Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2012, 03:34 AM   #1
crash

NASKW Campgrounds

Just wondering if any of you have been to NASKW campground (military campgound),Key West Naval Air Station in Key West before ?Me and the wife have been to more than 50 military campground thru out the years most of them are really nice and cheap as heck.But we havent been to NASKW yet and are planning a trip there next spring. in advance Mike
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Jay D

What do u mean when saying military campgound?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Jay D

The military has a "morale, welfare and recreation" section at most installations. This section provides recreational equipment and facilities for military and their families. Things like gym, swimming pool, golf courses, hobby shops for woodworking, metal working, automobile repair are available at most facilities. Additional things like equipment rental, fishing lakes and camping facilities are available based on the layout of the military installation and resources.

On some installations camping facilities are available. These are generally small campgrounds with up to 20 or 30 sites at the larger ones. Some have actual campgrounds which are used for newly arriving famlies who have a camper. When not being used for that, these campsites are available for travelling military and retirees to use. On some installations, they are call "famcamps" on some they are simply called the campground. It may range from a parking lot next to the golf course with an electric plug available for each site to an actual campground complete with full hookups.

They are "closed" campgrounds available only to military, retirees and their authorized guests. To my knowledge, no famcamps are open to the general public.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Just wondering if any of you have been to NASKW campground (military campgound),Key West Naval Air Station in Key West before ?Me and the wife have been to more than 50 military campground thru out the years most of them are really nice and cheap as heck.But we havent been to NASKW yet and are planning a trip there next spring. in advance Mike
Crash,

Here is the website for NASKW campground:

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/mi...igsbee-rv-park

If you notice about halfway down the first page, it states that reservations are available up to 3 months in advance for active duty, no reservations from others. With that bit of advice, as a traveller without reservations, you are very likely going to be turned away during the peak seasons. We've gone to the keys several times and it's always been full. There are a couple of campgrounds a bit further north in the keys, but they are pricey.

If I were you, I'd make reservations that can be cancelled without penalty at one of the nearby campgrounds, then on arrival, contact Sigsbee RV Park and if they have a site available, cancel your other reservations. I wouldn't advise towing an RV to Key West without reservations somewhere. The distance down the keys is too far and the bridge too narrow to get there and be turned away.

As for the actual campground, it is nice, no shade, hotter than hadees in the summer, nice in the spring/fall and WONDEFUL in the winter. It's small, on the very end of Sigsbee Island out past the boat/RV storage area, kind of private and right on the water. Sigsbee is about 3 miles from the actual NASKW operational facility. The only problem I saw is noise. Bring your ear plugs if you want to get any sleep during flying hours (yeah they do night fly) because you're right in the traffic pattern.

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Jay D

Thank you, I never knew about this.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:12 AM   #6
crash

Thanks jrtjh,yeah we have already been on there site again thanks for all the info,I have heard about there over flow lot and people say that they like it better than the full hook up sites .We do have a 5500 watt generator on our toyhauler so staying in the boone docking lot wouldnt be a problem if it came to that
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 AM   #7
crash

Sorry jay d ,Iam just used to people knowing about the military camp grounds.my bad.......
Old 11-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
Jay D

No problem Crash.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Thanks jrtjh,yeah we have already been on there site again thanks for all the info,I have heard about there over flow lot and people say that they like it better than the full hook up sites .We do have a 5500 watt generator on our toyhauler so staying in the boone docking lot wouldnt be a problem if it came to that
Yes there is an overflow area, it's probably 150 sites or so, and not as crowded as the actual campground. The max stay in the campground is 14 days, so most people who are there for the season rotate through the campground for 2 weeks, then back to the overflow. It's not bad and truthfully, once you get used to it, the overflow is OK. It does become a hassle moving every couple of weeks, so as the season get longer, you'll find more people opt not to go to the campground so they stay in overflow which makes it more like a 2 week rotation for those who do want the full hookups occasionally. Actually with bigger sites and some closer to the water, the overflow is pretty nice and it's closer to town and the gate so you can walk more places.

Oh yes, when you get there, make sure you get a vehicle pass at the campground registration desk. Without it, you won't get back on station after 1700.....

Have a blast, I kinda wish we could/would head that way one winter, maybe next year???? this one is already booked, double booked and triple booked with guests coming up for "winter recreation" LOL You know, warm brandy, a fire and snowmobiles/snowshoeing/skiing. It's hell to live in the resort area, everybody becomes your friend <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS