Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2021, 06:30 AM   #1
Quiroule

Ford Trailer Backup Assist

As anyone used the Ford Trailer Backup Assist with a travel trailer?

Is-it a great?
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:00 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It will help those with two left feet while chewing bubble gum, but it doesn't stop you from backing into the roof overhang, that low hanging tree limb or the gas pump at the truck stop.....

You still need a spotter, knowledge of where you are and what's around the trailer. Otherwise, you can expect to dislike the system, possibly as early as the first experimental use.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:17 AM   #3
travelin texans

Whether it works or not, anyone towing trailers of any kind needs to learn to back them up!!!
For RVs a spotter is a must or you'll constantly need to get out & check behind.
The visual aid would be very helpful, but can't/won't replace a good driver.
We watched a couple in Myrtle Beach, all sites are 90 degree back ins, the man (6'2") gets out from behind the wheel & walks to the front of the truck, the woman (5' nothing) gets behind the wheel, she backs in only watching the man's hand signals not talking to one another, no yelling & they nail it 1st shot, not pulling in/out or moving one way or the other, boom parked.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:40 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I'm all for the modern "driving aids" and that's great if they work but I agree that nothing to my knowledge yet beats the "human brain" for analyzing and decision making. Seeing the onslaught of car commercials recently really gets me riled up. It's the message sent that gets me. Let's see ... it's OK to eat french fries while passing a semi trailer 'cause the car will put you back in the lane. Its ok to take selfies with a car full of young women, it's ok to back out of a driveway and not check for traffic, it's ok to look the other way if a truck stops in front of you or it wrecks because the car will stop for you. How about we teach people how to drive and pay attention?

Sorry, I'll step down off the soapbox now.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
markcee

Yes, it works, to a certain extent. I used it when I had my F150. It does have a learning curve like anything else. I say it works to an extent because it will sometimes lose sight of the sticker you need to place on the trailer frame. This is because most travel trailers don't have enough open space on the A-frame for optimum sticker placement. This was the case with mine, and in doing some research, it is quite common. Either the jack, the propane tanks, the umbilical cord or all three are usually in the way, causing the camera to lose sight of the sticker, when your truck starts angling away from the trailer.

Once it loses the sticker you are pretty much screwed and will need to pull forward, reset and start again. As long as you don't need to angle the truck too much, it works as advertised.

If you already have the truck, it's worth messing with it for a couple of hours to see how it works with your particular setup.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:13 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

To "add another comment":

Recent studies have shown that automatic driving systems (the study didn't say whether it's currently available systems or "in research" future systems) make, on the average, 8 critical mistakes per mile of system operation.

IMHO, Ford's "automated trailer backing system" is nothing more than an "automatic driving system that works when in reverse"... So, 8 mistakes per mile... How many feet can you back up before the system "takes a crap next to your trailer" ????? And, is the mistakes per mile accumulative or does it start over with every backing operation ????

Another IMHO, if you're going to pull an RV, it's in your best interest to become proficient in ALL trailer towing operations. That includes pulling it in "D" and in "R"... Sooner or later, you're going to need to know how, might as well learn from the "get-go". Trying to "make do" late at night, in a thunderstorm, with poor lighting, a P-O'ed DW, madder than a wet hen, standing in ankle deep mud while you're in the truck, warm and dry, fiddling with the steering wheel trying to decide if it's "turn CW to go left or is it CCW to go left".... Well, you get the idea.... Dumbing down the public is NOT the way to replace gauges and experience with idiot lights for those who can't read a gauge.

How many of us would want a "junior surgeon" operating a robotic AI surgical system on our kid while the "old fart who mastered the technique is on break or seeing patients in post-op while "junior" is trying to find the OFF/ON switch for the stereo ?????

It's incumbent on every RV tower to know how to tow an RV, not rely on "automated systems" to figure it out for us.....

OK, I'll step off the soap box.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-25-2021, 10:56 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Wow! A great response from folks who have never tried to use this newest gizmo; only one response from a person who had used it and he mentioned "stickers and placement" and that might be an issue. I am sure every driver on this forum can back up and drive as well as our team of expert backer-uppers!
I would love to try this system (there is an aftermarket version that I believe will work with 5th wheels. I have been backing up for MANY years and have practiced and my backing up is still somewhat lacking. The aftermarket system is likely out of my price range.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:33 PM   #8
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Wow! A great response from folks who have never tried to use this newest gizmo; only one response from a person who had used it and he mentioned "stickers and placement" and that might be an issue. I am sure every driver on this forum can back up and drive as well as our team of expert backer-uppers!
I would love to try this system (there is an aftermarket version that I believe will work with 5th wheels. I have been backing up for MANY years and have practiced and my backing up is still somewhat lacking. The aftermarket system is likely out of my price range.
Yeah, my backing up skills suck too. I have the ‘Ultimate Tow Camera’ on my 2019 SD and do like the extra camera views and cues it offers, you do have to do the work yourself though, so it’s improving my skills.

I see you have an ‘06 SD....the 2021’s do offer the Pro Trailer Back Up Assist - maybe it’s a good time for a trade in!
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:28 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Would you get in an airplane if the pilot admitted, "I don't know how to fly this thing, but I'm great at reading the instruments and an expert in setting the autopilot"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-25-2021, 01:40 PM   #10
jasin1

I just saw that ram is offering something similar in there 2021 trucks
Old 01-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #11
jasin1

In boating when you get a uscg master license you have to prove your ability in Navigation and chart plotting on the test. You don’t get the benefit of using a gps. After you pass then of course almost everyone except diehard minimalist sailers will use modern chartplotters
I would like to have the skills for backing up in my head ,not dependent on electronics to do everything..what if you had to switch vehicles? Then what?
Old 01-25-2021, 02:01 PM   #12
jasin1

Look what gps in cars has done as far as dumbing down the population. Most people couldn’t get anywhere without gps nowadays. When I started running service calls years ago we only had map books to go by. I could get anywhere I needed with them. All your senses were active when driving..... now people just zone out and listen for prompts. They have no idea that some roads run parallel to others and you can get someplace a couple different ways.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:58 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

I probably shouldn't look at it this way, but:

There was a time people had to operate the steering wheel with their right hand, signal a left turn with their left hand, push the clutch pedal with their left foot, use the accelerator with their right foot and shift into second with their right hand (while still maintaining control of the steering wheel and not causing the car to "buck" by coordinating the clutch and accelerator pedal in unison)... Every 14 year old that had been driving the family tractor between the butterbeans found it easy to do, as did nearly every girl and boy, without the benefit of driver's ed, something that had not yet even been conceived....

Then around 1956 or 57, GM introduced the "hot light" and the "generator light" to replace the temperature and ammeter gauges...

Now, digital dashes still have a fuel gauge, but nearly all of them also have a "miles to empty" indicator... I wonder when the fuel gauge will become "trivial information that's no longer needed" and we go to just a "MET number" next to the digital speed... You know, sort of an "all encompassing display" like 256 55 270

256 miles to empty, 55MPH, 2700RPM

and, as long as no other lights/messages are illuminated, you can go back to reading your phone messages on the center screen and occasionally checking the automatic driver settings.....

I've got two grandkids (24 and 22) that I taught to drive a standard transmission. Both of them are married to great people with a huge, loving heart, but neither of them can even start one without running into the garage door as soon as they turn the key to start.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-25-2021, 03:00 PM   #14
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Yeah, my backing up skills suck too. I have the ‘Ultimate Tow Camera’ on my 2019 SD and do like the extra camera views and cues it offers, you do have to do the work yourself though, so it’s improving my skills.

I see you have an ‘06 SD....the 2021’s do offer the Pro Trailer Back Up Assist - maybe it’s a good time for a trade in!
I have been looking for gold on my property but have had no luck so I am thinking I had best keep the old 06 going as the only thing I use it for (for the most part) is dragging my 5th wheel. I couldn't possibly afford to make payments on a new truck or camper so just dream. We eventually are able to buy all the necessities and a few of the wish list but big ticket ain't in the program. Besides, I don't know where to pour DEF in a Superduty so that challenge would have to be overcome! bwhahahaha I am just trying to keep up with the pet supplies and electric bill...
Old 01-25-2021, 05:21 PM   #15
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'm all for the modern "driving aids" and that's great if they work but I agree that nothing to my knowledge yet beats the "human brain" for analyzing and decision making. Seeing the onslaught of car commercials recently really gets me riled up. It's the message sent that gets me. Let's see ... it's OK to eat french fries while passing a semi trailer 'cause the car will put you back in the lane. Its ok to take selfies with a car full of young women, it's ok to back out of a driveway and not check for traffic, it's ok to look the other way if a truck stops in front of you or it wrecks because the car will stop for you. How about we teach people how to drive and pay attention?

Sorry, I'll step down off the soapbox now.
Amen!

Driving is no longer a full time job anymore.

-Brian
Old 01-25-2021, 05:35 PM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
In boating when you get a uscg master license you have to prove your ability in Navigation and chart plotting on the test. You don’t get the benefit of using a gps. After you pass then of course almost everyone except diehard minimalist sailers will use modern chartplotters
I would like to have the skills for backing up in my head ,not dependent on electronics to do everything..what if you had to switch vehicles? Then what?
When I first started boating it was pre GPS times but Loran was available. Same was true when I earned my private pilot license. My flight instructor would not let me use it. I can still hear his voice saying "fly the plane like you have no electricity, that way you'll be prepared for when it happens".

I like technology, I'm a bit of a geek I suppose. I had my house "connected" long before there was wifi or the internet (back in they days of networking using Banyan Vines and programing in Fortran and Cobol). Growing up when the "oil light" replaced an oil pressure gauges my father called them idiot lights. They would come on to tell you something happened apposed to a gauges that can indicate something IS happening. So I'm not discounting automation by any means and using it as a another tool is how I approach it and not as a replacement that I'll become dependent upon.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:12 PM   #17
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
When I first started boating it was pre GPS times but Loran was available. Same was true when I earned my private pilot license. My flight instructor would not let me use it. I can still hear his voice saying "fly the plane like you have no electricity, that way you'll be prepared for when it happens".

I like technology, I'm a bit of a geek I suppose. I had my house "connected" long before there was wifi or the internet (back in they days of networking using Banyan Vines and programing in Fortran and Cobol). Growing up when the "oil light" replaced an oil pressure gauges my father called them idiot lights. They would come on to tell you something happened apposed to a gauges that can indicate something IS happening. So I'm not discounting automation by any means and using it as a another tool is how I approach it and not as a replacement that I'll become dependent upon.
Maybe I was being to harsh.. I do appreciate technology but I think it should be balanced with fundamental knowledge of what your trying to accomplish. I guess I’m guilty of relying a little heavy on gizmos myself ..oh well ..progress tempered with common sense is all I can strive for
Old 01-26-2021, 11:49 AM   #18
linux3

I use to suck at backing a trailer.
There are lots of videos on how to do it.
My favorite and the one that really helped me was to back up and turn the wheel in the direction of the side that is BAD.
Hold the wheel at the bottom, turn the other way, yada, yada..... Not good.
When backing turn the wheel to the side that is bad. If you need the trailer to go right, the left side is bad so turn that way.

Now, find a big empty parking lot. Get walkie-talkies for you and your co-driver.
Practice, practice, practice.
I'm actually pretty good at back-in sites now.

What if the Back-up assist fails? What if you have a new TV?
I think all this Assist stuff is just sales do-do.
Go find an empty lot and learn how to manage your rig.

Spend some time, develop skills.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:28 PM   #19
Steveo57

I never set it up on my old truck. But when I got a new truck last summer I went ahead and set it up. I have tried it a few times and quickly abandoned trying to use it. The last time I tried to use it it couldn't find the sticker.

Maybe I'll play around with it some more in the spring.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:44 PM   #20
wiredgeorge

This website is not for those who are expert backer-uppers but might help a person with somewhat stunted driving skills (like me):
https://www.towgo.com

Tags
ford