Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
JBWardFamily

Mounting through back wall of 33MLS

Hi all,

I'm in the design phase of fabricating a kayak mount for the back of our 2017 33MLS. I know I'll have to water-proof it, but has anyone drilled a hole through the back wall to mount something? The mount won't be supporting the weight of the kayaks (2), just giving them something to lean against and mount to. I'm supporting the bumper to carry the weight (100 lbs total). Are there studs to mount to from the outside? Are they aluminum or just plain wood studs?

Thanks in advance.
JBWardFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:10 PM   #2
Canonman

I'm pretty leery about drilling and mounting anything to our Cougar. Have you thought about installing a receiver type hitch to the frame of your TT? They make some really nice racks that secure to the receiver with no drilling required. Plus, you get the flexibility of being to use the receiver for other cargo type racks as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kayakrack_500.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	27931  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:15 PM   #3
JBWardFamily

That's the plan for the bottom of the kayaks to support the weight. I'd prefer not to have all of the load on that hitch. I was hoping to support the weight on the hitch receiver and secure the tops to the camper to keep it from bouncing.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:35 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Have you considered a roof rack for the tow vehicle? That is a much more "conventional approach" and the racks are readily available, reliable, parts availability is good and it's a much more "common approach to transporting kayaks"... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #5
JBWardFamily

I need the back of the truck to carry our side-by-side. Trying to carry everything all at one time.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #6
Canonman

Man can't have all the fun if he doesn't take all his toys
Just a note, I've seen the receiver attached kayak racks on a recent trip. (they didn't have the bicycle part) These seem very stable and secure. If you feel like you need something at the top, there is a 2" frame piece that runs across the top. It's most likely aluminum square tubing and not extremely sturdy. Personally I'd try the rack without the rear wall attachment first. Maybe have someone follow you on a test run to see how things ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9738 (2).jpg
Views:	129
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	27943  
Old 06-09-2020, 04:46 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I wouldn’t even consider it, here’s why:

You have no idea where the wiring runs in the wall, and if you hit one, how do you repair it? Next, think about resale. Yeah you have no intentions of selling it....TODAY, but who know what may happen next week,month or year. Would you buy a trailer with holes in it? Would you trust that it’s been water tight the entire time?

We had a customer buy a $80,000.00 toy hauler. He Called 2 weeks later from a campground with serious electrical issues. It came back and after 2 hrs of “back tracking” starting at the batteries looking for a dead short we discovered 3 screws through the sidewall by the ladder to hold a flagpole. Took out the screws and everything started working right.

Point is, I wouldn’t do it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:13 PM   #8
JBWardFamily

What about attaching a 6ft piece of angled steel to the ladder and across the back just to hold the kayaks against something. I'm not looking for structural support, just something to take some of the load off of the carrier and to keep it from bouncing too much. The ladder supports me climbing it at 200 lbs so I'd assume it will support the slight weight of a leaning kayak.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

If your just looking for a bit of stability maybe an aluminum L channel would be better. Less weight I’m thinking.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:39 PM   #10
Canonman

I'd listen to Chuckster. His experience with things like this should not be ignored. those receiver mount rack really are stable on their own.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:55 PM   #11
JBWardFamily

I think I'm going to try an aluminum angle extended from the ladder. I'll post pics when it's done. After thinking on it I really don't want to mount anything permanently onto the back. Thanks for the advice.

Tags
mount