Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2020, 12:25 PM   #61
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiller47 View Post
Our new 2020 Cougar Half Ton 26RBS @ 6500# blew out a tire on our second trip. We had gone fewer than 2,000 miles and had a blow out on the I10 in Texas. We fishtailed back and forth, but always kept control. No one on the road with us. Dumped nearly everything on the floor from the kitchen and bathroom. The TV swung out and broke the Velcro strap. We were able to drive about 45 minutes to the next town for an emergency tire change. We got all new tires in Kerrville, TX at Discount Tires. In my opinion, the Trailer King tires we got should not have passed inspection. It reminded me of the Bridgestone/Firestone debacle about twenty years ago. It is not an uncommon practice to replace the "China Bombs" immediately with an upgraded tire.
Stories like this help me know I made the right choice!
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:51 PM   #62
jadatis

The Endurance even 87mph= 140kmph= N-speedrated.
But this is not the speed for wich the maxload is calculated.

You should think 4 x 2830 = 11320 lbs together what the tires can carry, and that is almost GVWR.

But this is evenly devided , wich it never is, and for max speed of 65mph

My determined system is to give the tire a deflection needed for 99mph( Q speedrated and higher) and 11% added first to the GAWR .
Then if GAWR's fully used and evenly devided, this still would give no bumping, and max reserve, for unequal load R/L , inacurate reading of pressure, little overloading, etc.

Now I assume for 5thwh 15% on plate or whatever you call it, but correct me if wrong.

Then filled that in in my made calculator.

Gave even 92 psi advice , so these tires have to my standards to low carying--capacity to give a long safe live even if I use 2830 lbs it gave 77psi.

Assuming 15% on plate gives 9775 lbs on 4 tires.
4x 2830lbs= 11320 lbs, so 15% reserve, so within the new rules of 10% reserve minimum.
But still this could give tirefailure to my conclusions.

So if your cheap chinese tires fail, its not because they are chinese, but because 5thwh maker chose to little reserve to the rules of nature,to my pigheaded conclusions.

And then I assume GAWR's 9775 lbs /2 = 4887lbs an axle, and probably they are higher, think 6000 lbs, and then 3300lbs maxload is needed to new standards.

Can be that I am wrong, and even 25% on plate, so give me that info, and if you can find it, give the GAWR's, but for now this is my conclusion.

To my standards you need in ST 122 loadindex is 3310 lbs maxload

Then livetime of 6 to 10 years if you use 80 psi ( assuming E-load) and no terrible overloading, and cover the tires for sunlite( when standing still).
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:06 PM   #63
markcee

Carlisle also made in China?

I had the same Trailer King's on my 2020 Cougar 1/2 ton as the OP. This summer I suffered two blowouts due to axle failure. All five (4 + spare) tires, as well as the axles were replaced by Keystone under warranty. The replacement tires were Carlisles and I notice that these are also stamped "China" on the sidewall. I've read very few negative comments on the Carlisle's....what's the difference?? Are some China bombs not like the other?
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:13 PM   #64
jadatis

In my post #62 I did not write about axlefailure
If alignment is wrong even a briliant tire will wear unevenly , whatever pressure used ,
Thoug at lower pressure they would wear off faster.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:17 PM   #65
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
The Endurance even 87mph= 140kmph= N-speedrated.
But this is not the speed for wich the maxload is calculated.

You should think 4 x 2830 = 11320 lbs together what the tires can carry, and that is almost GVWR.

But this is evenly devided , wich it never is, and for max speed of 65mph

My determined system is to give the tire a deflection needed for 99mph( Q speedrated and higher) and 11% added first to the GAWR .
Then if GAWR's fully used and evenly devided, this still would give no bumping, and max reserve, for unequal load R/L , inacurate reading of pressure, little overloading, etc.

Now I assume for 5thwh 15% on plate or whatever you call it, but correct me if wrong.

Then filled that in in my made calculator.

Gave even 92 psi advice , so these tires have to my standards to low carying--capacity to give a long safe live even if I use 2830 lbs it gave 77psi.

Assuming 15% on plate gives 9775 lbs on 4 tires.
4x 2830lbs= 11320 lbs, so 15% reserve, so within the new rules of 10% reserve minimum.
But still this could give tirefailure to my conclusions.

So if your cheap chinese tires fail, its not because they are chinese, but because 5thwh maker chose to little reserve to the rules of nature,to my pigheaded conclusions.

And then I assume GAWR's 9775 lbs /2 = 4887lbs an axle, and probably they are higher, think 6000 lbs, and then 3300lbs maxload is needed to new standards.

Can be that I am wrong, and even 25% on plate, so give me that info, and if you can find it, give the GAWR's, but for now this is my conclusion.

To my standards you need in ST 122 loadindex is 3310 lbs maxload

Then livetime of 6 to 10 years if you use 80 psi ( assuming E-load) and no terrible overloading, and cover the tires for sunlite( when standing still).
My rig is about 20-22% at max gross it has 5200lb axles.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #66
jadatis

Then 5200 + 10% = 5720 is needed to the new rules / 2 = 2860lbs a tire, so 2830lbs is below the new standards, slightly but to low.

22% on plate , recalculated 84 psi needed, so still higher then allowed. Max 87mph gave 79 psi.
So tires have not max reserve to my standards, but can do.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:31 PM   #67
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I had the same Trailer King's on my 2020 Cougar 1/2 ton as the OP. This summer I suffered two blowouts due to axle failure. All five (4 + spare) tires, as well as the axles were replaced by Keystone under warranty. The replacement tires were Carlisles and I notice that these are also stamped "China" on the sidewall. I've read very few negative comments on the Carlisle's....what's the difference?? Are some China bombs not like the other?
Good question and my research of the forums suggest that Carlisle is a US based company that was started in 1917 and they run some of their manufacturing in China. Apparently they focus on their China manufacturing design and quality and their plants over there are ISO certified. In other words they actually take pride in their product.

Good luck figuring out who designs or makes the Trailer King and what their QC standards are.

Bottom line is that there can be major differences between China tires in both design and quality control.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:55 PM   #68
Gunny Mike

We had a blowout within the first 10 months. We just replaced that one but we have also reduced our traveling this year with COVID. I would have replaced mine if I was going to do some 2000 mile trips. We also added a TPMS and I do feel a lot comfortable traveling down the road and not relying on somebody yelling out their window at us.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:46 PM   #69
glendar10

Only when

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
I am going with the In-Command system since it will integrate with my In-Command app on my phone and I don't want another screen hanging around in my truck cab.

Not a ton of reviews available for it but it looks and smells like it is basically very similar to the other popular brands that use phones for the display.
I have them and well they work but only when you are moving not parked and that is from them as I though that they would work all the time but no way just when moving I think around 20 mph
glendar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:03 PM   #70
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendar10 View Post
I have them and well they work but only when you are moving not parked and that is from them as I though that they would work all the time but no way just when moving I think around 20 mph
Are all of them like that? Seems like they all would be otherwise the battery would die rapidly.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #71
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfilipiak View Post
I have a 2017 Cougar TT 29bhswe with Trailer Kings ST225/75r15. I purchased the trailer new. I’ve racked up about 10,000 miles in those three years. I just put the spare on yesterday due to a flat time. It was my first plat tire on this TT. There does not seem to be any nail or puncture. Luckily it happened while I had been parked for three days. BUT, this tire and the other three need to be replaced. They are all worn unevenly, which I don’t understand. Some of the tread is completely gone on one side of the tire while the other side still has decent tread. 10,000 miles on a set of tires seems terrible to me. I will 100% be replacing all of them, with a different Brand. Thanks for all who replied to this thread.

Axles are bowed a bit and if the axle bow is bent a bit, the tires on that axle will tend to toe outward a bit and you will see excessive wear. Have an good RV shop check your axles. Your rim or rims may be bent a tad as an alternative and you should attempt to have the next set balanced carefully. If they can't be balanced, the tire or rim is out of spec.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #72
markcee

Quote:
Are all of them like that? Seems like they all would be otherwise the battery would die rapidly.

My Tireminder system works at all times.

https://www.campingworld.com/tiremin...toring-systems

It monitors pressure and tire temp. You can purchase the system as linked above - that provides data to a smartphone app - or go with one with a standalone display. You do not need to be on the smartphone app to get a warning alert. A separate receiver (that communicates with the transmitter mounted on your trailer) is carried in your truck. This receiver will emit a warning tone if your set thresholds for temp and pressure are exceeded. This separate receiver is what also communicates (via bluetooth) to your smartphone.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:40 PM   #73
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
A better choice is LT tires. I did that on my outback and love them. I had to go up a size in rims, but that was only around $200 and it was well worth the cost.
You are going to have to deal with weak sidewalls on any ST tire.
I believe the sidewalls on the ST tires will be stouter than the LT tire, particularly with the new steel sidewalls....and no need for new wheels etc. - and have a higher load capacity.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:05 PM   #74
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post

There are Chinese made tires and "China Bombs". The bombs (TK) come from a particular plant in the Shandong province from my research several years ago. Not all Chinese tires are built under lax supervision or specs. It depends on the manufacturer and their oversight.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #75
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
There are Chinese made tires and "China Bombs". The bombs (TK) come from a particular plant in the Shandong province from my research several years ago. Not all Chinese tires are built under lax supervision or specs. It depends on the manufacturer and their oversight.

So according to your research wouldn't it be incorrect to say "China Bombs" when "Shandong Bombs" would be more accurate?

But that just doesn't have the same ring to it. So lets just spread the misinformation. Is that the way to help fellow RV owners?

Never been to China and do not work for or have any financial interest in tires made in China and never designed any tire made in China, but people will still accuse me of just being a shill for China.

maybe I need to stay off this forum for a while.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:20 PM   #76
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
So according to your research wouldn't it be incorrect to say "China Bombs" when "Shandong Bombs" would be more accurate?

But that just doesn't have the same ring to it. So lets just spread the misinformation. Is that the way to help fellow RV owners?

Never been to China and do not work for or have any financial interest in tires made in China and never designed any tire made in China, but people will still accuse me of just being a shill for China.

I fail to see your complaint about Danny's characterization of Trailer King tires as misinformation. In my humble and non tire expert opinion, when tires blow up regularly because they plant they are manufactured is not under sufficient supervision or quality control, then BOMBS seems as good a way to describe a specific tire product. There are several tire manufacturers in China that are under US quality and production supervision and these don't seem to get the bad press Trailer Kings do across multiple forum platforms. If you decide to stay off the forum, that is, of course, your decision. Good luck!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #77
rlh1957

Quote:
My new 2021 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32BHS came with Trailer King RST ST225/75R15E tires.

All the talk on the interwebs about China bombs has me concerned that I should trash these tires right out of the gate.

After looking closely at how the Cougar is built around the tires, a blowout would likely cause much damage and be very expensive to repair.

I think I read somewhere that the TK RST's are a fairly new model and with little history on them as far as reported failures?

So I am considering the Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15E tire as a replacement as this seems to be the only American made choice in that size with an E load rating.

Should I or should I not? If I do am I making a good move with my choice of replacement tire?
Yup same tires on our 2020 Keystone Cougar 29RKS Fifth Wheel. ST225/75R15E tires.

80psi cold, TPMS showed 95psi and 104 F temp doing 65mph, under gross on truck, on rig and tongue. Tires had 1500 miles on them when first on blew. It blew one of the left tire tread off like it was a complete retread. Luckily no other vehicles were near us in NM on a smoother portion of I-40-E so no others involved. No damage to rig.
Within an hour the right side tire separated in pieces in the same area, this time crumpling and mangling the fender skirt on the right side, this was before we could have found a tire shop to take care of the first defective tire.

To my credit and to our rescue was the fact that I carry two spares. After changing two spares luckily we were in a mile of a good truck tire shop.
So we got the two blowouts replaced as well as replaced the other two Trailer King tires.
My two spares are Not Trailer King but rims are not matching the OEM rims.
When they replaced to other two TK tires they said they looked suspect because of blemish or bumps in the manufacture.

So I don’t know anything about TK changing or improving but out rig blew tires in August ‘20.
Partly my fault for not changing them at 500 miles instead of trying to make a 3500 mile trip on year old manufacturer date TK tires. I knew I was on borrowed time so shame on me.
TK still sucks and is really hit and miss.

Some people still have success with them, but my statistics shows poor success.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:59 PM   #78
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

First highlight; when I address "china bombs" I generally try to point out TK and the Shandong plant. Sometimes I don't but I have iterated it enough I assume it has been read. I figure it's a much better way to help fellow RV owners than to say there is no such thing as a "china bomb" and all failures are due to owner negligence as you have done forever.

A "shill" for China? I figure not. An expert that has a predisposed idea of his diagnosis from the gitgo? Probably.

Stay off the forum for a while? Up to you but when one begins to believe their "expertness" trumps real life....well, I have a SIL with a PHD that can tell you how that goes.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:09 PM   #79
rlh1957

China Bombs and many other frustrated derogative and stereotype names have been added to inferior tire products being used in the RV industry...Pacific rim countries usually heavily invested in by US tire makers seem to be making the most of the mass production RV crap tires under a name that keeps US companies protected in litigation but makes huge manf. cost savings.
But there have been many US tires that have been sent out with poor and dangerous results.. Another reason to transfer manf. offshore and be able to hide the blame!

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:11 AM   #80
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I fail to see your complaint about Danny's characterization of Trailer King tires as misinformation. In my humble and non tire expert opinion, when tires blow up regularly because they plant they are manufactured is not under sufficient supervision or quality control, then BOMBS seems as good a way to describe a specific tire product. There are several tire manufacturers in China that are under US quality and production supervision and these don't seem to get the bad press Trailer Kings do across multiple forum platforms. If you decide to stay off the forum, that is, of course, your decision. Good luck!
If you're going to discredit the DOT why don't you say so and take some action.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires