Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
monica4patience

Making wooden steps?

We just purchased our Outback 310BHS a few weeks ago. Since we'll be at our campsite for the summer next year, we'd like to make some wooden steps with a handrail. this will make it much easier for my mother (86yo) to get into and out of the trailer. Any suggestions on how to go about this?
monica4patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
TAZ23

We also bought a new Outback this year (320BH) and keep it on a seasonal sight. I built a platform and steps for ours so I can tell you how I did it but keep in mind it can be done several different ways.
First I would sugest that you step out of the trailer onto a platform or deck if you want to call it that. (4 foot by 4 foot at least) .The reason for this is when you open the door you will want to be able to step right in. If the steps go right up to the trailer you would need to go up and open the door and then step back down to swing the door out and then go back in.
The stair stringers can be found at most any lumber yard and home improvement stores. This makes it much easier as they are pre-cut and easy to use. You will need to measure the distance from the trailer floor to the ground to know how many steps you will need.
I used 2x6's for the frame and 5/4 deck boards for the stairs and deck. I also used 4x4's for the corner posts
If you want them to be temporary and take them apart in the fall then put them together using lag bolts which can be reused many times.
Also do not sink the posts into the ground. I have mine on 2x6's layed flat.
to fasten the deck boards use deck screws not nails. Always use treated wood so it will not rot. The whole set up can be put up and taken down in a half an hour, and it is much easier than using those skinny fold out trailer steps.
I will take some pictures of my set up this weekend, but we wont be back until wednesday night
shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
monica4patience

Thanks for the info. Guess I should have done some measurements before we left! We're at home until the weekend.

I like the idea of a platform. I'm 5'4" and have to stand on the 2nd step to reach the door handle, then step back down to open the door. My mom at age 86 has an even more difficult time.

Lots of people have wooden steps, in fact the owners were looking around the CG for an extra set. I've never seen one with a deck at the top. It makes sense, but I can't picture it.
monica4patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:28 AM   #4
TAZ23

I forgot to mention that the platform is one step down from the trailer floor,that way when you have the outside light on, the step light will shine onto the deck surface. It also makes for one less step getting up to the door.
The door hinges are on the right so set the platform up so that the right edge is about 6"to the right of the door hinges, that way you can stand on the platform and open the door and step right in.
I bought a roll of outdoor carpeting and covered the platform and steps with it and now the wood does not get slipperry when wet.
I built this in my driveway before taking the trailer to the campground this spring,so I know it can be moved if needed.
If we decide to add a full deck next year it can be built right next to the steps at a lower level and then we will still have easy access to the outside stove for cooking, without having to bend over to use it.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
CUFFS054

Taz, I would like to see the pictures, please.
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote