Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #1
Folkie

In-Command did not turn on, By-Pass?

Recently camped with our 2020 Cougar 22RBS at my cousin's house. When I wasn't looking he plugged me into his 30 Amp RV outlet. He didn't know I had an EMS and the breaker was powered on. When I went in the camper to put out the slide I couldn't get the DC to turn on. We have Global Connect with the latest software. After checking that all the fuses were okay I decided to power everything down to hopefully reset the display. After dinner, I turned the battery switch back on and plugged the shore power cord back in through my EMS. the DC rebooted and all was well.

After the initial panic subsided the only thing I could come up with is that I may have had a voltage spike, but was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar issue or was this a fluke?

This event got me thinking again about backups. I know that I have manual over-rides and that I can use the BCM to retract the slide and awning if the DC fails. Since we dry camp a lot is there any way to power the water pump or water heater at the BCM? I imagine that the pump can probably be jumpered but was wondering if anyone has tried to do it. I'm guessing there is no way to by-pass the HVAC since there would not be a way to control the temperature.

Something I did not try when I had the problem was using my phone to deploy the slide. Does the phone app also require the DC to be operating?
Old 07-13-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
MarkEHansen

I have an EMS and always plug into shore power with all the breakers on (engaged).

However, the DC (and BCM, for that matter) are powered through the 12V system, not the 120V system. You mentioned that "you turned the battery switch back on" - was it on during your initial attempt?

I don't have answers to the other questions you asked about using the BCM when the DC is out, but I would be interested in this as well.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:49 PM   #3
Folkie

I was traveling with the battery switch on in order to run the refrigerator. If there was any kind of surge it could only have come via the converter. Not likely but that's why I was asking if anyone else had the problem of the DC not powering up. Very troubling at the time so I was hoping to find a root cause.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:53 PM   #4
MarkEHansen

The iN-Command operates on the 12V system, so should not be affected by a 120V line surge.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:13 PM   #5
kjohn

BCM?? Help me out.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #6
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn View Post
BCM?? Help me out.
Body Control Module. It's the control box in the pass through storage area that contains all the relays and wiring for the in-command system.