Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2021, 10:15 AM   #1
rjgkayusa

2020 Cougar half Ton 29FKD

Door on Camper opens on Highway!! I just made my first big journey from Kansas City to Sanford Fl. While driving down the interstate the front door just flew open on the trailer. Scary. We stopped I checked the door was locked, sure it was. I closed the door and locked it, I pulled on the door. I could not get it to open. Came out of the rest stop, after about 5 miles the door sprang open. After several different attempts I ended up wiring the door closed. I cannot see any issue with the door, door frame or lock recess.

Water leak. When we parked in the campground we realized that the kitchen counter was soaked with water. We had some rain on the way down and while here. I will attach pictures of the top left area the water is coming from.
rjgkayusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:20 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If we hit "just the right bump at just the right speed" our door frame will flex "just the right amount" to allow the door to open. If we lock the dead bolt that doesn't happen. We also have a folding handrail beside the trailer entry door. I always fold that "over the door" when towing. That stops the door from opening more than 1/2" or so even if it should "flex loose". But with the dead bolt locked, I've never had the door open.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:43 AM   #3
Customer1

Are you using the deadbolt? It would take a huge amount of frame flex to open the door if dead bolt was used. The door latch barely catches and isn't reliable.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:48 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with the above - the deadbolt should hold the door unless it's malfunctioning in some way. Also that bar should hold the door as well. I've not had a door come open on me yet so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:51 AM   #5
jasin1

I would add the bar/ handrail to that door if it doesn’t have it already. I saw pics on keystones site where they had one on the rear door but not one on front door. Seems weird to me but it’s a pretty cheap upgrade
Old 02-07-2021, 11:57 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I would add the bar/ handrail to that door if it doesn’t have it already. I saw pics on keystones site where they had one on the rear door but not one on front door. Seems weird to me but it’s a pretty cheap upgrade
On many (maybe most) two door Keystone trailers, they are now using the "inside folding steps" on the main, front entrance. Keystone is still using the "under door, folding steps" on the rear door. In the past, they've installed the "swing away door handles" with the under door steps on the front" but not with the "inside folding steps"... In the past, they installed the small "hand grip handle" that doesn't fold on the rear entry. So, I'd guess the "natural progression" away from that added expense (for Keystone) is to eliminate the folding door handle on all trailers with the inside steps....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-07-2021, 01:23 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Ours doesn't have 2 doors but it does have inside steps and the folding door handle. I will say that we did see units without the outside door handle but don't know what the rationale is/was. I did ask about it on one trailer we thought we might be interested in (told the salesman we definitely wanted one) and he said "oh, they must have forgot it. We can add one". Now, that was a salesman and whether it was "forgotten", an option or didn't come with it I couldn't rightfully say.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:26 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Ours doesn't have 2 doors but it does have inside steps and the folding door handle. I will say that we did see units without the outside door handle but don't know what the rationale is/was. I did ask about it on one trailer we thought we might be interested in (told the salesman we definitely wanted one) and he said "oh, they must have forgot it. We can add one". Now, that was a salesman and whether it was "forgotten", an option or didn't come with it I couldn't rightfully say.
I wondered if trailers made during the COVID shutdowns and shortages of parts has affected what we see as a finished product. Do you think they are improvising and adapting as far as normal includes accessories?
Old 02-07-2021, 02:30 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I wondered if trailers made during the COVID shutdowns and shortages of parts has affected what we see as a finished product. Do you think they are improvising and adapting as far as normal includes accessories?
Keystone ALWAYS improvises.... You'll find "early year model trailers" that have last year's upholstery and cabinet hardware (until it's all used up) then the factory changes over to the "current model year features"... I've seen trailers with front caps that were "last years colors" with "this years FILON siding" and "next year's decals".... I've seen last year's bathroom arrangement (complete with a tub and shower curtain) when the brochures clearly show a shower with glass doors.

What "gets to me" is when they mix it up so much that a 2021 trailer looks more like a 2019 than a 2021.

I can't begin to count the number of posts on here and on other forums from owners who said, "I bought a 2021 because it was supposed to have a door to the bedroom and mine only has curtains and an entertainment center with no room to walk around the bed like last year's model. The reason we waited was for the doors and the ability to access the foot of the bed, but we didn't get them.....

And then there's the comment: "I thought 2020 Passports were gray with black front caps. Mine is tan with a brown front cap but the sticker says it's a 2020, made in March of 2019. Why is it a 2019 with 2019 colors and called a 2020???"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-07-2021, 03:10 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

In addition to the above, which I think happens far more than it should, there are E/W differences and I think dealer differences sometimes.

Looked at a new Cougar 315RLS and it was our choice to buy at the time. Drove to another location (1 state away) to walk through one. We just looked at each other as we walked through; it appeared we were in some other model trailer. Appliances were different, slides different AND, what took it off our list, the island had somehow been magically moved further toward the range making it very unhandy to navigate the sink/drawers/counter and oven. Unnavigable to us so it went off the list. Asked the sales guy and he told us we must have been looking at one that didn't have all the changes in it. Went back to the other dealer and it was sold.....
Old 02-07-2021, 03:36 PM   #11
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Keystone ALWAYS improvises.... You'll find "early year model trailers" that have last year's upholstery and cabinet hardware (until it's all used up) then the factory changes over to the "current model year features"... I've seen trailers with front caps that were "last years colors" with "this years FILON siding" and "next year's decals".... I've seen last year's bathroom arrangement (complete with a tub and shower curtain) when the brochures clearly show a shower with glass doors.

What "gets to me" is when they mix it up so much that a 2021 trailer looks more like a 2019 than a 2021.

I can't begin to count the number of posts on here and on other forums from owners who said, "I bought a 2021 because it was supposed to have a door to the bedroom and mine only has curtains and an entertainment center with no room to walk around the bed like last year's model. The reason we waited was for the doors and the ability to access the foot of the bed, but we didn't get them.....

And then there's the comment: "I thought 2020 Passports were gray with black front caps. Mine is tan with a brown front cap but the sticker says it's a 2020, made in March of 2019. Why is it a 2019 with 2019 colors and called a 2020???"
Quote:
In addition to the above, which I think happens far more than it should, there are E/W differences and I think dealer differences sometimes.

Looked at a new Cougar 315RLS and it was our choice to buy at the time. Drove to another location (1 state away) to walk through one. We just looked at each other as we walked through; it appeared we were in some other model trailer. Appliances were different, slides different AND, what took it off our list, the island had somehow been magically moved further toward the range making it very unhandy to navigate the sink/drawers/counter and oven. Unnavigable to us so it went off the list. Asked the sales guy and he told us we must have been looking at one that didn't have all the changes in it. Went back to the other dealer and it was sold.....
Good to know.. if I upgrade one day I will keep that in mind when shopping.
Old 02-07-2021, 05:47 PM   #12
markcee

Quote:
I agree with the above - the deadbolt should hold the door unless it's malfunctioning in some way. Also that bar should hold the door as well. I've not had a door come open on me yet so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Deadbolt closed and checked as is the standard door lock. We have it pop open continuously. Noticed it several weeks ago at the storage facility. Locked upon arrival and when checked on a couple weeks later, door is popped open against lock bar. Re-locked, yanked on and looks good....2 weeks later, parked unit has same problem.
Not sure of the cause, but just chalking it up to the usual Keystone (and it sounds like most other manufacturer) crap. I guess that's why they put that locking bar in place......
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 06:26 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

I'm wondering if there is such a big difference between some doors and others if there isn't some difference in the installation of the dead bolt depths?
Old 02-07-2021, 06:41 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Deadbolt closed and checked as is the standard door lock. We have it pop open continuously. Noticed it several weeks ago at the storage facility. Locked upon arrival and when checked on a couple weeks later, door is popped open against lock bar. Re-locked, yanked on and looks good....2 weeks later, parked unit has same problem.
Not sure of the cause, but just chalking it up to the usual Keystone (and it sounds like most other manufacturer) crap. I guess that's why they put that locking bar in place......
I think you're saying that the trailer is stationary and the door is "popping open on its own" ??????? If that's happening, it's not a flexing frame. I'd suspect someone is using your trailer as a place to take breaks or for a more comfortable sleeping area .....

If the trailer is not moving, is sitting in one place, there shouldn't be enough flexing to cause the doors to open on their own. At least I can't imagine any reason for that to happen. Now, if you were raising one side, or one corner using the leveling jacks, it's possible that you could twist the frame enough for the door to flex enough to pop open.

If the trailer is sitting still with no movement . I can't come up with any "logical reason... I'd suspect there's some "outside forces causing the door to open".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-07-2021, 06:42 PM   #15
jasin1

This is probably a stupid question but do the filon exterior panels expand and contract in temperature swings?
Old 02-07-2021, 07:11 PM   #16
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think you're saying that the trailer is stationary and the door is "popping open on its own" ??????? If that's happening, it's not a flexing frame. I'd suspect someone is using your trailer as a place to take breaks or for a more comfortable sleeping area .....

If the trailer is not moving, is sitting in one place, there shouldn't be enough flexing to cause the doors to open on their own. At least I can't imagine any reason for that to happen. Now, if you were raising one side, or one corner using the leveling jacks, it's possible that you could twist the frame enough for the door to flex enough to pop open.

If the trailer is sitting still with no movement . I can't come up with any "logical reason... I'd suspect there's some "outside forces causing the door to open".....
Yep...that’s what we thought as well until we moved it from storage and had it parked in front of the house for our last trip. Same deal, locked/deadbolted, outside bar secured and next morning the door is popped open with only the bar keeping it in place. I have locked and literally yanked the sh** out of this door with no success In opening it. 1,2 or 10 days later it’s laying open against the lock bar - or whatever u call the swinging lock arm.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:23 PM   #17
jasin1

My last shot in the dark lol but didn’t someone have a problem with the friction hinge deforming the door? Pulling the frame apart?
Old 02-07-2021, 07:38 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Mark are the terrains flat or twisted? What you describe is very hard to assess as I'm sure you have found. Just thinking, what in the world can cause a stationary RV "pop" a door open based on accepted "physics" or RV movement. I would not want to be in that situation but hopefully you can find a way to narrow it down. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:51 AM   #19
24mileboy

I had this exact thing happen to our 2020 29 rld, the front door would pop open randomly! Whether while towing or sitting in the storage, the door would pop open while dead bolted! What I did was add washers under the plate to move it out further from the jam! It took several times to get the proper adjustment and haven’t had any issues since! Good luck!
24mileboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:36 AM   #20
rjgkayusa

Thank you. I am sure there is a fix somewhere. lol
rjgkayusa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar