Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2020, 08:38 PM   #1
Buzzeebee

Hideout 338lhs dependability?

I go Monday to finalize the loan but does anyone have anything good/bad to say about plumbing/ or roof or anything? this unit will mostly be stationary & if its not major issue I plan to fix it myself. This is one of the few we looked at where the Manuf. doesnt void warranties if they think you are living in it.
Buzzeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

First, welcome to the forum. There's a lot of great information available for your use. We all hope you find what you're looking for at each visit, but if not, just ask questions and I'm sure someone will be able to give you the info you're looking for.

That said, I'm not sure where you got your information about Keystone honoring warranty issues on trailers that are lived in "full time". The Owner's Manual clearly states that Keystone trailers are intended for "occasional recreational use" and there's a "CAUTION" at the beginning of chapter 3 in the Owner's Manual that states:

"Your recreational vehicle was designed primarily for recreational use and short-term occupancy. Prolonged Occupancy can lead to premature component wear/failure and create conditions, which if not managed properly, may be hazardous to your health and/or cause significant damage to your recreational vehicle. These types of “Damage” are NOT covered under the Limited Warranty."

I doubt that anyone at Keystone would ever question whether you're living in your RV "full time" but should they ask, if you answer that you are, the warranty could exclude repairs for issues deemed to be a result of "full time use".... I don't think you'll have an issue with warranty coverage for that reason, but don't believe that "Keystone doesn't limit warranty repairs on trailers if they're used for full time living".... They do, just like most other "low/moderate priced RV manufacturers"....

If you don't have a copy of the Keystone Owner's Manual, you can download a copy here: https://www.keystonerv.com/owners/owners-manuals/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:08 PM   #3
Buzzeebee

I'm just going by what i was told. by the sales rep & finance department at a very reputable dealer. That certain warranty covered items are unaffected by full time living or part time living.
Buzzeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:58 AM   #4
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

That said, I'm not sure where you got your information about Keystone honoring warranty issues on trailers that are lived in "full time".

OOOHHH let me have at it.
Not trying to scare a potential owner away.
But right here on this forum.
On other RV forums also.
Day in and day out posts of people having warranty issues for a number of things that somehow the dealer or Keystone/RV industry won't back for any number of reasons.
Then you add page 3, read between the lines like they do. Part time only and now we have a reason to deny anything because you went and did what we said not to do, FULL TIME.

I'm sorry, I like our 5th and reading these forums taught me a lessons. Its by a large majority negative, by a small minority of owners. Want to know something its done, read very closely. Alot of times the solution used is why something happened in the first place the industry is known for shoddy materials etc, so why do something they did.
Weekender 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:36 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzeebee View Post
I'm just going by what i was told. by the sales rep & finance department at a very reputable dealer. That certain warranty covered items are unaffected by full time living or part time living.
It sounds like you've got your mind fairly well made up. You, like so many, are basing your decisions on the "promises made by a salesman". If you look through this (or any other RV forum) you'll find hundreds of threads identifying "sales promises" that didn't hold water after the dealership cashed the check.

In your situation, there's a few things you should know.

1. Hideout is the most basic, entry level trailer produced by Keystone.
2. It has "minimal insulation" so it will require lots of electricity and propane to heat and cool.
3. It's built with wood framing so it's subject to water damage more than aluminum frame trailers.
4. The "standard build" Hideout is a 30 amp trailer. It has one 13,500 BTU air conditioner. You can't get (or install) a second A/C unless the trailer is ordered with the optional 50 amp electrical service. A single A/C won't keep a trailer that size "cool" even on a "warm spring day".
5. You won't "survive" living in a Hideout that large in the summer without two air conditioners and with the "standard 20 pound (5 gallon) propane tanks, you'll be using a tank of propane every 2-3 days during the cold part of the winter. One member here had a "top of the line" fifth wheel, parked near Dallas/Fort Worth and in the winter, his trailer couldn't stay warm enough to prevent pipes from freezing and stay warm enough for them to be comfortable. The Hideout is not built/insulated as well as his trailer.
6. That trailer is 38' long, heavy with a 1000 pound tongue weight when empty. By the time you add cargo and hitch weight, you're at the top end of the 3/4 ton truck and probably into the 1 ton/dually range for a tow vehicle. It's definitely NOT the size trailer you can "occasionally tow with a standard half ton truck, which means "forget it with any SUV" !!!!!

If you are going ahead with buying this trailer for full time living, do your research well. My guess is that with a family living in it "full time" you'll be "upside down on financing" and it will be "worth less than you owe" when it no longer is worth living in and you can't sell it to get out from under the load payoff. The Hideout is the "cheapest thing Keystone builds, ill equipped with minimal equipment or utilities, constructed minimally, and heavy to tow.

It's not a good trailer to use for full time living and at the cost, you can buy a full size mobile home for about the same price. All you'll lose is the ability to "move it yourself" but you'll gain so much space and comfort in a home that's equipped for full time living.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:20 AM   #6
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

WOW!
Now I read a whole load of crap.

Talks about salesmen spouting crap.

Go to the Keystone plant and watch the real differences between a Hideout and a Alpine/Montana/Outback.

Overpaying for frills!!! BIG TIME!!

And if it is a full time thing and it will never move, or move less than once a year and not far, screw RV's all together and think Park Models. A truck can still pull one etc.

That's it done with hip waders time for a full body suit!

Weekender 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout