Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #1
dewild25

Domestic Fridge check light

I recently got back from a camping trip and forgot to shut off the fridge but I opened the doors of the fridge thinking I had shut the fridge off but I didn’t. It is also parked on a steep incline of our driveway. After 3 days I went in there and realized I had done that. Now the check light stays on weather it’s on auto or gas. I switched gas tanks and tried to run it on auto but it still stays on. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for me. I have not gotten it to a level place yet to see if that helps. Do you think it is because it was un-level or I ran out of propane or a combination of the 2 or something else. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
dewild25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Running out of propane will cause it to try to relight and eventually go into fault mode. Turn it off and leave it off for a few minutes. DONT turn it back on until your on level ground. If the check light stays on, you have to remove the 12V wires and then re attach them.

At this point I’m just thinking out loud.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:28 PM   #3
Northofu1

Hello,
It needs to be fairly level, it doesn't have to be perfect, it will come on if your close.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

With the refrigerator doors open it would "run continuously" trying to cool the interior. Parked on a "steep incline" could cause the sulfur/ammonia mixture to solidify in the cooling tubes. If that happened, your cooling unit is probably "toast"... On the other hand, if it was parked so the cooling tubes weren't stopping the sulfur/ammonia mixture in the tubes, with the refrigerator on a steep incline, the electric or propane system could overheat the temperature limit switch, placing the refrigerator in "limp mode".

Both of those conditions, blocked cooling tubes from the sulfur or an overheated temperature limit switch would cause the "check light" to illuminate.

You may get lucky and completely removing power from the refrigerator may "reset it" and get it working again. My guess: You'll probably wind up buying a new cooling unit to get it running again.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:14 AM   #5
dewild25

Just realized my auto correct on my phone changed the name to Domestic instead of Dometic. Thanks for the information. I have not been able to hook up to it yet and put it on level ground and disconnect all power. I am hoping that fixes it and that I do not have to replace the whole cooling unit. If that is the case what a costly mistake. Not much I can do about it now other than fix it if that is the case. I will keep you posted on what I find. Thanks again for the insite.
dewild25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, light