over to the bottom of the awning rail support, run it to the outside of the trailer, put a small switch there and then route the wire up the awning support. Put a plug on the end of the support and then wire the light strip so I can plug them in and then lift the awning. I'll have to unplug the lights before rolling up the awning, but at least I won't be threading lights through the awning tube and then pulling them back out.

I'd think 12VDC lights would be much more versatile than 110 lights. And with the low power use of LED's even boondocking they could be used.
Check out some of the newer trailers at this years shows. We noticed 2 trailers with an led strip permanently attached in the recessed track of the awning tube. They ran the wires along the forward edge of the awning. They actually hid the wires in the stitched edge all the way back to the trailer. The wires were then hidden behind the awning posted attached to the wall. As you wind up the awning, the wires are wrapped around the tube. Pretty ingenious!
dhdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #16
Htfiremedic

That's a great idea!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

That is a great idea. It also will eliminate a connector. Thanks for the input, I'm thinking that this way would be much simpler and probably work as well and be much simpler both installing and in use. Appreciate your help.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS