Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2023, 07:59 AM   #1
johnmccallister

Seeking Advice (newbie)

Hello all!

I am wanting to start gearing up for this summer, and part of that is acquiring a new to me truck. I am so overloaded with information that I don't believe I know what to believe and what not to believe. HAHA. So, forgive me for my ignorance.

The truck my family is looking to acquire is a:
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/...HB13T89S767239

Build sheet is linked.

I know the inside sticker indicated 6800 (I do not have a picture of it). I know the truck has the tow package, and looking at the build sheet; comes with HD cooling / springs etc. Also according to the build sheet it has 3.21 gears (which Ive read mixed reviews on)

I have read in different posts that 2009 RAM's measurements changed, and use 2010 for tow ratings... I have seen numerous charts that list different rates based off the tow package / HD cooling etc...
https://letstowthat.com/wp-content/u...9-1024x525.png

Really just seeking some advice on what I should/shouldn't expect.

We have a 2021 Hideout 272BH (I have 7 kids needed the room). My last TV bit the dust. We will travel with an additional vehicle, so I can save some payload by tossing all my kids in another car. HAHA (poor wife)

I have a E4 Equalizer hitch.

Truck is still stock from the store (outside of weather tech floor mats).

Called the camper company, and they don't give a lot of feedback outside of; oh yeah you should be fine. =)
johnmccallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 08:21 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Here's the long and short of it;'

Don't know where you are looking that gives you conflicting information...if they are knowledgeable about towing. You fail to give the payload information listed on the placard inside the driver door. That is the number you want to pay attention to then -

The gvwr of your trailer is 7780 lbs. To calculate your tongue weight use 13% of your gvwr to get an approximation = approx. 1012 lbs. To that add the weight of all people, pets, tools, bbqs, hitch etc. In your case figure 750lbs. maybe more; 7 kids require a LOT of stuff. That comes to 1762 lbs. max you can put in/on the truck. What's that payload sticker say? 1500? Maybe less? The real kicker is having a 3.21 axle ratio. Extremely poor choice for towing. They are meant to get mileage and that's it. The only reason I could ever figure they put them in a truck is to help them meet EPA standards as they can't get untracked with a load (btdt) - I can't imagine with that big of a trailer and all the stuff for that many kids. I had the same engine with a 3.55 towing a little heavier trailer and it wasn't optimal to say the least....and I had the 6 speed tranny which is also not optimal. This one has the 545 5 speed which means combined with that 3.21 you will have countless opportunites to spin that hemi up to redline trying to make it "go".

To summarize, look at that payload placard and get back. IMO the truck would be fine to pick up a few sheets of plywood or sheetrock but pulling a big trailer? That's not what it was made for. You want at least a 3.55 rear ration, but having had one I can tell you with your situation the only thing I'd consider is a 3.92.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 08:21 AM   #3
travelin texans

I haven't looked at the specs for that TT, but with 7 kids & all their gear you need way more tow vehicle than any 1/2 ton.
Honestly I wouldn't look at any truck less than a 1 ton SRW (single rear wheels) crew cab & if they still make such an animal with a bench front seat & you'll still need to take 2 vehicles.
With all the kids I'm sure the bed of truck will be loaded full of bicycles & whatever other "must have" for all them along with camping necessities, you need all the truck you can to haul the rv & everything else & again that ain't a 1/2 ton of any make ,model or brand.
Whoever wherever that told you that "you should fine" just wants you to buy their truck, if you buy that truck or any one even close to it you WILL NOT be fine. Personally I'd first of all never go to that place again looking for a truck & do much more research on what you need. You've ready gotten good advice here & will be getting more, so heed it, GET MORE TRUCK!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 08:31 AM   #4
notanlines

What they^^^^said. Not a chance you’ll be happy with 3:21 gears! And you’ll be downright unhappy with the payload on that door sticker.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 08:44 AM   #5
johnmccallister

Thanks for the feedback. I will work on getting a picture of the inside sticker. We travel light... Disconnected from the world. None of my kids have yet to play a video game (outside of their friends houses) and we don't have tv's etc... Bikes would really be the only addition (and we haven't traveled with those yet). That said; you have answered my fears. I may look to see what it costs to swap out the gears. I read in another post its easier to find a wrecked 2009 and pull the whole thing; versus trying to find a reputable person to swap gears.
Old 01-04-2023, 08:46 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Seven kids means NINE people... That's either 3 or 4 more than the seating capacity of the truck (depending on whether it has a front bench or front bucket seats. You're going to be towing the trailer with a second vehicle following if you intend for everyone to have a seat belt.

Here's some things to consider:

The truck is a 2009. It's already 11 years old. There's no mention of mileage or maintenance records.

The only mention of a tow package is "with 4 pin connector" so I'd suspect the truck isn't "OEM equipped" for heavy towing. That coupled with being 11 years old ???

It's equipped with a "full size TEMPORARY spare tire". That's definitely NOT what you want on the ground with your family in the truck and any heavy trailer hitched to the receiver.

That 5.7L "hemi" coupled to a 3.21 axle isn't going to be "happy" with a 7500 pound trailer in tow.

Now, here's the "kicker" at least for me: The RAM builder site DOES NOT list any crewcab 5.7l "hemi" 4x2 truck with 20" tires and a 3.21 rear axle ratio. http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2009/docs/dr/mlup1500.pdf

So, I'd be very reluctant to take that "dealer's vehicle features" list as reliable....

Bottom line, at least for me, that 11 year old truck is, at best, a marginal tow vehicle for a family as large as yours (even with a second vehicle) while towing a 7500 pound trailer.

I'd keep looking, and I'd urge you to look at 2500/3500 series trucks. As your family grows, you'll need all the cargo capacity you can find, beg or steal to stay under the "dad, can I bring...." requests that will only get heavier as the kids get older.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:06 AM   #7
notanlines

And, in reality, it is 14 years old. Things only have gotten worse!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:20 AM   #8
johnmccallister

We already take 2 vehicles everywhere we go -- so fully prepared to follow with another vehicle.

Truck has been garage kept (all maintenance at Dodge dealership) its my father-in-laws truck. He's giving us a really good deal on it; which is why its of interest. Not in the market to go out and purchase anything net new today. Currently has 90k miles (highway prominently).

Really want to just get out and enjoy the outdoors this summer; but I also don't want to be a hazard to those around me.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:42 AM   #9
johnmccallister

Attached in the sticker!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	output_image1672857129497.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	42590  
Old 01-04-2023, 10:51 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmccallister View Post
Attached in the sticker!
John, go back and look at the driver door FRAME. There is a yellow/white placard that tells you the payload. The tongue weight of your 31' camper will be a shade over 1000 lbs. It is generally safe to estimate at 13 percent of the gross weight and with 7 kids you will be loading quite a bit of stuff. Add hitch weight and stuff in the truck including you and anyone else in the truck. See if you payload will accommodate the weight you estimate. I would look at a 3/4 or 1 ton as a heavy duty truck will have the brakes and gearing to haul that bumper pull. A 31' bumper pull behind a 1/2 ton can be problematic.

Payload placard looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	payload_sticker.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	42591  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:58 AM   #11
johnmccallister

GOT IT! Thanks!

So that shows the payload to never exceed 1414 lbs

Dry Weight6,101 lbs.
Payload Capacity1,679 lbs.
GVWR7,780 lbs.
Hitch Weight780 lbs.

Which basically would leave me with ~200lbs of cargo weight... ha
Old 01-04-2023, 01:22 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
GOT IT! Thanks!

Dry Weight6,101 lbs.
GVWR7,780 lbs.
Hitch Weight780 lbs.

a 3/4 or 1 ton would make a much happier tow vehicle. Good luck. Also PM me if you are not sure what causes all those kids... I finally figured it but not before I had a couple more than planned!

Never mind the kid making info... seems I have forgotten since my youngest is almost 50...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 02:16 PM   #13
travelin texans

Your inlaws may be giving you a great deal on THAT truck, but THAT truck will not be suitable for THAT rv.
The comment "we always travel light" is not possible with 7 kids, we only had 2 & each had their pile of stuff & usually with a friend that had their pile as well. Anyone that's rv'd any time at all will also say that's how they started "traveling light", but stuff gets loaded that never gets unloaded.
If you want THAT truck get it, then sell your other vehicle & buy one suitable as a tow vehicle, such as a 3/4 ton Suburban.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:04 PM   #14
fjr vfr

Quote:
GOT IT! Thanks!

Dry Weight6,101 lbs.
GVWR7,780 lbs.
Hitch Weight780 lbs.

The hitch weight listed is a dry hitch weight. The real hitch weight as earlier stated will be about 13% of gvwr. That's around 1000 lbs. And don't forget to ad the weight of the weight distribution hitch into the equation. You have nothing left.
One other note as a rule of thumb, ideally one should be about 10% to 15% below capacity when towing. It's not a good idea to calculate right at max capacity. You truly need a 3/4 ton.
fjr vfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 06:23 AM   #15
markcee

Quote:
GOT IT! Thanks!

Dry Weight6,101 lbs.
GVWR7,780 lbs.
Hitch Weight780 lbs.

I may not be interpreting your response correctly, if so, please disregard this post......but I believe you are confusing/associating truck payload with trailer payload and have determined that you have 'approximately 200 lbs of cargo weight....' when the two actually have nothing to do with each other:
  • The truck has its own payload cap, which in your case is 1414 lbs. This was determined by subtracting the weight of the vehicle from its GVWR (which in post 1 you say is 6800 lbs), when the truck rolled off the assembly line. What it's essentially saying is if you add more than 1414 lbs to the truck, your are overloading it by exceeding the truck's GVWR.
  • The trailer also has a payload (or cargo carrying) capacity. This is how much 'stuff' can go into the trailer before you exceed its GVWR. So, add more than 1679 lbs to the trailer and you exceed its GVWR.

To determine if you are overloading the truck with this trailer, do as mentioned previously: figure 13% of the trailer's GVWR as tongue weight, add in the weight of all the people in the truck, another 100 lbs for the hitch and the weight of any other gear/pets etc. that will be in the truck. If this figure exceeds 1414 lbs, you'll be over the truck's payload capacity, and as a result will be exceeding its GVWR. The trailer's payload capacity does not factor in to this calculation
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:43 PM   #16
Blueswede

We had a similar Hideout for 7 years. There is no way I would have towed that with a 1/2 ton truck. You are always better served by having more truck than you think you need. I'd seriously rethink that truck. Just because you're getting a "good deal" from a relative doesn't mean that it's a good deal for your intentions. Just my .02.....
Old 01-12-2023, 03:43 PM   #17
cougar23

Does that truck have rear leaf springs or coil springs. Coil springs can make towing difficult even with a light trailer.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:42 PM   #18
Bob1970

All you wabted to know but ...

https://youtu.be/qwFLOBrADBs
Bob1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:54 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar23 View Post
Does that truck have rear leaf springs or coil springs. Coil springs can make towing difficult even with a light trailer.
I would disagree. I don't know what a "light" trailer means but I towed the same 10k gvwr TT with both a coil spring HD truck (2500) and a leaf spring HD truck (3500) and from a spring perspective there wasn't any appreciable difference. How does a leaf spring make towing a trailer "difficult"?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 05:18 PM   #20
mjsibe

Look at Chevy or Gmc express 3500 passenger vans.
Plenty of seats & payload.
My 2014 Express has 3342 payload,yellow sticker.
mjsibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags