Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2021, 04:36 AM   #1
HawkeyeRN

Heater Not working

2021 Keystone Outback 2021, heater will turn on blow some cold air and then turn back off. It's electric furnace and everything else electric is working. Any ideas or help?
HawkeyeRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:19 AM   #2
Brentw

I don't know that model, are you sure it's an electric furnace. Sounds like a propane furnace that is failing to lite off.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:45 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

I’m pretty sure your furnace is propane fired. The fan is electric (12VDC).

Let’s start with the simple stuff:

Propane- cylinders full or at least not empty? Are they open? Did you just fill them? If you just filled them then light the stove for a minute and try again, you can also turn on the LP side of the water heater to help purge air.

When the furnace fan kick on, go outside to where the furnace exhaust is and listen for any clicking (sparker) or any gas smell. Th ere are a few things that can cause your issue, we just need to eliminate them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 03:48 AM   #4
Daisylady

This is exactly what is happening to ours. It will turn on and then blow cold for about 3 minutes and turn off. I thought we were out of propane but that’s not the case. The hot water heater works. The gas range works- I’ve never lit the oven. Is it the furnace itself? Ours it set up permanently and I can’t take it in for service.
Daisylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:26 PM   #5
Big 417

It's failing to light. Various causes. Make sure there's no critters blocking the exhaust. Could be a faulty sail switch, and or the main board. Some will last a week, some will last 10 years. Boards aren't super expensive, and easy to replace. We generally carry a spare, one day we'll need it, or perhaps we'll help a fellow camper. As they are a pretty common fit part
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:42 PM   #6
Daisylady

Great, thank you!
Daisylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:45 PM   #7
jvbutter01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 417 View Post
It's failing to light. Various causes. Make sure there's no critters blocking the exhaust. Could be a faulty sail switch, and or the main board. Some will last a week, some will last 10 years. Boards aren't super expensive, and easy to replace. We generally carry a spare, one day we'll need it, or perhaps we'll help a fellow camper. As they are a pretty common fit part
is there a test for the main board? or just swap it out?
Old 04-01-2021, 04:52 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvbutter01 View Post
is there a test for the main board? or just swap it out?
There is a test, but the equipment needed isn’t cheap. We usually test for continuity at the limit switch and the sail switch. If those show good then we test for voltage at the gas valve, and finally the igniter.

https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Elec...38461396&psc=1

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:44 PM   #9
jvbutter01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
There is a test, but the equipment needed isn’t cheap. We usually test for continuity at the limit switch and the sail switch. If those show good then we test for voltage at the gas valve, and finally the igniter.
Hmmm $180 for the tester... wonder how many boards i can buy for that price. thanks for the info.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:53 PM   #10
rhagfo

On the outs side you could have a bad propane regulator.
We had this issue the sparked would activate, might hear the gas ignite for a moment, then shut off. The gas draw was too much.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:30 PM   #11
silverZ

Do you have a black fuse in that circuit? I had the same problem in my 27RLS and read on another thread on this forum that the circuit breaker fuse can be the problem. I replaced it with a standard 15 amp fuse and it lights now.
silverZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:18 PM   #12
jsb5717

If the furnace is igniting or attempting to ignite then it's a post-ignition issue - propane regulator, propane controller in the furnace, igniter distance from burner, bad temp sensor, main board. If not igniting or attempting to ignite then a pre-ignition issue - sail switch, bad igniter, main board

A lot of potential issues depending on the symptoms. Set the thermostat to

Set the thermostat to Furnace, turn up the temp, and listen carefully to all that takes place. Report back here for more help.

Ours was a faulty propane regulator. The furnace demands a higher PSI than the other propane appliances so while the other items will continue to work normally, the furnace may fail if the regulator isn't performing at full PSI.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:43 PM   #13
Bapower427

My Dometic furnace in my trailer was short cycling amd blowing cold air for 30 seconds. I removed and cleaned the sail switch. Now it turns on and lights but it shuts down after about a minute or two. I have heat but it doesn’t turn on with the thermostat set amd won’t stay running. Any suggestions on what it could be without chasing the mouse on this unit
Bapower427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:57 PM   #14
jvbutter01

Sorry bapower ... I had just air in my line. it would finally start up after enough cycling.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:37 PM   #15
Bapower427

Ok so you think that if I keep cycling it the furnace will stay lit? And respond to thermostat. There is a buzzing sound when it shuts off? Maybe the blower fan doing a cool down sequence?
Bapower427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:45 PM   #16
jvbutter01

my issue was lack of fuel in the line. it will only try to lite for short peroid of time, then shut off for saffety, i can restart it enough times to get it to push the air through the line, that does not sound like your issue.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:46 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapower427 View Post
My Dometic furnace in my trailer was short cycling amd blowing cold air for 30 seconds. I removed and cleaned the sail switch. Now it turns on and lights but it shuts down after about a minute or two. I have heat but it doesn’t turn on with the thermostat set amd won’t stay running. Any suggestions on what it could be without chasing the mouse on this unit
Your furnace issues could be a couple of things, if it won’t turn on with the thermostat then you may have a couple different issues. If your trailer is still in warranty, it needs to go to the dealer for troubleshooting.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:04 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapower427 View Post

If you go to the User CP in the upper left corner of the page and fill in your signature with the year, make and model of your trailer and tow vehicle it makes it immensely easier to offer answers and suggestions.

If your furnace starts, blows and heats then shuts down I would look at the control board OR it could be running long enough to get the exhaust hot enough to trip the high temp switch because of some kind of exhaust blockage. Did that once by putting a "bug screen" over the exhaust.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:24 AM   #19
{tpc}

One of my "initial" un-winterizing techniques it to find the furthest spot away from the propane tanks and get propane to it first. For instance, the quick connect for the gas grill is located at the back of a lot of trailers (though not all). In this case, I have found that by opening that valve and getting the gas grill to light would help to push "air" out if the system for other things that could also be "T'd" off of said line.

I'm sure it doesn't work in every case, but in my case it has. Saved me a lot of fret and worrying about bad boards and regulators. Maybe something to consider.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:19 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
One of my "initial" un-winterizing techniques it to find the furthest spot away from the propane tanks and get propane to it first. For instance, the quick connect for the gas grill is located at the back of a lot of trailers (though not all). In this case, I have found that by opening that valve and getting the gas grill to light would help to push "air" out if the system for other things that could also be "T'd" off of said line.

I'm sure it doesn't work in every case, but in my case it has. Saved me a lot of fret and worrying about bad boards and regulators. Maybe something to consider.
I do this as well. After installing LP tanks for the initial use I'll light the bumper mounted grill first. Then I'll light all the burners on the stove. Haven't had an issue with the furnace, water heater, or fridge lighting off and working. I will occasionally "exercise" the furnace even in the summer. I'll pick a cool morning and run the furnace for just 2 or 3 min. so it will get hot enough to satisfy the t'stat and then shut down. I haven't had an issue yet but I'd rather know about it in July and deal with the inconvenience vs the end of October when it would be become a crisis for the DW.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater