Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Zeb

Passport 2910BH - Finally made the move!

We will be picking up our new 2012 Passport 2910BH in 17 days...but who's counting?!? The whole family is super excited and can't wait to bring "Luna Racoona" home. That's what the kids have nick named the TT and have even made a song up to the Lion King's "A Kuna Matata"...yes, we have WAY too much time on our hands!

We decided to go with Pete's RV in S. Burlington, VT. Great prices, very accomodating and only a 2 hour drive. Will have to do the Canadian customs and registration process but still well worth the time and cost, even if I have to do 2 inspections; one at a Canadian Tire for the Canadian Vehicle Registrar (validate serial number and make sure lights work) and one at the CAA (Canadian afiliate of the AAA) and this one in order to get my licence plate (can you say cash grab??? )

We did get an Equalizer WDH, installed a blank tank flush (not included from factory) and added a 2nd 12V battery, even though I've read here 2 x 6V is the way to go...but that will have to wait as a futur mod.

Anyways I just wanted to thank all of you, especially the Senior members, for the great information you provide. I've learned so much since joining. This forum answered a lot of questions I had and gave me much needed confidence to not only make the move but make sure I covered all my basis.

That said I am sure I will have plenty of new questions real soon!

I'll keep you posted as to how the pick-up went and to our maiden voyage some time early May.

Cheers from Montreal!
Poker (Lab/Golden mix)
TT Passport 2910BH
TV 2005 Dodge Durango V8 5.7 Hemi
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Congratulations on your new RV! Just wondering why you have to take it to CAA in order to get your licence plate? I purchased my truck in the US and never had to take it there to get it licenced. Perhaps the requirements are different in Quebec than in BC.
Doesn't really matter --- just enjoy and be safe.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Zeb

Quebec rules!

As a good Canadian, you should know that Quebec likes to do everything differently and usually more complicated ;-) I once bought a used car in Ontario and had to do the same to get it plated in Quebec.

Thanks for the good wishes!
Poker (Lab/Golden mix)
TT Passport 2910BH
Old 04-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Should have figured that out!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:32 AM   #5
muddynoll

congratulations.We love our 2910 and I'm sure you will too.
2004 F350,CCLB SRW 6.0Powerstroke, 4.30 Gears, Curt 1,500 Lb. Hitch with sway control *2017 Fuzion Impact 312, Sailun S637 Tires 2011 Passport 2910 BH, 2006 Jayco 232, 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L, ReeseDualCam, Prodigy P3
muddynoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
E597283

we have the 2910bh and have nothing but good things to say about it

2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH Ltd. Edition

2007 Yukon XL Denali, 6.2 liter
E597283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
blackty

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law brought theirs out on the maiden voyage this past weekend. They are very happy with it...Jim
Old 04-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
hdblues

We have a 2010 passport 285RL and love it . Have fun
hdblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #9
Zeb

Picked 'er up!

Got the trailor on Friday. The PDI was ok but I didn't get into as much detail as I should have. The unit was outside and it happened to be really cold and snowy so we were all anxious to get it over with!

I was a little concerned about my TV being able to handle all that trailor. I'm ok with the tow capacity and tongue weight but not by a lot. The 2 hour drive home though the Vermont mountains with pretty gusty / windy conditions proved that I made a good choice getting the Equalizer WDH. Although I definitly felt the wind and there was tugging, the two units moved as one and there was absolutly no fish tailing. I had to be cautious but no where close to being a white knuckler.

When I got home, I was sad to discover the decorative border around the face of the slide-out was full of pretruding nail marks. Looks like that piece was nailed from the inside by nails slightly too big which broke the surface finish. Now I know that i didn't notice this during the PDI because of the lighting. Besides that everything else was A-OK and we will be taking our maiden voyage in a couple of weeks.

Cheers
Poker (Lab/Golden mix)
TT Passport 2910BH
Old 05-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #10
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
When I got home, I was sad to discover the decorative border around the face of the slide-out was full of pretruding nail marks. Looks like that piece was nailed from the inside by nails slightly too big which broke the surface finish. Now I know that i didn't notice this during the PDI because of the lighting. Besides that everything else was A-OK and we will be taking our maiden voyage in a couple of weeks.

Cheers
OUCH!!! Sorry to hear about this. What's the dealer telling you about this problem? Pictures are nice too.
have fun,
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
EcoboostKev

Quote:
Got the trailor on Friday. The PDI was ok but I didn't get into as much detail as I should have. The unit was outside and it happened to be really cold and snowy so we were all anxious to get it over with!

I was a little concerned about my TV being able to handle all that trailor. I'm ok with the tow capacity and tongue weight but not by a lot. The 2 hour drive home though the Vermont mountains with pretty gusty / windy conditions proved that I made a good choice getting the Equalizer WDH. Although I definitly felt the wind and there was tugging, the two units moved as one and there was absolutly no fish tailing. I had to be cautious but no where close to being a white knuckler.

Cheers
We also bought our new Outback from Pete's! Great people to deal with and the best pricing i could find! I am sure Pete's will take care of the problem you discovered. Just stinks that you have to travel 2 hrs back there to have it fixed. We picked ours up the end of March and we had a 5hr drive home to Connecticut and experienced the same conditions as you. We had 20mph winds with 45+mph gusts that pushed us around a bit but we managed fine. That is except for the kids having to stop and pee every hour! I did have to re-adjust the Equal-i-zer hitch setup when i got home and it made a world of difference.I would take the time and double check your setup making sure everything is perfect. The dealer throws those on really quick and doesn't take the time to make it the best it could be. The instruction manual will tell you step by step how to set it up correctly. Our Maiden Voyage is in 3 weeks and cant wait!
Best of luck with your new camper, Kevin
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
Zeb

Here are some pics of the issue. Nothing big but still mad I missed it during the PDI. So far Pete's is stepping up to the plate but we need to figure out the logistics for the repair. I did find some other nail marks on wood paneling but those I will take care of myself with colored wood filler. I am just happy that issues are only cosmetic.

The kids and I slept in the TT last Friday to "test her out" and surprisingly, I found the matress quite comfortable! Kids were also very happy with the set-up. Furnace worked great and kept us nice and warm. The following morning, we found that the bunk bed which is over the hot water tank was quite warm. We discovered that someone accidently turned the Hot Water gas switch on. I am concerned because there was no water in the tank. Do you think this could have caused damage to the hot water heater? Happy it was not the electric switch but still concerned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10928.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1310   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10931.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1311   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10953.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1312  
Poker (Lab/Golden mix)
TT Passport 2910BH
Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

If there was no water in your HW tank when the gas switch was accidentally flipped to "ON", your tank may be damaged. You might try filling the tank and then heating it up again by propane and see if it functions properly. Try doing the same thing but using electricity.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #14
Zeb

I was afraid someone was going to say that!! I know what I'll be doing tonight.
Poker (Lab/Golden mix)
TT Passport 2910BH
Old 05-08-2012, 05:06 AM   #15
Zeb

Phew!!!

Tested out the water heater...both propane and electric work fine! I took te time to also test the water pump and al the plumbing and everything is great. I guess I lucked out with the WH but learned an important lesson. Made sure the whole family (especially the kids!) understood the switches on the control panel and what they should not touch.

Pete's RV also came through for me. They got approval from Keystone for the repair and we booked June 8th to do the work. I was impressed with the speed they took care of this issue. They will replace the pieces and glue them on rather than nail. This means I need to go back to Burlington, Vermont but we will make an outing of it and camp for the week-end around Lake Champlain.
Poker (Lab/Golden mix)
TT Passport 2910BH
Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

Well, sounds like everything is working out for you! Glad to hear that your HW heater is still functioning and it is important that everyone understands which switches are "out-of-bounds". And kudos to Pete's RV !!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #17
Zeb

lucked out or...

I know I probably should just thank my lucky stars but this have been bothering me...how come I didn't suffer any damage to the HW heater when it was accidently turned on without any water in it??? I think I figured it out. If dealer tested all systems before my pick-up, then they should have tested the HW heater...and hense....DA DAAAAAAA....there was some water IN the HW heater when the switch was accidently turned on.......that or I have a huge horse shoe up you know where!

Looking forward to our maiden trip next week-end!
Poker (Lab/Golden mix)
TT Passport 2910BH
Old 05-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #18
Zeb

Maiden voyage

We finally had our maiden voyage and went to a beautiful park in Ontario called Long Sault (about 15 min from Cornwall and part of the Parks of the St-Lawrence network). It took about 1h30 to get there and again I was very happy with the tow.

Our site was waterfront with no service, which was planned as I wanted to test out everything on battery power. At the end of 3 days battery monitor showed 3/4 full which was awesome as I put no restrictions on the kids as far any usage. The 30 gal fresh water tank is small and I hade to fill it up twice using 2 x 6 gallon portable containers. Was having some difficulty with filling the tank (water kept gurgling up as if the tank was full when it wasn't) but I discovered it was simply because of the funnel I was using, which didn't allow any air into the pipe causing a vacuum.

Actually very impressed with the fridge and freezer. We put most of our meats in the freezer thinking it would never be able to freeze in that short time but found everything (hambergers, hotdogs, chicken) all froze quite quickly.

....first experince emptying the black tank went very well.....PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!

will post pictures real soon!
Poker (Lab/Golden mix)
TT Passport 2910BH
Old 05-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #19
EcoboostKev

Glad to here everything worked out for you! We are FINALLY heading out on our maiden voyage this weekend. Can not wait!!
https://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...11_748-1-1.jpg
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #20
E597283

Quote:
We finally had our maiden voyage and went to a beautiful park in Ontario called Long Sault (about 15 min from Cornwall and part of the Parks of the St-Lawrence network). It took about 1h30 to get there and again I was very happy with the tow.

Our site was waterfront with no service, which was planned as I wanted to test out everything on battery power. At the end of 3 days battery monitor showed 3/4 full which was awesome as I put no restrictions on the kids as far any usage. The 30 gal fresh water tank is small and I hade to fill it up twice using 2 x 6 gallon portable containers. Was having some difficulty with filling the tank (water kept gurgling up as if the tank was full when it wasn't) but I discovered it was simply because of the funnel I was using, which didn't allow any air into the pipe causing a vacuum.

Actually very impressed with the fridge and freezer. We put most of our meats in the freezer thinking it would never be able to freeze in that short time but found everything (hambergers, hotdogs, chicken) all froze quite quickly.

....first experince emptying the black tank went very well.....PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!

will post pictures real soon!
Great to hear...we did our first run of the season this past weekend as well.

2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH Ltd. Edition

2007 Yukon XL Denali, 6.2 liter
E597283 is offline   Reply With Quote