Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2021, 06:17 AM   #1
Maineiacs

Equalizer hitch question

Saw a post the other day on a different forum about removing the sway bars to make backing into campsites easier. The poster was referring specifically to having arrived safely at the CG and then having to back into a site that required sharp turning.

Anyone else done this? Seems logical but I'm just wondering.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:36 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
Saw a post the other day on a different forum about removing the sway bars to make backing into campsites easier. The poster was referring specifically to having arrived safely at the CG and then having to back into a site that required sharp turning.

You have to define sway bars. If you are talking about the WDH bars then no, no need to remove. If you are talking about the "add on" friction sway device that connects beside the hitch ball to a place on the trailer frame and has an adjustable friction pad then yes, absolutely remove it before making a sharp turn backing up. Not removing it can cause damage to the friction bar or even bend the trailer frame if you end up running out of travel and continue adding pressure.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:00 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post

The title of the post specifies "Equalizer". If you are referring to the Equalizer brand of wdh then no, you do not have to remove the bars.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
Weldon

I recently purchased the E4 WHD with sway. You do not need to remove the friction / sway bars before backing up, as previously mentioned. Before the E4, I had a Harbor Freight WHD and added 2 "sway" bars. You should remove those before backing up. I found this out after backup up with them still attached half a dozen times. Luckily, after a thorough search by myself and the dealer who installed my E4, I didn't do any damage. I really like the E4 and am glad I shelled out the extra funds for it. Much better towing down the triple interstates that I must travel to get anywhere in or through Atlanta.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch