Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
Audionut

Cold water knob leaking in the outside water outlet where outside shower hookup is

We are newbies at camping. Just want to put that first.

Our first camper got totalled, (somebody ran into our parked camper), earlier this summer so we bought another, (it's in our signature).

We brought it home and hooked up city water and we discovered the cold water knob constantly leaking, (dripping), in the outside water outlet where the outside shower hot and cold hookups are.

So we took it back to the dealer to be repaired and we are waiting for it to be fixed. Then I remembered I think I forgot to put the water pressure regulator on when we had it hooked up at our house.

Now I'm wondering if we damaged that outside cold water valve for the O.S. shower...

OR, and this is a long shot... maybe Keystone set up their campers for that O.S. cold water knob to be a high pressure release valve in case some rooky like me forgot to put the water pressure regulator on with city water?

TIA, and PS, glad to have found this great forum.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!

If your house had too much pressure, I think you would have more than just one faucet leaking. Most likely scenario- tech didn’t bother to check the O/S faucet. I see lots of units come in with issues that should have been found/addressed at the initial PDI. Hope they fix it soon so you can enjoy what’s left of camping season.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:24 PM   #3
Audionut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum!!

If your house had too much pressure, I think you would have more than just one faucet leaking. Most likely scenario- tech didn’t bother to check the O/S faucet. I see lots of units come in with issues that should have been found/addressed at the initial PDI. Hope they fix it soon so you can enjoy what’s left of camping season.

We are beginning to wonder if the dealer even did a PDI. We had it in last week to fix a couple of items that should have been discovered and fixed during the PDI the dealer charged us $600 for when we bought it.

The threads were stripped on the camper hookup where the electric cord plugs into the camper.

And in the outside compartment where the hot water heater is the threads where the anode rod screws in were so rusted the anode rod only screwed in a thread or two.

Both these issues were fixed with no charge at the dealer.

However, once we got the camper home the second time we hooked it up to city water, and we found the cold water knob was leaking in the outside water outlet valve where there is an outside shower with hot and cold knobs.

But like I said, thinking back, I think I forgot to put the water pressure regulator on when we had it hooked up at our house and I am concerned this might have caused the leak. But there were some other issues we have found that should have been discovered during their PDI as well.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:28 AM   #4
WNY Bullet

The cold water in the outside shower is leaking from the shower wand or from the cold water knob itself?
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:56 AM   #5
Audionut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
The cold water in the outside shower is leaking from the shower wand or from the cold water knob itself?

It's leaking from the cold water knob.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:13 AM   #6
Roscommon48

if you just had a leak you probably should have repaired it yourself. you never know how long dealers will take to correct a problem. time to learn how to repair--and you will repairing for years.

as for high pressure, we typically never use a water pressure controller so i would not worry about that being an issue.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:18 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post
It's leaking from the cold water knob.
You may be able to remove the knob and retighten the valve assembly in the faucet seat. Chances are it's loose and water is leaking around the valve assembly. Easy to fix, maybe a 5 minute job that will save you several hours of hitching, towing, reporting, waiting, retowing and unhitching once you get the trailer back in its parking space....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:55 AM   #8
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
as for high pressure, we typically never use a water pressure controller so i would not worry about that being an issue.
Strongly disagree with this. I've seen close to 100 psi (Salt Lake KOA I think) and will never hook up without a regulator.

Even saw one hose burst at a local campground as the camper put the regulator at the trailer end.

Even the cheap regulator are better than none, but mine is adjustable with a gauge.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:00 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Strongly disagree with this. I've seen close to 100 psi (Salt Lake KOA I think) and will never hook up without a regulator.

Even saw one hose burst at a local campground as the camper put the regulator at the trailer end.

Even the cheap regulator are better than none, but mine is adjustable with a gauge.

I agree. First fiver in 1989, went to a campground, hooked up and took the kids to the lake for a few hours. Came back with water pouring out. Toilet supply hose blown off by high pressure at the hose hook up. Found out later that they run 110 PSI to feed 100+ spaces.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:04 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

That almost sounds like the drunk at the end of the bar saying, "I won't get a DWI because I know where the cops park and I take the back way home."

Ignoring high water pressure in an RV is "rolling the dice"

Sure, the PEX tubing is rated at 140PSI or higher, but the plastic fittings, carelessly installed crimp fittings (remember those "we don't care" employees at the factory) and the vibrations, twisting and pulling that occur with any RV when it's towed over our wonderfully smooth highway system, are all going to take their toll. Eventually, you're going to have a leak, probably not from the "superior PEX" but most likely from the cheap fittings and/or the inferior workmanship. Not using a pressure regulator is very much like that drunk at the end of the bar, ordering a "double for the road" just before staggering out to his truck to head home.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
if you just had a leak you probably should have repaired it yourself. you never know how long dealers will take to correct a problem. time to learn how to repair--and you will repairing for years.

You must be a big time gambler!
I never hooked up any of my RVs without a real pressure regulator on the water faucet or without a surge protector/EMS plugged into the pedestal. Those 2 items are must haves for all rvers.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:29 PM   #12
bobbecky

More than likely, it will be cheaper and quicker to just replace the faucet than trying to repair it. This is one that is commonly installed in RV's. If the valves can be removed, it is possible to find replacements, but all the running around trying to find the parts will just add to the frustration, where replacing it will solve the problem.
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-Phoe...ateway&sr=8-13
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #13
Audionut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
More than likely, it will be cheaper and quicker to just replace the faucet than trying to repair it. This is one that is commonly installed in RV's. If the valves can be removed, it is possible to find replacements, but all the running around trying to find the parts will just add to the frustration, where replacing it will solve the problem.
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-Phoe...ateway&sr=8-13

From memory, that looks just like the one that's in the camper. Thanks!

One more thing.

We found it impossible to plug the hose into that quick connect. And the dealer said you have to turn the city water off and open a faucet in the camper to bleed off the water pressure before you can plug the hose into that quick connect. That does work, but seems cumbersome. Is that normal?
Old 09-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

No it’s not normal. I can plug hose quick connect in with the system pressurized.

Old 09-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #15
Audionut

I just had a thought, what if, like I said, I think I forgot to hook up my water pressure regulator and may have had higher than normal pressure in my water lines? That may make that quick connect more difficult to plug in?
Old 09-07-2019, 04:53 PM   #16
LHaven

If the faucets are closed, the quick-connect can't possibly tell if the RV has water to it or not. If the faucets are open, you may get some pushback from the quick-connect, which is the only thing holding back the flow.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:08 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
If the faucets are closed, the quick-connect can't possibly tell if the RV has water to it or not. If the faucets are open, you may get some pushback from the quick-connect, which is the only thing holding back the flow.
I think the OP means a separate quick connect from the faucet, like a spray port. I have seen plenty stick from the factory and a slight tap with a large screwdriver often frees them up.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:15 PM   #18
LHaven

I looked at the link to the item and it looked like two faucet knobs, no filler, and a quick connect; paired with a bulky coiled shower hose. I've never had one of these, but I figured the idea was to store the bulky hose elsewhere and plug it in when you wanted a shower. This is why I assumed that just shutting off the faucets should relieve whatever pressure was on the quick-connect.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:29 PM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

I will admit after the day I’ve had, I didn’t look at the link. I still doubt his lack of pressure regulator caused it. And I stand by my original statement, you should be able to insert the hose regardless. I do it every day while performing PDI’s. I’ve seen my share of them stick, and 98% of the time the tap with a screwdriver has fixed it.

Over the years I have heard some crazy stories that techs, service writers and mgrs tell customers so they don’t have to address the issue.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #20
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post
We are newbies at camping. Just want to put that first.

Our first camper got totalled, (somebody ran into our parked camper), earlier this summer so we bought another, (it's in our signature).

We brought it home and hooked up city water and we discovered the cold water knob constantly leaking, (dripping), in the outside water outlet where the outside shower hot and cold hookups are.

So we took it back to the dealer to be repaired and we are waiting for it to be fixed. Then I remembered I think I forgot to put the water pressure regulator on when we had it hooked up at our house.

Now I'm wondering if we damaged that outside cold water valve for the O.S. shower...

OR, and this is a long shot... maybe Keystone set up their campers for that O.S. cold water knob to be a high pressure release valve in case some rooky like me forgot to put the water pressure regulator on with city water?

TIA, and PS, glad to have found this great forum.
I had a 2017 30RLI and the hot water valve on the outdoor faucet leaked some. They are cheap plastic (just like many other RVs) that are prone to leakage. You can replace this easy enough on that RLI.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water