Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2021, 04:07 PM   #1
Ibdagriz

Low Water Flow in Bathroom Sink/Toilet

2014 298RE has low flow to toilet and bathroom sink, but the shower, kitchen sink and outside kitchen faucet flows good. Flow is low at bathroom sink on hot or cold, but good on both in shower. Same condition on city or onboard fresh water tank using the pump. Pump pressures up and shuts off, so apparently not leaking.

Decent flow everywhere else, but it's not fantastic. Have the sprayer type kitchen faucet with the head selector for sprayer or single stream and it's fair to good, but has been better on both pump and city water.

Flow restricted somewhere in the lines in the bath? Why hot and cold restricted at the sink but not the shower?

No strainers clogged on hose coming in for city water.
Pump is newish as was replaced last year and used on two trips with success.

I was without pliers to try to remove the faucet strainer on the end and couldn't get it off by hand. I assume it does come off like a household type?

Flow to toilet was weak also and I had just replaced the water valve as it was leaking on a previous trip, but was working the last time out.

Junk in strainer and in the toilet valve seems like the obvious things to me, but wanted any other ideas.

Thanks, Griz
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:19 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Most likely culprit are the aerators on the faucet itself. Take it off and see if the flow is OK and if it is, clean or replace the aerator.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:20 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The "common link" for hot/cold water at a faucet is the aerator. If other "nearby faucets" do not have the condition, and both stems on a single faucet do, then I'd suspect the aerator. Just unscrew the aerator, clean it and reassemble. On some older faucets, the aerator is "pressed on" and not "screwed on"... On those, the aerator is not removeable, you'll need to live with the problem, punch out the aerator screen or buy a new faucet. So, proceed with caution, your faucet may not have a removeable aerator.

On the toilet, if it's a Dometic, there is a "inlet screen" that can plug. On the rear of the toilet, you'll find the cold water connection. Turn off the water, unscrew that connection and remove the inlet valve. The screen is inside the inlet valve. Clean that and reassemble. There are "supposed to be two screws holding the inlet valve to the toilet base. On some toilets, one or both are missing. There are "spring loaded clips" that also hold it in place, so the screws may be missing. On reassembly, I'd recommend using screws. Eventually, the inlet valve will leak without those screws.

Here's a photo of the inlet screen inside the valve body. The screen does clog from residue from the water lines, backflow from the water heater and/or trash from the plumbing system that could have been introduced during trailer assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet valve screen.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	31386   Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet valve.png
Views:	296
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	31387  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:49 PM   #4
Ibdagriz

Thanks for the ideas. Toilet is a Thetford, but was thinking debris in the line possibly.
I've replaced the seat on the valve before, so I think I'll take it apart and see what I can see..

Griz
Old 01-08-2021, 07:20 AM   #5
Maineiacs

It's probably a violation of some obscure Federal reg, but I've found that when you remove the aerator if you also remove the flow restrictor washer, you get a much more useable pressure in your faucets. Remember, you didn't hear it here.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:10 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibdagriz View Post
Thanks for the ideas. Toilet is a Thetford, but was thinking debris in the line possibly.
I've replaced the seat on the valve before, so I think I'll take it apart and see what I can see..

Griz
Your best repair kit for the Thetford POS toilet is replace it with a Dometic 310 or 320!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:11 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
It's probably a violation of some obscure Federal reg, but I've found that when you remove the aerator if you also remove the flow restrictor washer, you get a much more useable pressure in your faucets. Remember, you didn't hear it here.
Oh crap!
I bet you cut the tags off your mattress also???
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:29 PM   #8
BigBobIa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here's a photo of the inlet screen inside the valve body. The screen does clog from residue from the water lines, backflow from the water heater and/or trash from the plumbing system that could have been introduced during trailer assembly.

Search was my friend! Found this thread.

Flow stopped at the toilet then seeped slowly while we went to breakfast. Filled the bowl and the floor!

Took the cartridge out and could not believe how much crap (at least not brown) was caught in the screen! Cleaned it out flushed a couple times and we are good!
Old 05-20-2021, 06:08 AM   #9
Ibdagriz

Replaced the water pressure regulator with a new one that has a gauge on it and it works way better. Better pressure all around. Haven't tried using the pump and fresh water tank yet as it's been FHU usage at all the parks so far..

Griz

Tags
sink, toilet, water