Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2022, 12:10 PM   #81
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
The following excerpt will explain, in part, why tire engineers build-in safeguards that protect tires from extremes.

Sticking to the proper procedures for servicing your tires is the best method for the tire's long life.

"Running tires are in thermal equilibrium between the generation of internal heat due to the viscoelasticity of the rubber material and the effects of their thermal environment. Since the viscoelasticity shows temperature dependency, there is a strong correlation between this thermal equilibrium and the rolling resistance. However, there are only few methods which can be used for estimating the amount of rolling resistance of an actual running vehicle using this correlation. In this paper, we would like to estimate the temperature distribution in the running tire by means of the quasi-static model of the finite element method (FEM) in consideration of the thermal environment of real road driving and introduce an approach toward estimating the rolling resistance of an actual running vehicle based on the correlation between the temperature distribution in the tire and the rolling resistance."
Yep! That explains it!
Now it's clear as mud!!!
Maybe they could say it quasi English, my lawyer is currently unavailable to translate!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:02 PM   #82
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Yep! That explains it!
Now it's clear as mud!!!
Maybe they could say it quasi English, my lawyer is currently unavailable to translate!
Maybe this example:

Blow a balloon up, half full and tie the end so it won't deflate. Squeeze the balloon until your fingers touch. If it doesn't blow up (explode) on you, that's an example of a "rubber air reservoir that can sustain operating pressure with adequate reserve capacity to prevent damage to the structure"....

If it does blow up (explode) put it in the "china bomb" pile and blow up another "test balloon".....

Tires are "sort of the same technology"... They're built to sustain operating pressure with the anticipated operational increases without structural damage. In other words, in the ST 225 75R15 LRE tire, designed to operate with a maximum COLD pressure of 80 PSI carrying a load of 2830 pounds while traveling on a highway surface ranging from -25F to 115F and to accommodate the pressure increases anticipated to occur. Then, the "tire engineers" factor in the potential for an elevation change from sea level to XXX feet above sea level under those same conditions......

Simply put, that's why airplanes can fly from Miami, FL to Leadville, CO without stopping in Dallas, Denver and Longmont to air down the tires on the trip......

In reality, tire designers are "smart enough to know what happens to a tire when it "goes uphill on a hot day" and build them to accommodate the "known physics expansion criteria" on the trip.... That is, "real tire designers" know.... Then we have those that work in Sehadongue, China that just walked in off the street with a graphic arts degree and were hired to make "pretty sidewalls that look good with the new swoops on American travel trailers"..... ie: china bombs YMMV

ADDED: This was posted more in jest as a "I can't believe we're still talking about a misguided belief that tire engineers haven't recognized that tires get hot and pressure goes up when they do...... Maybe we should send them a text so they're aware of our "new found science" ????? ROFL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:23 PM   #83
flybouy
Site Team

"“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****.”

― W.C. Fields
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:33 PM   #84
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clair25964 View Post
I’ve had my share of problems as well with tires but last year on my way from southern Delaware to the Pocono Mountains in PA I noticed one of my Trailer King tires seemed to be getting hotter as I went, ( they had only several hundred miles on them). I have a 37’ fifth wheel that weighs 13,200 lbs loaded, I had it weighed, so it’s a fairly heavy camper. I ran the tires at 70psi and I check them every time I stop. We’ll this one tire seemed to be getting hotter a hotter as I traveled, on the last stop (before I put the spare on) I noticed it wasn’t holding a flat tread but was ballooning and on closer inspection saw a few steel belts sticking out of the sidewall. We’ll I got to the campground on the spare then took all four wheels and tires (two at a time) down to Jack Williams tire in Scranton PA. We went through a lot of tires he could get me and I settled on these.

Transeagle ST Radial All Steel Heavy Duty Premium Trailer Radial Tire-ST235/85R16 235/85/16 235/85-16 133/128L Load Range H LRH 16-Ply BSW Black Side Wall

They’re Trans Eagle 16 ply H rated and run at 115 lbs, though I run them at 105. Just make sure your wheels are capable of running at that pressure. So far I like them, I’ve got maybe a thousand miles on them.
Dang, LRH rated for 4540 with about 11k weight on wheels. I thought I was going overkill with my LRGs rated for 4400 lbs on a slightly heavier trailer. I’d say you should be fine running them at 105, I run mine at 95.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:53 PM   #85
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Curious how a trailer tire could have a mileage warranty.... there doesn't seem to be an odometer on a camper and if someone changed tow vehicles (very likely in a 6 year period of warranty) how would the tow vehicle's mileage play into it and I am sure not all miles on a tow vehicle are pulling that trailer with the Sailun tires... Just curious.
We are gonna have to change your handle from wired george to curious george

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 04:28 AM   #86
rawilfong

I see many of the Hispec blow outs are E rated. My new 5er that I go to pickup on saturday has the Hispec G rated. Are these having the same random blow outs as the E rated?
Old 08-30-2022, 04:36 AM   #87
4Buck

Most of them I have seen are the G rated tires.
4Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 04:40 AM   #88
wiredgeorge

The blow outs are not restricted to one load range; do some search and you will find that the HiSpec brand is problematic regardless. I would have neither HiSpec or Trailer King on any trailer I owned due to these brand's propensity for failure and the damage to the trailer that these blow outs cause.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 04:44 AM   #89
NJ High Country

My g rated hispec failed. Always at the worst time. I’m ordering new tires soon. Anyone ever order from Walmart or simple tire?
NJ High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 04:57 AM   #90
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ High Country View Post
My g rated hispec failed. Always at the worst time. I’m ordering new tires soon. Anyone ever order from Walmart or simple tire?
I buy all my camper, truck and car tires from Walmart. The truck/car tires they install and I pick up the camper tires and have them installed by a tire shop. Walmart prices have been the best for me. Don't know about Simple Tire. Discount Tire will often price match but not sure if they can install at every store. I would call Discount Tire and ask them for the price match before going there if they do install and give them the source; they will look the price up on the internet. Their own online website has better prices than the store price and they will give you the online price if asked.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:12 AM   #91
RickV

I replaced mine including the spare after a blow out with Saliun S637s. I had used the Saliuns on the old 5ver and never had the first problem. I got them at Mavis Tire they had a great price and the tire dates were only a couple of months old.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 06:43 AM   #92
NJ High Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I replaced mine including the spare after a blow out with Saliun S637s. I had used the Saliuns on the old 5ver and never had the first problem. I got them at Mavis Tire they had a great price and the tire dates were only a couple of months old.
I went on their website and called the local mavis shop. It doesn’t sound like they carry the 637’s in g rated. Do you have a link?
Old 08-30-2022, 06:49 AM   #93
flybouy
Site Team

Wasn't there several posts in the past with Hi-Spec wheels failing as well? Maybe I'm confusing it but it seemes to me there were several posts of issues with the spokes cracking around the outer rim IIRC.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 07:29 AM   #94
CWtheMan

Be careful when researching Hi-Spec wheels/tires. Two of the addresses I visited had viruses in them.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 08:00 AM   #95
RickV

Quote:
I went on their website and called the local mavis shop. It doesn’t sound like they carry the 637’s in g rated. Do you have a link?
I got mine that are ST 235/80 16 Gs in Gainesville Florida. That was back in April. I just did a search of the Gainesville Store and they have em. That's a little far from NJ 😄. Maybe contact their headquarters and they can hook you up with a nearby dealer
https://www.mavis.com/productcart/pc/_shopbysize.asp
Old 08-30-2022, 08:33 AM   #96
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Be careful when researching Hi-Spec wheels/tires. Two of the addresses I visited had viruses in them.
That makes sense!
Crappy China Bomb tires & a contaminated website!
Yet Keystone keeps putting on heavy rvs?????
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 02:47 PM   #97
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Looking at the Mavis website it appears they must have certain brands they sell in certain areas. I can pull Sailuns where I live and in FL but in NJ the stores I pulled (2) did not list them. They did however list Carlisle and the Hercules 901. I've read of several folks complimenting the Hercules and Carlisle makes the CSL 16. I saw Carlisles but did not see the CSL 16 so they may not have that one either.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 03:28 PM   #98
wiredgeorge

I think Walmart sells Sailun tires.
Old 08-30-2022, 04:19 PM   #99
NJ High Country

Thanks all. I pulled the trigger on the sailuns from Walmart. Fingers crossed!
Old 08-31-2022, 02:19 AM   #100
RickV

Quote:
Thanks all. I pulled the trigger on the sailuns from Walmart. Fingers crossed!
Cool, when you get your tires just make sure that you check the date codes. I doubt you will have an issue getting the recalled ones but, just to play safe check em.

"The U.S. Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has announced that Sailun Tire Americas, Inc. is recalling certain Sailun, RoadX, Blacklion, Blackhawk, and Ironhead brand tires, sizes ST235/80R16 and ST235/85R16 with DOT codes 2020 through 4120."

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually

Tags
tires