Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
kent

Went to Myrtle Beach State Park. Successful 1st trip!

We just got a new Bullet 298BHS and went to to Myrtle Beach State Park for our first trip. This is the first time I have not camped in a tent and most everything went well. I managed to not hit any cars on the way or any trees at the park The staff at the park was very friendly and even emptied our tanks on the way out

He is a list of newbie mistakes so perhaps no one else will make them:

Ensure you open a faucet to depressurize the hot water tank before draining.
I was draining sanitized water and forgot to open a hot water faucet to release pressure. I started removing the drain plug and BOOM! My pants were soaked The kids though it was really funny that dad was all wet.

Ensure two year olds don't touch the pretty lighted switches on the control panel.

My wife took a morning shower that started out warm then went ice cold! I believe my young nephew turned the water heater switch off because it worked just fine when turned back on.

Ensure when dumping tanks that you are level
This is just a theory, but somehow 1 day of brushing teeth and washing hands with out leaving the water running and 2 quick navy showers filled up a 30 gallon tank. I'm guessing the trailer wasn't level when I dumped all the sanitizer water.

Looking forward to the next trip!

2013 Bullet 298 BHS
2012 Ram Quad Cab 4x4 2500 6.7 Cummins
kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Problem #3 could also be the nephew who likes switches also likes to step on that neat foot thingy on the toilet.. Kids .. don't ya just love em???

As for #1 I think we have all done that ONCE.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
davidjsimons

I'm glad to hear that all went well. I'm new here myself. Have a great camping season this upcoming year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent View Post
Ensure you open a faucet to depressurize the hot water tank before draining.
I was draining sanitized water and forgot to open a hot water faucet to release pressure. I started removing the drain plug and BOOM! My pants were soaked The kids though it was really funny that dad was all wet.
Looking forward to the next trip!
Now that s funny right there.. been there done that.
Watched my buddy winterize his camper Sunday morning as we were leaving MB area. He did not have the 1&1/16' socket but I did. He was standing if front of the anode drain plug unscrewing it and I told him you might want to step to the side as you pull that anode rod out, Why he asked? I told him keep standing there and you will find out. So he stepped to the side, you know how the water starts with a trickle then you press or move the relief valve and it pours out. He was looking at it and said I if I do this will it drain faster, I said yes it will, he started to step in front again. I almost let him but warned him again. He side stepped and pushed/pulled the relief valve and water came straight out about 2 foot, if he had been there he would have been soaked and it was also hot too. So he learned a lesson from me.
I think we all have done something like this as we have camped all these years.
First trip in a long time I haven't cut myself, run into the 5th wheel part of the camper, cracked my head on the bedroom slide, or anything to draw blood. This was a successful trip for me.

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Htfiremedic

I was showing my wife's aunt and uncle how to winterize their TT. I depressurized their water heater, showed them how. I then went outside and removed their anode rod and cap. Water trickled out. I told them step back and hit the air as auntie looked into the wh door. As she got the face full of water, sputtering and coughing, Unck about peed his pants. Then he said," aww that's why you said step back".
Oh my dang it was funny!
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
FlyingBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent View Post
We just got a new Bullet 298BHS and went to to Myrtle Beach State Park for our first trip. This is the first time I have not camped in a tent and most everything went well. I managed to not hit any cars on the way or any trees at the park The staff at the park was very friendly and even emptied our tanks on the way out
How are you liking the Bullet? We just ordered the same one - expecting it in March/April!

My only concern was that the electric panel was in the bunk area - thought that was a little silly. Thinking I'm going to need to put some kind of latch on it so my 2 little ones don't start flipping switches!
FlyingBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Rather than getting into a discussion about the pros and cons of the Bullet TT, can we keep the topics in this section related to Campgrounds and Destinations?

If you have questions or comments about the Bullet, it would be appreciated if you could post them in the Travel Trailer or some other more appropriate section.

Thank you.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
B&T

We love Myrtle Beach State Park, have stayed there many times over the last few years. It's one of the few places in the area with the natural coastline habitat still intact.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T View Post
We love Myrtle Beach State Park, have stayed there many times over the last few years. It's one of the few places in the area with the natural coastline habitat still intact.
Love that east coast of NC/SC/GA, you have Myrtle Beach State Park then Huntington Beach, Edisto, Hunting Island, James Island, Jekyll Island. Such a beautiful coast line I always recommend the coast for travelling campers.

I always tell them to AVOID the larger commercial private campgrounds, yeesh if you can't live without cable TV and full hookups whats the sense of going camping.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
Now that s funny right there.. been there done that.
Watched my buddy winterize his camper Sunday morning as we were leaving MB area. He did not have the 1&1/16' socket but I did. He was standing if front of the anode drain plug unscrewing it and I told him you might want to step to the side as you pull that anode rod out, Why he asked? I told him keep standing there and you will find out. So he stepped to the side, you know how the water starts with a trickle then you press or move the relief valve and it pours out. He was looking at it and said I if I do this will it drain faster, I said yes it will, he started to step in front again. I almost let him but warned him again. He side stepped and pushed/pulled the relief valve and water came straight out about 2 foot, if he had been there he would have been soaked and it was also hot too. So he learned a lesson from me.
I think we all have done something like this as we have camped all these years.
First trip in a long time I haven't cut myself, run into the 5th wheel part of the camper, cracked my head on the bedroom slide, or anything to draw blood. This was a successful trip for me.
I always worried about hitting my head on the corners of the bedroom slide also. I bought one of those swimming noodles and cut two pieces about a foot long. I split them from end to end on one side then slide them over the slide corner. I admit it has saved my head a few times. I just need to remember to remove them before bringing the slides in.
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote