Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
BobnLee

Tire pressures

Hi folks I recently go back from a weekend trip. Started to winterize the trailer and noticed 52 lbs of air in all 4 tires. Thinking this a bit odd i checked the mfg. Power King St 225/75R15 the manufacture says psi is 65 but can be lower depending on the load. Anyone know what pressure I should be keeping them at. It is a Cougar 26SAB xlite.

Moderator's Note: This post has been moved from its original section to this new category about tires.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
mapleman3

Cooler temps? Mine are sitting cold at 40 and were all near 50 in the hot months
mapleman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Htfiremedic

I set mine higher if I load heavy. I set about 10 lower if unloaded.
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htfiremedic View Post
I set mine higher if I load heavy. I set about 10 lower if unloaded.
The correct pressure is found on the trailer's certification label. Exceptions will be found in the owner's manual.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Unless you have weighed each axle position ..... play it safe and fill to max cold inflation marked on tire side-wall until you know the actual weight on each axle. Only then can you adjust pressure accordingly. (If needed) JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:42 AM   #6
chris199

I always fill my tires to 65 (max rating) for trips. Once it got cold I did get a large drop in pressure. Use a TPM to watch pressure and temp while towing....will alarm if mins or max exceeded. So far...so good.

I thought I read here somewhere that lowering the pressure in tires reduces towing integrity and risks tire issues and safety. Obviously..over inflating is a problem.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
Bigsky3625

I inflate to max. I check pressure before we leave home and before we head back home. I carry a 150 psi compressor all the time in the generator compartment. I also use the TST 507 tpms to keep an eye on pressure and temperature.
One Wife

Bigsky3625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
chuck&gail

Since I actually weigh my TT, in fact I weigh each wheel, I am able to use the advice of the people who designed and built the tires. They publish weight versus pressuire recommendations for tires. I add 5 psi for luck. Note tires on any one axle get the same pressure, that of the highest.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck&gail View Post
Since I actually weigh my TT, in fact I weigh each wheel, I am able to use the advice of the people who designed and built the tires. They publish weight versus pressuire recommendations for tires. I add 5 psi for luck. Note tires on any one axle get the same pressure, that of the highest.
If you are using ST tires they are all designed to be operated at full sidewall pressures. If you are using LT tires they should be operated at the pressures required to meet the load capacity of the OE tires depicted on the trailer’s certification label, and nothing less.

It is the responsibility of the vehicle manufacturer to set it’s recommended (correct) tire pressure (s). They are found on the vehicle’s certification label. Deviations will be found in the vehicle’s owner’s manual.

If you already know those safety rules you have knowingly chosen to disregard the entire tire industries safety standards and published your own.

Sorry for the strong wording. Maybe your system works for you with meticulous management and the slim load capacity reserves your lucky 5 psi gives you.

The entire tire industry uses the vehicle manufacturers recommended tire pressure (s) to determine when a tire in use has entered into the “run flat” condition. That condition starts when a tire is found with 20% less tire pressure than the recommended amount. That’s 52 psi or less from a 65 psi recommendation.

In the reference below you will find a statement that says NEVER use less tire pressure than what is found on the tire placard/certification label.

http://www.trucktires.com/bridgeston.../WeighForm.pdf

CW
Old 10-26-2012, 04:12 AM   #10
Bob Landry

I have read posts on various forums by people who think they have out-engineered the tire manufaturers and like to share exotic formulas to figure tire pressure. According to my tire dealer(YMMV) the best longevity from any tire is going to be had by running at the max recommended pressures. Underinflating will break down the sidewall before anything else and that is where the majority of failures happen. Under inflating = more rubber on the road = drag =equals heat = excessive wear. Makes sense to me, but I'm not an automotive engineer. I've always gotten more that the expected life from tires simply by running them at max recommended pressure.

That said, I check tires on both truck and trailer before every trip and inflate to max pressure(cold). it works for me so far.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:45 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree wtih Bob and CW. Any RV "bouncing down the road" (Most do not have shock absorbers) is going to have tires that "load and unload" with every bounce. Given a moderately loaded RV at a safely loaded weight, once the dynamics of bouncing start to occur at highway speeds, every one of our RV's is going to have loaded/overloaded/underloaded tire status with every revolution of the wheel. Keeping ST tires inflated to maximum recommended inflation pressure will reduce rolling resistance, which reduces heat buildup and will help keep the tires "round" while reducing sidewall flex.

Balancing the tires, keeping them inflated to max pressure, avoiding any side stresses that can be prevented, keeping them clean and protected with a proper tire dressing and storing with covers to prevent UV degredation will enhance tire life, but the most important (I think) is proper inflation.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
SAABDOCTOR

JRTJH well said
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
chuck&gail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
If you are using ST tires they are all designed to be operated at full sidewall pressures. If you are using LT tires they should be operated at the pressures required to meet the load capacity of the OE tires depicted on the trailer’s certification label, and nothing less.

It is the responsibility of the vehicle manufacturer to set it’s recommended (correct) tire pressure (s). They are found on the vehicle’s certification label. Deviations will be found in the vehicle’s owner’s manual.

If you already know those safety rules you have knowingly chosen to disregard the entire tire industries safety standards and published your own.

Sorry for the strong wording. Maybe your system works for you with meticulous management and the slim load capacity reserves your lucky 5 psi gives you.

The entire tire industry uses the vehicle manufacturers recommended tire pressure (s) to determine when a tire in use has entered into the “run flat” condition. That condition starts when a tire is found with 20% less tire pressure than the recommended amount. That’s 52 psi or less from a 65 psi recommendation.

In the reference below you will find a statement that says NEVER use less tire pressure than what is found on the tire placard/certification label.

http://www.trucktires.com/bridgeston.../WeighForm.pdf

CW
Thanks for the warning about Bridgestone ST tires. Frankly I did not even know they made them, but if I ever buy some I'll do as they say.

HOWEVER,

I have so far put over 200,000 miles on various non-Chinese ST tires with only a few repairable nail punctures occuring. I use the tables as I said above.

Note Maxxis, one of the most highly recommended 15" tires on this web site, DOES publish weight versus pressure tables for THEIR tires.

Your choice, I'm going to keep doing what has worked for me for more years than I can recall.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
CWtheMan

[QUOTE=chuck&gail;54440]

Note Maxxis, one of the most highly recommended 15" tires on this web site, DOES publish weight versus pressure tables for THEIR tires.
[QUOTE]

Maxxis provides their load inflation table/chart for proper tire selection. According to their area rep., use by individual trailer owners should be approved by the vehicle manufacturer. That's the answer I got from Mr. Shawn Brennan, their east coast area rep.. He can be reached at 678-407-6772. He is a very knowledgeable and interesting fellow to talk with.

I don't dispute your success with the method you use. It's just not in compliance with industry standards. For most it leads to under inflation, the RV trailer tires number one enemy and destroyer.

CW
Old 10-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
W.E.BGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris199 View Post
I always fill my tires to 65 (max rating) for trips. Once it got cold I did get a large drop in pressure. Use a TPM to watch pressure and temp while towing....will alarm if mins or max exceeded. So far...so good.

I thought I read here somewhere that lowering the pressure in tires reduces towing integrity and risks tire issues and safety. Obviously..over inflating is a problem.
Chris...what brand/model of TPMS do you use? Thanks, BGood
W.E.BGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
zippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I have read posts on various forums by people who think they have out-engineered the tire manufaturers and like to share exotic formulas to figure tire pressure. According to my tire dealer(YMMV) the best longevity from any tire is going to be had by running at the max recommended pressures. Underinflating will break down the sidewall before anything else and that is where the majority of failures happen. Under inflating = more rubber on the road = drag =equals heat = excessive wear. Makes sense to me, but I'm not an automotive engineer. I've always gotten more that the expected life from tires simply by running them at max recommended pressure.

That said, I check tires on both truck and trailer before every trip and inflate to max pressure(cold). it works for me so far.
I agree with you. I look on the sidewall of the tire and use the recommended tire psi.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #17
captbob

I have seen my tires drop from 65 to 52 in two months of sitting, so I check them anytime I'm off on a long treck.
captbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #18
smiller

Just FWIW my unit (a 325SRX) at full gross weight comes in at 20% or so under the max ratings of the stock 235/80-16 tires yet Keystone still recommends that they be run at full pressure (80 psi.) I assume that there's a reason.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #19
captbob

Here is an interesting document from Goodyear on their Marathon tires. This document is from 2006. Does anyone know if this has changed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf marathon_gen_info_032806.pdf (11.6 KB, 222 views)
captbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #20
Ken / Claudia

3 years ago I sat thru a RV tire class at Artic Fox even thru I had a truck camper. A tire rep. gave me a Fed. spec. sheet that had the requirements of RV tires and spoke about RV tires for several hours. He said Always inflate RV tires to max psi for the tire. I questioned him about passager vehicles tires psi, being placed to max. always, he said that is a apples to oranges. Due to the differences in tires and use the RV tires should not be run at lower or higher psi than stated max. psi on tire.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote