Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
tweetzone86

Microwave completely black won't turn on

Hi all! I have a 2019 Keystone Hideout 26lhs and woke up and went to microwave something and the microwave is completely black no idea why. Battery's fine lights are on, and outlets work so there's power to the trailer. No breakers are popped.

Anyone have any ideas? We're living in it while we build our house and it's already skirted and pretty much immobile at this point (as in, I spent $600 to skirt it and we've got snow and it's not going anywhere without a SIGNIFICANT amount of work to move it).

I do know we're dealing with mice under the sink and under the rear pass through underneath the full bunks, BUT so far they've not made it out into the main area, and I'd be surprised if they managed to reach the microwave. We've got traps and dcon set too.

Any tech that comes here is going to cost us up front and maybe Blue Dog RV will reimburse us for warranty. But a fair bit of our food is microwave, and I have two kids, so while we CAN live without it if need be, I would REALLY appreciate it working (least of which is because I thaw meat in there before cooking it).

Thanks!
tweetzone86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:32 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The microwave is held in place by 4 screws, one in each corner of the mounting flange. Remove those 4 screws, pull the microwave and flange out of the mounting space. There is a 110 volt plug in the cavity that the microwave plugs into for power.

Unplug it, sit it on the stove and plug it into a known good 110 receptacle. If it powers up, start troubleshooting the plug in the cavity. If it does not power up, start troubleshooting the microwave.

There is a fuse on the power board inside the microwave that will blow to protect the oven from low power sources.

My "WAG" would be that if the receptacle in the cavity is good and it's the microwave fuse, you likely had a situation the lasts time you powered on the microwave where there was a voltage drop and too much "other stuff turned on" inside the trailer. Electric heaters, water heater, refrigerator, converter, and the microwave turned on at the same time "can" (not always but often) put a high demand on the 30 amp power cord, cause a low voltage condition which means high amperage draw and will blow that fuse on the microwave control board.

Let us know what you find.

ADDED: CAUTION !!!!! While you're troubleshooting the power plug in the cavity, remember that it's powered on if the trailer is plugged into shore power, so use caution since your circuit breakers may not be marked properly. We wouldn't want you to turn off the "microwave circuit breaker", touch a bare wire and wind up on the floor (or worse) because the circuit breaker panel was "mismarked at the factory"...… BE CAREFUL !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:59 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

What John said, plus I'd give things a good look see. Mice love to eat the insulation on the wires. Try some Fresh Cab it works well.
Also check the breakers, turn them completely off, then back on. They can be very stiff to flip off and back on, much stiffer than a light switch. If one is tripped it can look almost normal.

Given the holiday, and the time it would take for warranty replacement, I'd go to WalMart or whatever discount store may be close by and buy an inexpensive micro wave to get you by for the next week or two if it's not the outlet.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:09 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Another thought: Are you POSITIVE that the generator circuit breaker is not tripped ???

Many times, a "blip" in power consumption can trigger a generator to interrupt power. Once the generator circuit breaker trips, the only way to reset it (on most "RV type" generators) is to shut down the generator, reset the breaker and restart the generator.

You might not have a trailer problem at all.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-31-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

My two cents. I have a dedicated 15A breaker for the microwave and the microwave tripped the main all the time while the A/C kicked on due to being near capacity for my converter box breakers. I have since put a plug on the rear of my trailer and wired the microwave to it directly and plug the thing in to a 15A or 20A shore power outlet. That fixed the problem for me.

Prior, I had a Sunnybrook and the microwave "went black" just as yours did. I didn't have to pull the microwave out as my microwave cord went through to an adjacent cabinet where the receptacle was located. Tested with a meter after ensuring a breaker had not tripped and found the receptacle was not energized. Come to find out that the receptacle was an RV type where the wires are shoved between blades on the inside rather than screwed on like a residential. Since I had a residential box and receptacle, I just removed the RV type and used a residential since all was hidden in a cabinet. The residential is about 3 or 4 inches deep and an RV receptacle is about an inch deep.

Found one of the wires had vibrated out of the blades and could have just shoved it back in but made the change anyway. Electricity vibrates a bit I guess.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:42 PM   #6
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Found one of the wires had vibrated out of the blades and could have just shoved it back in but made the change anyway. Electricity vibrates a bit I guess.

Good call...besides, who needs a sloppy wire connection sparking inside the wall?
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:53 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Good call...besides, who needs a sloppy wire connection sparking inside the wall?
All receptacles in your trailer and mine are this type. My Sunnybrook was a 2012 and they have a reputation for better quality and it just jiggled out of the blades. Not much can be done since the wall receptacles are the RV type and thin as a residential is too deep to install otherwise I would pull all mine in the Cougar and replace them.

I live in a manufactured home and they use the same style blade receptacles because you don't have to pull off wire insulation, you just cut the wire and shove it in place. I have replaced almost all the receptacles in my home for that reason with stick & brick style residential receptacles. We have had issues over the years with several receptacles suddenly quit working and found the one at the head of the line had a wire pop. There isn't that much chance of sparking as the positive and neutral ground are pretty much segregated in the housing but I wouldn't shove a wire back in to fix this issue anyway.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:16 PM   #8
retiredusps69

Elec Box

I replaced 2 boxes in our trailer to get rid of the push on wired outlets. Carlon makes a plastic box that is shallow with mounting ears.you can fit a regular outet in. Carlon B-108R. Lowes and Home Depot have them. Box is only 1 1/4 Deep.
Hope this helps others out getting rid of those no good junk outlets.
retiredusps69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:26 AM   #9
fatcatzzz

One more thought, there is a internal fuse in most microwaves. Most often you can remove the face plate to access it. I have had this happen and fixed the problem.....for awhile. If the microwave starts blowing fuses it most likely a sign of more serious problems and you probably need to start thinking of replacing it. If your still under warranty, get it to a dealer.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:25 AM   #10
Superduty64

We have 2017 Keystone Hideout 308bhds and had the same problem with our microwave. Took it back to the dealer and they found when they built the unit the put a staple thru the wire running to the microwave. They had to run a new wire from the fuse box to the microwave outlet. The microwave worked for the first few trips then the wire finally broke, luckily it didn’t short and catch fire.
Superduty64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

It is also possible that the plug for the microwave has simply come loose or out of it's outlet. If breaker is not tripped, that is what I would look for first. Since the folks that assemble these things are direct descendants of the original "Keystone Cops", you never know what you will find.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:11 AM   #12
vancouverbrian

Let me tell you my story. Just before Christmas, I pulled into an Encore Resort in Yuma and the microwave did not work. Looked online and figured out the whole circuit (GFI) was not working and replaced the GFI plug in bathroom. No Change. The next night, another circuit went out and looked online again. Something about no power to the propane detector. BINGO. Went outside and changed the power from 50 amp to 30 amp and now all my circuits work. The maintenance worker checked the 50 amp service and it was the power supply from the park on the 50 amp service. Must check everything. Good luck.
vancouverbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:33 AM   #13
upstater49

Just a thought...do you have a built-in vacuum cleaner? If so, the vacuum cleaner and microwave are interconnected (same circuit). The ON switch on the vacuum turns off the power to the microwave. Have y'all vacuumed lately?
upstater49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:45 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

"Something about no power to the propane detector."

Back in the day, the propane detector would stop the flow of LP to the coach if it wasn't turned "ON" at the detector, newer units arent wired this way..In any case the detector is a 12VDC appliance not 110VAC so it has zero to do with the microwave functioning.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #15
Mcuzzojr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetzone86 View Post
Hi all! I have a 2019 Keystone Hideout 26lhs and woke up and went to microwave something and the microwave is completely black no idea why. Battery's fine lights are on, and outlets work so there's power to the trailer. No breakers are popped.

Anyone have any ideas? We're living in it while we build our house and it's already skirted and pretty much immobile at this point (as in, I spent $600 to skirt it and we've got snow and it's not going anywhere without a SIGNIFICANT amount of work to move it).

I do know we're dealing with mice under the sink and under the rear pass through underneath the full bunks, BUT so far they've not made it out into the main area, and I'd be surprised if they managed to reach the microwave. We've got traps and dcon set too.

Any tech that comes here is going to cost us up front and maybe Blue Dog RV will reimburse us for warranty. But a fair bit of our food is microwave, and I have two kids, so while we CAN live without it if need be, I would REALLY appreciate it working (least of which is because I thaw meat in there before cooking it).

Thanks!
We had the same issue and discovered there was no power to the outlet, microwave worked fine using another plug. Turns out it was just the circuit breaker being temperamental. Although that was the first thing I tried, when a friend tried it and used more force shutting it off then on.. it worked. Hope yours is as simple of a fix as ours
Mcuzzojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:27 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcuzzojr View Post
We had the same issue and discovered there was no power to the outlet, microwave worked fine using another plug. Turns out it was just the circuit breaker being temperamental. Although that was the first thing I tried, when a friend tried it and used more force shutting it off then on.. it worked. Hope yours is as simple of a fix as ours
RV's are often exposed to significantly less than ideal conditions. Condensation, extreme temperature variations and long periods of storage without use can take their toll on RV components.

All of these can sometimes lead to damage from corrosion as well as set parts up for failures that you'd never see in a S&B home.

While there may be nothing wrong with your circuit breaker, the "worked for him but not for me" might be an early warning sign of bad contacts in the breaker assembly and could, "if the stars align against your luck" set you up for an electrical failure or, possibly an electrical fire in your power distribution center.

It's never "too much work" to heed the potential warning signs and check things out to make sure they aren't damaged or worn after a situation like was posted in the previous post.

Maybe it's being overly cautious, but...….

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-05-2020, 09:29 AM   #17
travelin texans

Hopefully you have a surge protector/EMS, hardwired or portable, if not I'd get one ASAP to help protect from faulty power sources like you just experienced.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:44 AM   #18
Qwerty

Be aware that microwaves have a ceramic slow-burn fuse and if it is blown, it's blown for a reason. The most common cause (as was the case for me) is the capacitor. Don't mess with capacitors unless you're competent. A blown capacitor usually has a bulge on top but it's also easy to test using continuity. If the multi-meter beeps, it's blown.

Hornet 26RBS
Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Magnum
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #19
vancouverbrian

In my story, I checked all the breakers. Then because it was one complete circuit with the bathroom GFI plug, I checked the GFI plug and replaced. No change. I do have a surge protector on my rig and did not check it until it dawned on me that it could be a power to the rig issue. I have no idea what is causing this gentleman's issues, but thought it could give him some additional things to check.
vancouverbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #20
Furb

Check the plug in. If there’s power to it, then it’s your microwave. If it’s not the reset the breakers first, also make sure you check your gfi reset button. That’s the one that always gets me first.
2014 NL 10-2cdse
1999 lund
Maggie the Jack Russell
Furb is offline   Reply With Quote