Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
Glenn

Hello from Alabama

Hello from Alabama I am a new member to the forum and have lots of questions about RV camping. Let me start by saying I have been looking at some RV's and one that I'm going to look at is a 2005 Keystone Cougar,that has the original tires and the person said that it has spent its entire life outside and has never been under cover so I'll probably look at it today any tips would be welcomed.My wife and I will be towing with a 2006 HD2500 Chevy which I already have .
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum --- feel free to join in the discussions and ask questions. In regards to the original '05 tires, I would seriously consider replacing them with a new set - especially if they are imports from China. There were, and still are, concerns about the quality of off-shore tires - especially around the early 2000's. In addition, these tires are also 7+ years old - depending upon the date of manufacture - and any tire of that age may not be safe - regardless of the amount of tread showing. As a rule of thumb, RV tires should be replaced after 5 years - or earlier - even if they look good. If it were my decision, I would be looking at a new set of good tires.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
camper 2010

I would start by looking at it just after one of the hard rains in Alabama. Check every corner of each cabinet, under each window, and the entire ceiling to see if there is any water stains or soft walls. You should also check the roof and all seams and make sure there are no cracks in caulking. With this age, it would be best if you purchase any unit this age that you reseal all the joints.
Best of luck and enjoy whatever camper you purchase.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

HI AND WELCOME SORRY I CAN'T BE OF ANY HELP ON THE CAMPER BUT!!!!!!! THE ORIGINAL TIRES WILL MAKE GOOD SWINGS FOR THE GRAND KIDS AND THATS ABOUT IT. IT IS RECOMENDE THAT TRAILER TIRES BE REPLACED AFTER 5 YEARS NO MATTER HOW GOOD THEY LOOK. HOPE ALL EALSE IS GREAT WITH THE COUGAR AND ENJOY PLUS WELCOME.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
Glenn

Went and checked out the rv I had mentioned and it had some caulking on top of the roof that didnt look to factory didn't look to bad though it seemed to have a lot of ware to have just been camped in, I asked if it had been lived in seller said no, as for the tires seller said that even though the tires were original they would not be a problem I'll probably keep looking.Thanks for the help this is a great site!
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

It doesn't surprise me that the seller would say "though the tires were original they would not be a problem". He is, after all, trying to sell you this RV. I stand by my original comment - IF you are going to buy this RV that has 7+ year old tires, you will have a problem. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Often times a trailer that is set up on a "permanent site" at a campground and used during the spring/summer/fall season is referred to as "not lived in" even though it may be "slept in and cooked in" every weekend during that time frame. Many people refer to that as "camping" not "living in" the trailer. So, as a matter of "terminology" he may be telling you what he believes is the truth.... That trailer may have been "slept in" 100 or more nights every year adding up to over 2 years of "full timing" and still be referred to as "camped in" but not "lived in" Depends on how the current owner wants to explain it, so look at the amount of what looks like wear to carpet, countertops, molding at the doorways, etc. If it looks worn more than you think it should, then make your own determination on how "used" it looks. After all, it's your money that you're spending, use it wisely.

As for the tires, if they're over 5 years old, don't count on them to be serviceable, they probably aren't !!!!!

Good luck in your search, there are lots of GOOD RV's out there, don't settle on something your subconscious is ringing alarm bells over !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
Herap

X2 what Festus said. If you purchase this trailer, get new tires. No question about it. Safety first!
Ray