Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2020, 08:56 AM   #1
D.W.

Slideout Roof Sagging

I've got a 2011 Keystone Retreat and recently the roof on the main slideout started to sag. I can see light up by the peak of the slideout, and when it rains it leaks. I'm not sure if there's a way to adjust it or not. The ends seem to seal up, but the peak just doesn't want to.

TIA
Danny
D.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:36 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If the roof (ceiling) sags in the middle, I’m afraid there isn’t much you can do other than replace it. You need to determine why it started sagging so you can prevent it from happening again. Does someone climb up on the roof?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:52 AM   #3
Sulphur1

Had a similar problem with our 2011 Cougar High Country. Roof dropped about 1 1/2" in cent & HC fancy cover fell off - not enough staples?!!!!
Easy to fix, but had to get a friend to Tig weld the truss up.
With the slide in I propped up the center with a couple of 3x11/2" timbers about 1/2" higher than a string line between the ends. Also made sure the floor was supported on the main floor.
Made up an aluminum truss as this is very strong for its weight. Square section in centre to allow for cable motor when slide in. Powder coated to match interior if any is seen later. Fixed to each end and along supported roof front timber with counter sunk screws. Removed supports & replaced front fascia timbers which also covered the truss.
Roof remains straight & slide seems to move easier.
The uploaded pics are upside down & I don't know how to fix!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sagging slide roof with fascia removed.jpg
Views:	1154
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	29436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Level roof front with truss in place.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	29437  
Sulphur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:09 PM   #4
D.W.

Thanks for the replies. Sulpher, my slideout actually has a vaulted roof. Chuckster, as far as I know nobody has been on top of it, but who knows. Here are a couple of pics. It almost looks like the top is just leaning out a little bit. Not sure if that's from sagging of something else. There is also what looks like a turnbuckle at the top. Not sure if tightening this would do anything or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout Gap.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	29515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout Turnbuckle.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	29517  
Old 08-30-2020, 03:35 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

It looks like your slide isn’t cable driven, if that’s the case you can adjust the room “height”.

On the outside where the slide brackets attach to the slide, there should be a vertical adjustment bolt. With the room about 1/4 retracted, loosen the bolts holding the bracket and then unscrew the adjustment bolt. Tighten everything back up and operate the slide. Make sure you turn both bolt the same amount and only about 1-2 turns at most at a time. As soon as you have full contact on the sides and top, go 1/2 turn more and call it good.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
D.W.

You are correct, it isn't cable driven. I was looking at those brackets on the outside this weekend. I'll give that a shot next weekend and see if I can get it sealed back up.

Thanks Chuckster!

Tags
roof, slide, slideout