Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
JLEL12

Refrigerator Electric Operation

Hello. I own a 2013 19FLBWE Hideout travel trailer. My wife and I purchased the travel trailer new from Camping World. We go camping about once a month and this year, I noticed that it took quite a while for my refrigerator to come on using the Electric option. It is a Dometic fridge, model number DM2652LBX.

Here's a brief description of the control panel. It has an on/off button and then another button if I want to use gas. The panel also has an Auto light and a Check light. To have the fridge run on electric power, I turn on the power button and then the Auto light should come on.

Lately, I have noticed that when I press the Power button, the Auto light will not come on immediately. I will usually wait a couple of minutes and then turn the power off and then on again. After doing this three or four times, the Auto light will eventually come on.

First question is, can someone tell me if I have a problem with the refrigerator and if I should consider replacing it?

Second question--should I just leave the power on? Am I hurting the fridge by turning it off and then on again? If there's a problem, I don't want to make it worse.

It seems to do better when I use gas to operate the fridge. However, I prefer to use electric because we don't dry camp very often.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

JLEL
JLEL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It doesn’t hurt anything to turn it off and on again. RV refers will get colder/faster on LP because the flame is right in the middle of the “stack” and produces heat right away. The 110 element has to “warm up”. You may have an “eyebrow” board issue if the buttons take a few times. I have removed the board, use electronics cleaner on the switches and re installed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:54 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

A 2013 trailer that has "limited use" has "excess storage". Most people store their trailer without power which means extreme heat/cold/humidity conditions. That can lead to increased corrosion on the contacts of the switches and electrical connections in the electronic equipment. The eyebrow panel that Chuck mentioned is especially vulnerable to corrosion. It may be as simple as removing the panel, cleaning it up, spraying some electrical contact cleaner on the switches (from behind the panel) and letting it dry for a few minutes.

From your description, it sounds like dirty contacts or a failing switch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:07 AM   #4
JLEL12

Thanks Chuck and JRTJH for the information. I'll take a look at the panel and see if I can clean it up a bit. I appreciate the help. JLEL
JLEL12 is offline   Reply With Quote