Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
Maineiacs

Inspect your pigtails!

Headed out on a trip with our 3 year old trailer. Went to turn on the LP at the site and heard this weak little hissing sound. The pigtail had cracked and was leaking at the wicked bend that occurs between the regulator and the tank. Shut that puppy off and switched to other tank. New stainless braided hoses being put on tomorrow.

While I knew this could be an issue, I thought it would be 5 or 8 years down the road. 3 years from date of manufacture! Course I don't know when the pigtails were made, that could have been 20 years ago.

So, inspect your pigtails carefully folks!
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:03 AM   #2
bobbecky

About five years ago, we were going to be planted for the winter due to a hip replacement, so had the local propane dealer install a 100 gallon tank next to the rig. While connecting the line from the big tank, the propane guy commented about the cheap plastic pigtails, and how they had become very hard and no longer flexible. He suggested getting new pigtails made with the rubber cover instead of the plastic material on the original lines. That was again, five years ago, and those pigtails are just as flexible as they were when I installed them.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:45 AM   #3
Schbobby

Always check my propane hoses. After one winter when I was dewinterizing the camper turned on the propane and got that hissing. Turned out a rodent had eaten through a hose! Alway close my tanks when sitting in my yard after that!
Schbobby is offline   Reply With Quote