Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2021, 07:35 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

"flybouy - I did weigh the truck, at a local grainery, I called them first, got permission. I was lazy, I admit, its only 10 minutes away (it was free, as I didn't want an official ticket, I went after hours). Nearest cat scale is 20 minutes away. Anyway, with what I normally carry - hard tonneau cover, floor jack, various hand tools, 3\4 impact, jumper cables, 12volt inflator, seems like I'm missing something, at that time it had 3\4 tank of fuel (20 gallon tank add another 31#'s?) the weight was 4870#'s. Lets add in that 31#'s + 4870= 4901. 5815 is what's on the door sticker thus 5815-4901= 914#'s remaining payload correct?"

Any scale will work for the truck weight. That calculation would be correct IF THE TRUCK WAS LOADED THE SAME AS GOING CAMPING. So if you had the DW, kids, hitch and WDH bars, pets, snacks, etc. In the truck when you scaled it. Then the remaining payload would be available for the tongue weight of the trailer.

You can still use that scale to weight the truck and trailer individually, but will require some more work if the scale is one large scale (doesn't have seperate scales like a Cat Scale) and it won't give you the individual truck axle weights. You would have to weight the trailer disconnected from the truck with tongue jack and axles on the scale. Then move the trailer so the tongue jack is off the scale and axles are on it. Subtract this number from the first weight to get the tongue weight.

Using a Cat scale you first weigh the entire rig. That will tell you how the WDH is transferring weight. Then you park the trailer and weight the truck alone with the WDH bars and hitch head in the bed. Then weight the truck omly. The Cat Scale website goes into great detail in how to weight campers. Thirr app makes it easy to pay and get your weights without going inside. The esiest thing to me is to stop at a Cat scale on your next camping trip. That way you'll have it loaded and you will get "real world" numbers without guessing.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:45 AM   #22
curtiscapk

Skunked.... your payload is listed on the yellow and white sticker likely on your door jam. Take a pic and post it. Payload is what the vehicle max carry weight is.

People, gear, gas, and hitch weight (loaded camper weight which gets distributed to the hitch. Your's is probably around 600)
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:56 AM   #23
skunked again

Curtiscapk- thank you.
Travelintexans- I'll keep that in mind. I'm thinking this is an even better reason for the undermount carrier. Let me know if I'm wrong.
skunked again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:24 AM   #24
curtiscapk

google came up with this. Payload of 1450 so minus the est. hitch weight of 600# you have 800 + for all gear and passengers.

1450 lbs.
Used 2018 Nissan Frontier Specs & Features
Dimensions
Height 70.1 in.
Length 205.5 in.
Maximum payload 1450 lbs.
Maximum towing capacity 6640 lbs.
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
Old 07-26-2021, 03:57 PM   #25
Ken / Claudia

I am still amazed the Federal government has made a payload sticker be put on every pickup and SUV and passenger vehicles for about 20 years now. But getting some to go out to their vehicle, open the door and look at it or post a photo is nearly impossible.
No guessing or looking up sales data or google. It's right there on the vehicle.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:28 PM   #26
notanlines

Curtis, that is absolutely the highest. And not his truck. Earlier posts cleared this up.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:10 AM   #27
curtiscapk

I know this guys. I also said get it off his jam. I was trying to give an idea of how close it is.
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
Old 07-27-2021, 05:37 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtiscapk View Post
I know this guys. I also said get it off his jam. I was trying to give an idea of how close it is.
In post #9, the OP has already established his remaining payload:

"5815 is what's on the door sticker thus 5815-4901= 914#'s remaining payload correct?"

His GVWR on HIS door sticker is 5815. When he weighed his truck, the scale weight was 4901. His "actual payload" is 914. Any reference to an "internet chart that says ...." is "boastful advertising" especially when the reality of scale weights are already available to the OP.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:32 PM   #29
skunked again

Thanks all!

Been eyeing up the Nissan Titan XD. The below link is for the new ones, I'd be getting used, and a gasser.
https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/t...g-payload.html
Thoughts on these vehicles? I scrolled through the first five pages of this subforum, didn't see anything about this vehicle. Should I take this as a sign? If so, I'll focus on looking at a 3/4 ton.
I tried a search, however, I'm on my phone and couldn't. Everytime I touched on the spot to type, it went away.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:48 AM   #30
notanlines

Gary, you seem to be stuck on Nissan brands. Might I ask if there's a reason? If there is then there isn't much sense in continuing. Unless I'm poking a little fun, I'm not in the habit of brand bashing. But the blunt side of this is that the big three are far and away the leaders where members are concerned. The two foreign brands simply can't stack up as tow vehicles like domestic brands.
Keep in mind that I'm only talking full-size trucks.

Mini-trucks like Ranger, Tacoma, Dakota, Colorado (I'm sure I'm missing ten or twelve) just don't even enter the conversation. Those are vehicles for high school girls to drive to school, other than in Texas where most drive F-750's jacked and chipped....

As has been alluded to, you have a very real need for a 3/4 ton or better for your situation. Wrap your head around that for a bit and see what comes of it. We wouldn't steer you wrong.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:44 AM   #31
skunked again

I am stuck, no doubt. We've had three Nissans, no trouble with them. Nothing but problems with vehicles we've had from the big three. Alright, alright, I'll take the hint!!
Big three, here I come!
Old 07-28-2021, 05:17 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

If you are a "Nissan guy" I get that. I have a neice who's husbznd had a bad experience with a used Ford F 150 in the 1990's and replaced it with a Nissan Titan. Can't convince him that basing a decision like that on ONE USED vehichle isn't logicsl. Oh well. Anyway, point is they tow an Outback about the same weight/size as your untit. I've checked the specs on THAT TRUCK and it's within its towing limits. They report "great towing" but I take that with a grain of salt when anyone is thst grand loyal.

Now here comes the BUT. He's bugged me for several years to sell him our trailer. I asked what he was going to do for a tow vehichle. Of course his reply, you guessed it, his mighty Nissan. I told him if it was gor sale I wouldn't sell it to him because it would be sangerouse to tow behind his Datsun (yes, a little sarcasm). He even got angry when I spent a lot of time showing him the labels on his truck vs mine, and on their trailer vs mine. I went over it wth pen and paper and his argument? Someone on Facebook told him "he would be fine".

So long voyage to get to the point so I apologize. Here's the point (I know, FINALLY!) The Titan XD will be plenty of truck for THAT TRAILER. Just understand that it vould be a short sited decision. There just wouldn't be much opportunity to go with a larger trailer with that truck. If you find out you all really like this camping gig and get the "but if we omly had a bigger camper we could ...." moment then you will find yourself right back here at this step. You'll once again be torn between a larger camper AND a more capable truck and you'll be out of the Nissan`s league.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:42 AM   #33
skunked again

That's what I'm wanting to avoid. However, with only two trips under our belt, who knows what the future holds!!!
Might have to have a wild turkey and coke tonight, nothing bad can come of that!!! LOL
Your correct, it's not completely fair to hold onto past experiences like that .
I'm also trying to accept the fact of trading in/selling a 2018 model vehicle (that we bought new)with less than 23,000miles, for one that will be older and have many , many more miles on it. I know, I know, it will be more capable, and hopefully/somewhat "future proof". This is just something I have to come to terms with/accept.
I KBB'd our vehicle last night, "IF" it's correct, we can get close to what we paid for it. On the downside, what I'd be buying is inflated.
Its decision/gut check time.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:47 AM   #34
JDDilly

Marshall makes a good point. It happened to us, as we got more and more into camping with our RV and the family grew, we went with bigger rigs. However, back then I didn't know what I do now about truck capacities. I was over loaded many times for many years. I would recommend you get a TV that gives you excess capacity to avoid being so limited. It allows you more flexibility as you travel, don't have to worry if you add a few extra items in the bed of the truck.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:47 AM   #35
flybouy
Site Team

It's a tough pill yo swallow and most all of us have been there. Good luck eith uour decisions.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:16 AM   #36
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunked again View Post
Thanks all!

Been eyeing up the Nissan Titan XD. The below link is for the new ones, I'd be getting used, and a gasser.
https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/t...g-payload.html
Thoughts on these vehicles? I scrolled through the first five pages of this subforum, didn't see anything about this vehicle. Should I take this as a sign? If so, I'll focus on looking at a 3/4 ton.
I tried a search, however, I'm on my phone and couldn't. Everytime I touched on the spot to type, it went away.
The Nissan XD and the Ford F150 HDPP (heavy duty payload package - not the 2.7L HDPP, the 3.5L ecoboost or 5.0L) are sort of in between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton truck. Depending on how you option them out, you will get roughly 2100 - 2500+ pounds of payload. You will find a lot of XDs on the lot to check door sticker payload values, the F150 HDPP - not so much. These 'unicorns' are very hard to find and are typically ordered new. I don't know how into bling you are, but I believe you can only go up to an XLT trim level and still get the HDPP package on the F150.

I would think you could easily advance to a 23'-26' future trailer with something like this, even with your boating accessories.
markcee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:43 AM   #37
mcomeaux

Room for Grandkids??

WE have a 41' and still not enough room for grandkids 1or 4....
Old 07-28-2021, 07:45 AM   #38
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomeaux View Post
WE have a 41' and still not enough room for grandkids 1or 4....
What question are you asking Mike or it just a comment regarding something in the thread? OP was asking about the suitability of his tow vehicle originally. Help me out here...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:46 AM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunked again View Post
I am stuck, no doubt. We've had three Nissans, no trouble with them. Nothing but problems with vehicles we've had from the big three. Alright, alright, I'll take the hint!!
Big three, here I come!

The biggest thing the Japanese trucks have going for them is the "perception" that their quality and longevity are better than the big 3. That was true several years ago but the Big 3 have advanced light years in that time frame and the Japanese trucks are stuck "back there" in a time warp. They still have good quality and longevity but that is matched by the Big 3 now. As I've told Toyota a number of times, when I get into my 2020 4Runner the electronics remind me of 2010 vs when I step into a Ram (Uconnect) or Ford (Sync 3?).

To avoid the dilemma of needing a new truck again in a short time because you buy another one "too short in the britches" that leaves you in "gut check" mode again I would highly recommend getting something upsized now. And yes, I, like so many others on here, have gone thru the same thing, wished I had upsized from the gitgo and went ahead and bit the bullet. Better to do it once than make it a recurring thing IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:03 AM   #40
travelin texans

You've come to the right place for good advice! As mentioned agood many of us have been in your shoes!
I will say the getting advice from 99.999999% of anyone on FB is going backwards. Lately I've been reading some of the rv BS those folks are posting & as Forest Gumps mama says "you can't fix stupid", those folks are traveling on the same roads as the rest of us. At 1st I was chuckling at some of their crap, but the more I read, it's scary as hell, these people actually believe what they're posting.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle