Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2021, 08:16 AM   #1
champyun03

Selling

What is the best source for determining the value of your used RV?

Best place or site to sell?
champyun03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:32 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by champyun03 View Post
What is the best source for determining the value of your used RV?

Best place or site to sell?
You will get lots of opinions. Best way to determine the value is to look at RVTrader and see what dealers and folks are selling your model for. The asking price will generally more that the gettin' price so keep that in mind. In other words I might ask $10000 for my camper but likely would get $5-7K. Don't bother look at NADA as they list retail prices and I have found these prices don't reflect actual selling or even asking prices. Some sellers will quote NADA but fact is, they don't have a retail business which are what prices are listed for. Selling? PPLmotorhomes.com consignment seems to be turning over campers quickly. Not sure how much I would trust many consignment sellers unless you are familiar with the way they do things. Some folks sell Craigslist or Facebook market place and if you are on a main road, perhaps just a sign in the window will do it?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:01 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

RV trader is pretty good. NADA is another resource.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:37 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Using RV Trader, every "same model 27RKS" from 2012 through 2018 are all selling for (asking price) more than I paid for mine new, including tax, transportation and all optional equipment.

Using NADA and "squeeking as much as I can in optional equipment" into the price, mine is selling for a little over half what I paid new (minus tax, transportation and optional equipment),

So there's a $15,000 difference in what dealers are asking for a rig like mine and what NADA suggests it's worth at retail on the used market....

Who is right? Who is wrong? It all depends on how many people are looking for "this model at this time in this place".....

As a comparison, I am looking at a specific sports car as a "toy" to use in the summers. There are none available here, the ones in the southeast are $30K, the ones around Dallas or Houston are $35K and the same car in California is $45+... It all depends on how many people are competing to buy the same car vs how long they have been sitting on the lot "gathering dust"....

Consumer demand determines value in the used market more than most (maybe all) other factors.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:30 PM   #5
Northofu1

I used autotrader to gauge what my TT was worth.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:36 PM   #6
Gegrad

I had good luck selling my old passport on RV trader. Because it is specific to RVs, you tend to get more serious and more reliable buyers vs. a mass marketplace like Craigslist or FB marketplace. Pay a small fee and get tons of high quality picture space for a decent amount of time.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote